Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Love the new Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I almost bought these but didn't spend the extra cash, wish I did. My brother loves his on his M3. I read they ran them at the 24hr of La mans and they set some records. I will probably try next.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Um, yes, cars on Michelins have won a bunch of Le Mans events, including the last two, but not on Pilot Sport Cups. I believe that you're over-interpreting what those press-releases mean when they say stuff like "using what we learned while winning the 24 hours of Le Mans, we bring you the Pilot Sport Cup."

Not that they aren't a good tire. Just that they are not that good.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Um, yes, cars on Michelins have won a bunch of Le Mans events, including the last two, but not on Pilot Sport Cups. I believe that you're over-interpreting what those press-releases mean when they say stuff like "using what we learned while winning the 24 hours of Le Mans, we bring you the Pilot Sport Cup."

Not entirely true. The outside of the SS is made of an endurance racing compound that was developed in the La Mans series. Its the reason why this tire has a treadlife warranty.

I have had these tires on my X MR since they came out. I have not ever had an R spec tire on, but these are the best performing street tires on the market WITH everyday comfort and wet performance. I am sure there are some R Spec that might do a little better, but if you want the best of both performance and comfort, this is it.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Sorry, street tire compound clarification needed.
The R&A 6 are both DOT, doesn't that make them a street tire?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I'm impressed that anyone has had Pilot Sport Cups on their Evo X since they came out.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
^Theyre talking about Super Sports, not Pilot Sport Cups... Well idk about thejoshster since he quoted you, but the rest of the thread is about...

Black95tt
How do these compare to the re01's?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Wait. Reading skills are a prerequisite? Bummer.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

I was just looking at the specs of these Pilot Super Sport. These tires seems very awesome... First of all ... Michelins' technology for light weight tires is amazing at 245/40/18 (our Stock OEM Size) the michelins pilot super sport weighs in at 24lbs ..... the stock oem advan weighs at 26..... and any Bridgestone oem tiresize of our cars weighs in at 28lbs ....

So therefore i will not be getting the bridgestone max summer tires, when i checked on tirerack all of the bridgestone weighs at 28lbs each
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

You could be right its just reviews and articles I have read, no first hand experience. I haven't come across a bad review yet but was talking about the Pilot Super Sport not the Cup
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I was refering to the Pilot Super Sport.

Last edited by thejoshster; Mar 25, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
^Theyre talking about Super Sports, not Pilot Sport Cups... Well idk about thejoshster since he quoted you, but the rest of the thread is about...

Black95tt
How do these compare to the re01's?
I'll let you know when I put them on.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna need new tires in a couple weeks so I'll probably give these a try.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:35 AM

Love my set too, back when i bought mine they had a $70 off promotion going on as well. Every little bit helps right?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of in here.

Um, yes, cars on Michelins have won a bunch of Le Mans events, including the last two, but not on Pilot Sport Cups. I believe that you're over-interpreting what those press-releases mean when they say stuff like "using what we learned while winning the 24 hours of Le Mans, we bring you the Pilot Sport Cup".

This.

Originally Posted by denlin68
I was just looking at the specs of these Pilot Super Sport. These tires seems very awesome... First of all ... Michelins' technology for light weight tires is amazing at 245/40/18 (our Stock OEM Size) the michelins pilot super sport weighs in at 24lbs ..... the stock oem advan weighs at 26..... and any Bridgestone oem tiresize of our cars weighs in at 28lbs ....

So therefore i will not be getting the bridgestone max summer tires, when i checked on tirerack all of the bridgestone weighs at 28lbs each
Technology? Not really. Differences are components, gauges, and design.

PS: Goodyear Asymmetric 2 are 25 lbs.

Originally Posted by thejoshster
Not entirely true. The outside of the SS is made of an endurance racing compound that was developed in the La Mans series. Its the reason why this tire has a treadlife warranty.

I have had these tires on my X MR since they came out. I have not ever had an R spec tire on, but these are the best performing street tires on the market WITH everyday comfort and wet performance. I am sure there are some R Spec that might do a little better, but if you want the best of both performance and comfort, this is it.
No. Its a compound inspired by racing tires. Might have some polymers in there; it's not the same compound. And it's not why there is a warranty.

Wow. Never had a r-comp and claiming to be the best on the market?

Apple to apple tires to the Super Sports:
Goodyear Asymmetric 2
Conti DW
Pirelli PZero
Hankook Ventus V12 evo (yes, that is a MPS tire)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks Smike!

Quick Reply: Love the new Pilot Super Sports