Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Love the new Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to replace my old tires (unfortunately, with very little wear). Was going to get the RE-11s, but read this thread and thought I would give the PSS a try. Wow, just ordered from Tire Rack and they will arrive tomorrow! Maybe I should have waited until I had a chance to remove the wheels... oops.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sjacobs
I understand that the MPSS are classed as a Max Performance Summer Tyre vs others like RS3 and Z1 Star Specs and A08s which are Extreme Performance Tyres

A few on here seem to be saying that while the MPSS will outshine the Extreme ones in the wet that in the dry the will have to sacrifice alot of dry grip

How do you explain the following tyre test results?

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...res-tested.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Shows the MPSS only marginally behind the RS3 and AD08 in the dry points score but almost on par with dry lap times as well as max dry G while being leaps and bounds ahead in the wet comparisons

The Z1 doesn't seem to perform too well

Unless this test is rigged seems like the MPSS is the choice road tyre (not talking auto x or track if your that serious about it you should have a second set of rims/tyres) seems to not give up too much dry grip but has heaps of wet grip to
differences become more apparent when you start upgrading the susension. soft BMW 3 series suspension isn't gonna be able to take full advantage of the extra grip an extreme performance tire offers. to be honest if your car is an honest street car (especially with the Evo's AWD) and you're not hunting for the last .01 second at the autox, you're not gaining much going to a EP tire. an MP or even a good UHP is fine...

to give an example, its like putting your average track day star and an F1 driver into a street car and then the same drivers into an F1 car. the difference in times between the 2 drivers is gonna be much bigger in the F1 car. similar principle for the tires.