Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dealer quotes rotors+pads for $2800!!! Can I resurface or should I buy new?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer quotes rotors+pads for $2800!!! Can I resurface or should I buy new?

So the mitsu dealer quoted me for front and rear rotors and pads for about $2800 Even tried telling me they called the local performance shop and that they confirmed there are no aftermarket options for the X!

Originally I had mitsu look at my breaks because a tire shop advised that I needed new pads within approx. 60 days. They gave me a quote for $600- new pads (front and rear) and all four rotors resurfaced. This was about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday mitsu gave me the quote for $2800. When I asked about resurfacing the service rep told me no way.

I just ordered girodisc magic pads. Can I resurface my rotors or should I buy new ones. The rotors do have a lip on the edge that can be felt by hand. If I get new rotors, I'll probably get the gyrodisc 1 pc rotors. I know I need the pads, but I suspect I can get away with resurfacing and getting new rotors down the line a little bit. MR has 40k on it.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Dude how far are you from STM? For $2800 you'll come out with new lightweight rotors, new pads and about 150 more horsepower. Seriously.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RayKraft
So the mitsu dealer quoted me for front and rear rotors and pads for about $2800 Even tried telling me they called the local performance shop and that they confirmed there are no aftermarket options for the X!

Originally I had mitsu look at my breaks because a tire shop advised that I needed new pads within approx. 60 days. They gave me a quote for $600- new pads (front and rear) and all four rotors resurfaced. This was about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday mitsu gave me the quote for $2800. When I asked about resurfacing the service rep told me no way.

I just ordered girodisc magic pads. Can I resurface my rotors or should I buy new ones. The rotors do have a lip on the edge that can be felt by hand. If I get new rotors, I'll probably get the gyrodisc 1 pc rotors. I know I need the pads, but I suspect I can get away with resurfacing and getting new rotors down the line a little bit. MR has 40k on it.
I would suggest you check out the GiroDisc link below. They have everything you need for your Evo X (when it comes to brakes). And their rotors are nicely engineered. This link is for their "all things Evo X" product line:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-lineup.html

You should, obviously, avoid your "Stealership" like the plague. As far as re-surfacing goes, GiroDisc can (I believe) do that as well. Or go to a local machine shop if you need same-day turn-around. As long as the disc's have enough material on them, you can turn them down and replace the pads (which you've already ordered) to do a typical brake service on your Evo X.

Just wanted to add that there is nothing wrong with resurfacing a disc brake rotor, so long as you have adequate material left on them to smooth the surface without going under minimum thickness.

Last edited by jmastrol; May 27, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Add a comment on resurfacing.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what the aftermarket has for the MR since thats a 2pc rotor already? I would probably just replace it with a 1pc, but I'm cheap like that.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by olmoscd
Dude how far are you from STM? For $2800 you'll come out with new lightweight rotors, new pads and about 150 more horsepower. Seriously.
Not far. Dealership actually said they called STM. That's what I was saying...$2800

I don't have the cash right now to invest in an upgrade though, so I guess I'm just going to resurface and slap on these pads.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

if you don't use your car for road race/ auto x / rally etc.. then you wont need another 2 piece rotor.

depending on the thickness of your rotor now you can probably go ahead and resurface what you have now..

I'm assuming the car isn't used for any form of motorsport that requires brakes. so i would just either resurface your rotors or get single piece centric premium blanks

centric blanks
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...autoModClar=MR

Last edited by Montu; May 27, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Do the other people in your area a favor and send a letter to Mitsu North America. Just give them the facts - i.e., what the dealer said vs what is actually available from sources that Mitsu North America will have heard of, such as Tire Rack - and leave it to them to rip the dealer a new one.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Do the other people in your area a favor and send a letter to Mitsu North America. Just give them the facts - i.e., what the dealer said vs what is actually available from sources that Mitsu North America will have heard of, such as Tire Rack - and leave it to them to rip the dealer a new one.
+1! Sick and tired of dealerships price gauging.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RayKraft

HOLY CRAP!!!
Originally Posted by olmoscd

Originally Posted by FoxFister
+1! Sick and tired of dealerships price gauging.
+++++1
Old May 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
How many miles do you have on the rotors? If you need new ones I would just order the Girodisc 1pc rotors. They are a great deal. Or if you GOTTA HAVE 2-piece rotors, I would also order from them.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Why are people mad at $2800 for brakes through the dealership? Do you know how much they would charge for the 2-piece stock rotors that come on the MR? To get 2-piece rotors all the way around and new OEM pads, that is around what I would guess from a dealership.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is where your dealership got that price from...straight out of the mitsubishi evolution catalog there wasnt much price gouging here...thats the price for OEM parts from the dealership...

Front Rotor, lancer evolution, 6 speed
08-10 $677.20 $555.77

Front pads, lancer evolution
08-10 $345.50 $261.74

Rear Rotor, lancer evolution
08-10 $255.73 $193.73

Rear pads, lancer evolution
2008 $328.00 $248.48

oemmitsubishiparts.net

learn to use catalog to avoid calling dealership for every part quote and so when you do call or go in you know what the msrp is (first number) and what the dealer will typically sell it for (second number) so you dont get ripped off.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone make replacements discs for the MR rotors that reuse the OEM hats? they're nice, so why waste them?
Old May 27, 2011, 03:45 PM

40K on the rotors. ^^And yea those are the same numbers (the higher ones).
Old May 31, 2011, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2800 is ridiculous but that's they way the ball bounces. For that you can get our Stage 5 and be ready to hit the track like Ryan Gates and still have 300.00 to pay for your entree fee and gas.

Quick Reply: Dealer quotes rotors+pads for $2800!!! Can I resurface or should I buy new?