Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Rear Strut Brace

Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Rear Strut Brace

Has anyone bought this or had it installed? Is it worth the money to have it or are there better alternative to the OEM one that dealers are offering. your thoughts please. thanks.

was looking into getting it for a better ride, just not convinced it's worth it just yet...maybe later down the line. This is for a 2011 evo MR that is barely 300miles.

Should i wait and enjoy the stock ride for a bit before i pose these kind of questions?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a rear sway bar. it'll do more for handling than a rear strut bar will ever do
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chebosto
get a rear sway bar. it'll do more for handling than a rear strut bar will ever do
+1 on that
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a cusco rear strut bar and it did make a slight change in turn entry in reducing understeer. The sway bar will do more, but if it's overpowering your springs and strut droop causing tripoding it's not worth purchasing. I'd recommend going with stiffer springs all around first.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chebosto
sorry, this is a nOOb question, but isn't the sway bar stock on 2011 evo x? i double checked the specifications and it said this:

Front: MacPherson type strut(inverted strut) with forged aluminum control arms MacPherson type strut(inverted strut) with forged aluminum control arms
[Eibach springs and Bilstein shock absorbers]

Front Stabilizer Bar Diameter (mm): 25

Rear: Multi-link type suspension with forged aluminum control arms, Multi-link type suspension with forged aluminum control arms

Rear Stabilizer Bar Diameter (mm): 23

i guess the stabilizer bar is different from a sway bar? please advise, but i honestly thought they were the same thing based on this definition...

Stabilizer bars are part of a car's suspension system. They are sometimes also called anti-sway bars or anti-roll bars. Their purpose in life is to try to keep the car's body from "rolling" in a sharp turn. from "how stuff works, website.

i use my evo, for DD and will most likely not see any track time or canyons ( i have a motorcycle for that) but i still would like a great ride. maybe for daily driving, the stock stuff listed above is fine, no? Should i be looking into adding a front brace, sway bars, strut bars, etc...if i only commute? or am i wasting my time and $.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Segfault
I bought a cusco rear strut bar and it did make a slight change in turn entry in reducing understeer. The sway bar will do more, but if it's overpowering your springs and strut droop causing tripoding it's not worth purchasing. I'd recommend going with stiffer springs all around first.
oh, thanks. i didn't even think about that. I guess the ebach springs and blisten shocks are just "ok" right. Maybe i should look into stiffer springs. any recommendations or brands i should look towards?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reddragun3
sorry, this is a nOOb question, but isn't the sway bar stock on 2011 evo x? i double checked the specifications and it said this:

Front: MacPherson type strut(inverted strut) with forged aluminum control arms MacPherson type strut(inverted strut) with forged aluminum control arms

Front Stabilizer Bar Diameter (mm): 25

Rear: Multi-link type suspension with forged aluminum control arms, Multi-link type suspension with forged aluminum control arms

Rear Stabilizer Bar Diameter (mm): 23

i guess the stabilizer bar is different from a sway bar? please advise, but i honestly thought they were the same thing based on this definition...

Stabilizer bars are part of a car's suspension system. They are sometimes also called anti-sway bars or anti-roll bars. Their purpose in life is to try to keep the car's body from "rolling" in a sharp turn. from "how stuff works, website.

i use my evo, for DD and will most likely not see any track time or canyons ( i have a motorcycle for that) but i still would like a great ride. maybe for daily driving, the stock stuff listed above is fine, no? Should i be looking into adding a front brace, sway bars, strut bars, etc...if i only commute? or am i wasting my time and $.
they meant to get a new, thicker diameter, sway bar to replace the stock one. if you dont race, then stock is fine. if you do some track days and want better handling then maybe its worth it, but for the DD duty you listed above, stock is fine.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by madfast
they meant to get a new, thicker diameter, sway bar to replace the stock one. if you dont race, then stock is fine. if you do some track days and want better handling then maybe its worth it, but for the DD duty you listed above, stock is fine.
thanks for clearing that up. for DD yes, i will stay stock and save the money up for the navi that i didn't get.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Whiteline 27mm RSB + endlinks