Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Looking at the Pilot Sport A/S Plus in 265/35-18. Is anyone running these. All the Porsche and Corvette guys at work are raving about them. I've read lots of good reviews, saw them in person, and they seem like great tires that I can get lots of mileage out of for the 80+ mile daily grind I drive everyday. Everyone I've talked to say these things grip really well for a A/S tire. I'm just wondering how much grip they really have.

For DD I'd like to have something that does well in the rain, will last at least 30k miles, and can still be do well when spirited driving presents itself. Being that these tires are great in the rain and can average around 40-45k miles make them very appealing.
Also I have a 2nd set of wheels/tires I'll be using for future track/auto x, so I'm covered there.

Last edited by justin81; Dec 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justin81
For DD I'd like to have something that does well in the rain, will last at least 30k miles, and can still be do well when spirited driving presents itself. Being that these tires are great in the rain and can average around 40-45k miles make them very appealing.
Also I have a 2nd set of wheels/tires I'll be using for future track/auto x, so I'm covered there.
Looking at the tread, they should do exactly what you want them to do. I say go for it if you don't plan on driving in the snow... Everything else, they should work very well.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:45 PM

Have these on my g35. They grip the road
Old Dec 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to give them a shot. If they don't work out I'll put them on my wife's car since she isn't as worried about aggressive grip as I am. With her long 5mile a day drive to and from work, these Michelin's could last her years and years.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:56 PM

I have them on my evo x gsr, I used them this weekend at Eagle Canyon Raceway and they were great. I am putting down 425whp on pump gas and they are far better than the stock advans for my driving style
Old Dec 6, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
out of curiosity why not conti dws? if you're looking for ultimate grip it should be a summer tire period, with two sets of wheels which you have. if you're looking for the best dry and wet performing all season.. i'll probably be the re960as.. but i think dws still has it covered in the wet
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Everything I had read put the Michelin's above the Birdgestone's on wet traction. I was under the impression the DWS were more for winter weather than the Michelin's. We might get snow (really just ice) about once or twice a year. I may be totally wrong about that. We do get plenty of rain though.

Really I just wanted to see if they really grip as well as all the Corvette and Porsche guys say they are. A grippy tire that is good in the rain and will last 40k miles is hard to resist for DD. I'll post how they do after 500miles or so.

Last edited by justin81; Dec 6, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by justin81
Everything I had read put the Michelin's above the Birdgestone's on wet traction. I was under the impression the DWS were more for winter weather than the Michelin's. We might get snow (really just ice) about once or twice a year. I may be totally wrong about that. We do get plenty of rain though.

Really I just wanted to see if they really grip as well as all the Corvette and Porsche guys say they are. A grippy tire that is good in the rain and will last 40k miles is hard to resist for DD. I'll post how they do after 500miles or so.
ah totally understand. im just saying don't really except too much from an all season, but im sure you know that

also, correct me if im wrong but porsches and corvettes run the michelin pilot sport ps2 (extreme summer tire), not the pilot sport all season
Old Dec 7, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes they do. I think they are run-flats. These guys I've talked to have switched to the the A/S plus to get more life out of them, and to keep the rear ends planted in the rain. I've seen my buddies z06 slip and slide pretty bad in the rain. My buddy in the 911 just wanted longer life out of them. I think the ps2 has a 200 rating, and these have a 500 so they should last almost twice as long for close to the same price.

These guys don't really push their cars as hard as I do though, so we'll see. They baby their cars quite a bit. Not that I beat on mine all the time, but I drive it like a evo is meant to be driven.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 05:49 AM

I've been running these for over a year on my ix. Dry grip is good, although they dont give much warning before they give up on lateral grip. Best tire I've ever had in regards to rain, excellent grip and very resistant to hydroplaning. I used these during our horrible (or awesome IMO) snowy year last year with no problems. Also have no measurable wear on them, at least 15,000 miles+.

They are a little expensive, but well worth it. Of course there is going to be some sacrifice in getting a non-summer tire, but I don't notice it.

420 awhp in NJ
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:14 AM

EDIT: mis-read. A/S for P/S, disregard, below still valid for P/S.
I've run these for over 3 years on many different vehicles.

They have crazy dry and warm grip, good wet, but once the temperatures drop below 30F, ANY amount of moisture will run you into a median.

Had these on once for a freak snowstorm out of nowhere, literally look me 2 minutes at near redline to get up a small hill. Then once over that hill took nearly a 1/8th mile to stop from about 30MPH. Just slid down the hill the entire time.

Uber summer performance, not even a chance in cold wet conditions. The stock Advans perform better in wet cold than the A/S. Which says alot, cause the stock Advans suck, lol. Also they are very expensive and have very aggressive tread wear.

Last edited by kakashi; Dec 21, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kakashi
I've run these for over 3 years on many different vehicles.

They have crazy dry and warm grip, good wet, but once the temperatures drop below 30F, ANY amount of moisture will run you into a median.

Had these on once for a freak snowstorm out of nowhere, literally look me 2 minutes at near redline to get up a small hill. Then once over that hill took nearly a 1/8th mile to stop from about 30MPH. Just slid down the hill the entire time.

Uber summer performance, not even a chance in cold wet conditions. The stock Advans perform better in wet cold than the A/S. Which says alot, cause the stock Advans suck, lol. Also they are very expensive and have very aggressive tread wear.
I have a hard time believing that all season tires like the Pilot Sport A/S would perform worse than the Advans being of an ultra high performance summer tire in cold temperatures. Are you sure you aren't confusing these with Pilot PS2 tires as they are pretty grippy summer tires.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:52 PM

Yeah youre right.

I should stop skimming, ill go edit.