Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes are squeaking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes are squeaking

Well my car has almost 9,000 miles on it and my brakes are squeaking pretty badly when I come to a slow stop. I bought the car used for a great price and it had about 7,000 miles on it.

Are the breaks supposed to be going out this soon? I suppose it depends on how hard I or the previous owner would apply the brakes. What are some good brakes pads to purchase for my Evo X? Thanks guys
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the same problem on my ego x too. Iris try the brake cleaner but it still. I think ill bring my car to the dealer next week to check it out
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
With only 9k miles I doubt the pads are worn down to the wear indicators, but it's easy to check, especially with the wheels off. All you need is a flashlight and your eyeballs to see how much pad material is left.

A more likely cause of the noise with 9k miles would be the colder winter temps and a glazed pad. Go do some fast hard stops to really get some heat into the pads and I bet the noise goes away. Performance pads like to be beat on
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice. Gonna check them out today and see what's going on.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:51 AM
pHi

It's normal. The edges of the rotors rust and drop little bits between the pads and rotors. Use air-blast or buy Hawks HPS .
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:57 AM

i have this same problem!! mine started at around 12k miles and now im at 15k and its getting pretty unbearable...pretty embarrassing too...i took off my wheels and slid the pads out, they looked perfectly fine though..not worn down too bad at all...im going to try some hard stops and air-blast...

O/P did you fix anything with those recommendations?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Mine do the exact same thing when the temperature is near or below zero. Like Kracka suggested, I'm able to get rid of it by just breaking fairly agressively from about 25mph to a stop. One quick stop does the trick. My pads get pretty glazed up when there is salt and moisture on the roads from the snow.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

brake dust, cold temp.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Mine do the exact same thing when the temperature is near or below zero. Like Kracka suggested, I'm able to get rid of it by just breaking fairly agressively from about 25mph to a stop. One quick stop does the trick. My pads get pretty glazed up when there is salt and moisture on the roads from the snow.
Originally Posted by Kracka
With only 9k miles I doubt the pads are worn down to the wear indicators, but it's easy to check, especially with the wheels off. All you need is a flashlight and your eyeballs to see how much pad material is left.

A more likely cause of the noise with 9k miles would be the colder winter temps and a glazed pad. Go do some fast hard stops to really get some heat into the pads and I bet the noise goes away. Performance pads like to be beat on
Yup same with my brakes. It has gotten colder here too and I agree it's annoying lol.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you guys are still continuing to have problems, check out our Girodisc Magic Pads. They're a really affordable OEM replacement option that perform excellent and have virtually NO dust or noise. Do some searches and you'll see that most people with them love them.

PM me if you'd like more info or if you'd like to place an order!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad I read this thread, only ~2k miles on the car and I have squeaky brakes.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:55 PM

Dont buy Hawk HPS pads.... there are pads the same price that are twice as good. Do some research on this forum, the information you need with supporting evidence is out there.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:27 PM

I just purchased some Racing Brake pads after lots of research. Should be on the car within the next week, I can report back how they turn out to be.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

No matter what brand of pads you run, in the winter most people change their habits of washing the car that removes the dust (not rust) of the pads that are singing to you, vibrating layer between force of piston and the rotors (Rotors make really good sound instruments). If you can find a heated bay to hose them down regularly, it'll help a lot. There's just so much massive area (think big TRUCK) as well as generally pretty sticky pads (wear rate higher than on big trucks), squealing brakes is part of owning this car.