Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Love the new Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
Lots of in here.

This.

Technology? Not really. Differences are components, gauges, and design.

PS: Goodyear Asymmetric 2 are 25 lbs.

No. Its a compound inspired by racing tires. Might have some polymers in there; it's not the same compound. And it's not why there is a warranty.

Wow. Never had a r-comp and claiming to be the best on the market?

Apple to apple tires to the Super Sports:
Goodyear Asymmetric 2
Conti DW
Pirelli PZero
Hankook Ventus V12 evo (yes, that is a MPS tire)

I was refering to being the best STREET tire.

If I am so clueless, tell me, what is a better overall street tire?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thejoshster
I was refering to being the best STREET tire.

Best for what?

Performance?
Dry?
Wet?
Noise?
Warranty?
Rolling resistance?
Price?
Availability?
Country of origin?
Looking cool at the high school parking lot?
Surgically attaching yourself to some Frenchmans sack?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know that I've proven myself unable to read this thread carefully, but I'm still pretty sure that no-one can answer your question because it's too unspecified. What defines "better" for a street tire to you? There are so many aspects (ranging from noise at 65 mph to longitudinal grip in heavy rain to lateral grip on dry brushed concrete) and no tire is the best for all of them (because several aspects are in direct conflict with each other), so you have to say what aspects matter to you before the question can be answered.

Not that I think the question should be answered, mind you.

edit: Hey, Mike: Jinx!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to know what tire makes me look cooler at the local wendy's parking lot. Thinking Falken RT-615??
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Hey, Mike: Jinx!

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I would like to know what tire makes me look cooler at the local wendy's parking lot. Thinking Falken RT-615??
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Best for what?

Performance?
Dry?
Wet?
Noise?
Warranty?
Rolling resistance?
Price?
Availability?
Country of origin?
Looking cool at the high school parking lot?
Surgically attaching yourself to some Frenchmans sack?
Best overall performing street tire. Can you use half your brain to think of what aspects that might involve?

Wet/dry performance(steering response, max grip, feedback ect)
road manners(noise, ride quality)

What tire has the highest average scores of all things above?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Best overall performing street tire. Can you use half your brain to think of what aspects that might involve?

Actually, just using 0.00001% of my brain to talk with you.

Highest average scores? You spend too much time reading Tire Rack reviews. Just so you know, those are just reviews from the general public. "Scores" should be taken with a heavy grain of salt.

Testing/reviews that I do are not for public release.

Sounds more like you need to drive more tires before making such broad assumptions on your opinions. Or at the least, refrain from typing when you have not tested/reviewed/experienced more.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:13 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Pilot SS is not in the running since steering response and max grip are on your short list.

You also want some things that don't usually mix. It's kind of like wanting a comfortable 911 turbo for the price of a GTI.

To me, Star Specs are probably the best bet, though, since you want performance. Very good grip, feedback, and response (little less than RS3), road noise and ride quality are exceptional when new, but like any performance tire, noise increases with 75%+ wear.

Look at Smike's list for what the Michelin compare to. Pilot SS do not approach RS3, Star Specs, or even RT615K in ultimate grip.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Josh -

Thanks for removing my remaining embarrassment for misreading the title of this thread. That you would step in and protect me in the way that you have will not be forgotten. I owe you one, man.

- Jt
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Josh -

Thanks for removing my remaining embarrassment for misreading the title of this thread. That you would step in and protect me in the way that you have will not be forgotten. I owe you one, man.

- MT

Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

wow, this the community we have here?

Sorry I dont review tires for a living. I didnt realize you have the only valid scoring system in the world and you keep it to yourself. Thats neat.

Its funny you love to try to run me into the ground, yet not one ounce of constructive info.

I guess a simple question about overall tire performance is just too big for your head to wrap around, because its consumed by trying to prove something.

Dare I ask what tire you have chosen for your evo? Or do I need to offer a sacrafice to the Tire god?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Pilot SS is not in the running since steering response and max grip are on your short list.

You also want some things that don't usually mix. It's kind of like wanting a comfortable 911 turbo for the price of a GTI.

To me, Star Specs are probably the best bet, though, since you want performance. Very good grip, feedback, and response (little less than RS3), road noise and ride quality are exceptional when new, but like any performance tire, noise increases with 75%+ wear.

Look at Smike's list for what the Michelin compare to. Pilot SS do not approach RS3, Star Specs, or even RT615K in ultimate grip.
wow, this the community we have here?

Sorry I dont review tires for a living. I didnt realize you have the only valid scoring system in the world and you keep it to yourself. Thats neat.

Its funny you love to try to run me into the ground, yet not one ounce of constructive info.

I guess a simple question about overall tire performance is just too big for your head to wrap around, because its consumed by trying to prove something.

Dare I ask what tire you have chosen for your evo? Or do I need to offer a sacrafice to the Tire god?
See Noize's and Iowa999's responses. And re-read mine. Lots of info if you care to read them.

I do much much much more than test tires. And TR is not a valid scoring system (yes, there are very specific tire test for every part of a tire). It's an attempt at taking anecdotal responses and making them scientific.

I have a 4 different tires on my cars at the moment. Not to mention the 2nd or 3rd sets of assemblies per car.

I think you'd learn a bit from Mark Twain here. "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." You have removed all doubt.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Highest average scores? You spend too much time reading Tire Rack reviews. Just so you know, those are just reviews from the general public. "Scores" should be taken with a heavy grain of salt.
This is VERY true. Everyone looks at the score on Tire Rack like it's some kind of mystical true tire rating from the all mighty race god, to determine what is the best tire. My friend does this A LOT and it's getting on my nerves. His only experience was on Star Specs and he doesn't even auto-x or track any of his 20 previous cars (in the last 3 years...).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
^are you speaking from experience or just speculating?
Just doing about an hours worth of research on the internets and based on feedback from Leh Keen on the tires after he won last year's One Lap event. In the 285/35-18 tire sizes we need, the Hankook R-S3 and Michelin PSS are the two front runners as Dunlop doesn't make Starspecs that wide. Since we have to stick with tire offerings from Tirerack that are 140+ treadwear and on the official sponsored list are choice are more limited than most others.

I've driven at the limits on Bridgestone RE11's, Yokohama AD08, and Hankook R-S3's which is about the order of increasing Dry Traction I had with them, but it's a balancing act on what features are most important for you. There are a few advantages here and there that various manufacterer's apply to their tires to get an edge but I try to have realistic expectations. The R-S3's are definitely the best dry street tire I've ever driven on but their wet traction is a bit dicey if you are not prepared.

It would be great to have a head to head comparison with laptimes, auto-x courses setup and the like but that info is hard to find. That way you can compare if the drop in dry times is worth the gain in other categories.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

See Noize's and Iowa999's responses. And re-read mine. Lots of info if you care to read them.

I do much much much more than test tires. And TR is not a valid scoring system (yes, there are very specific tire test for every part of a tire). It's an attempt at taking anecdotal responses and making them scientific.

I have a 4 different tires on my cars at the moment. Not to mention the 2nd or 3rd sets of assemblies per car.

I think you'd learn a bit from Mark Twain here. "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." You have removed all doubt.

I only supplied my opinion of the SS tire(yes I mis-spoke when I spoke the compound on the outside of the SS). Is my opinion/expierence completely invalid because I dont know everything? I realize there are better performing tires, but we all know the SS is not competing against R compounds. I simply said the SS is the best street tire. Im not considering a DOT racing tire as a street tire. Maybe I am alone on that.

I think everyone who is hardcore needs to take it down a notch before jumping all over people for posting their opinion. So many words were thrown in my mouth about tire rack and user ratings. I never once mentioned any of this.

Also, you completely ignored what I said: "you want the best of both performance and comfort, this is it"
I dont think that statement is out of line at all.

I even said not counting R compounds! Maybe I should have said not DOT racing tire, because thats what I meant.

I did make an incorrect statement in my post, but I think its better for everyone to just teach instead of flame.

Last edited by thejoshster; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Love the new Pilot Super Sports