Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Pressure

I just bought some new tires yesterday and I was wondering what max PSI should I inflate them to? The tire says, "Max 51 PSI" but would that be too much? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really don't know

These are the tires I purchased http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=GSR

Thanks guys
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I usually keep mine around 35psi ... 51 is wayyyy to high!!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES 51 IS WAAAYYYYY TOO HIGH!

useful information is that your tires tend to warm up when you start driving. Heat causes air to expand. If you inflate your tires to max PSI at 51, if you were to drive aggressively, you run the risk of overinflating and possibly causing the bead of the tire to unseat or the tire to pop if you get a puncture.

Run the recommended pressure written on the driver door jam in your car if you don't know what to run. From there you can alter your air pressures to what you want based on how you drive and your preferences. Higher air pressures generally give (slightly) better MPG's and better steering response, but makes your ride more bumpy. Lower air pressures generally give you better grip but lower MPG's.

Now also take into consideration that running anything below or beyond the recommended air pressures can lead to uneven tire wear as well, killing the life of your tire. Be good about tire rotations and air pressures checking and you should be able to get the best life of your tire as you can =)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:47 AM

i usually keep my one front 32 rear 29
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

The tires are made to run at 51 psi cold. I would keep them at 45 psi or higher you risk wheel damage at the lower psi with low profile tires. Magelsen tire service 50 + years of family in the buisness.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3dman1
The tires are made to run at 51 psi cold. I would keep them at 45 psi or higher you risk wheel damage at the lower psi with low profile tires. Magelsen tire service 50 + years of family in the buisness.
Oh, my. Remind me to never go to your shop.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3dman1
OMG PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by LiQuIdCrAzN
OMG PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.
+1 .....
45psi ...lol...crazy
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:33 AM

It will tell you in the drivers side door jam what Mitsubishi suggests. I know for the RA front and rear are both 35psi. Over tire inflation can cause tire blow out if you were to hit a hole or something in the road.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

It clearly states on the tire "MAX 51 PSI", meaning to never inflate them past 51 PSI.

Recommended tire pressure is written in the driver's door jam, and it's 32 PSI.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by safat_evo
+1 .....
45psi ...lol...crazy
Lmao i have 37's on my jeep and run 50 psi. I would think a 3000+- pound car would make a bad wear pattern. But that's just me... youre right that's crazy!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha X
I just bought some new tires yesterday and I was wondering what max PSI should I inflate them to? The tire says, "Max 51 PSI" but would that be too much? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really don't know

These are the tires I purchased http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=GSR

Thanks guys
To answer your question. You answered it yourself. The tires MAX pressure is 51 cold.

That isnt the proper tire pressure for your vehicle. the max pressure needs to be listed for many reasons. safety being one of them. The proper air pressure would be on a small sticker in your door jam. If you locate it on the door jam. Check the other doors or under the arm rest or glove box. Some nissan maximas have it place under the arm rest. My corolla has it in the glove box. volks wagons have it on the gas door.
When you do find it. for example if the door says 32 front and 32 rear. that means Cold pressure. best to check it when its in the morning when you have not driven it. if its reallllllyy hot in the summer and its been sitting in the sun. you might not get a accurate reading. if you do decide to put it at 51psi. Just put 51psi cold. the tire makes know the air will expand just a little.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:38 PM

51 is too high imo, I like my tire pressure at 40psi. Never had a problem with that in 6 years from different tires on an evo 9 to now an x.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Badhazard
if you do decide to put it at 51psi. Just put 51psi cold. the tire makes know the air will expand just a little.
"if"? Are you kidding? "if"?

This thread is an incredible embarrassment and should be deleted in its entirety. It is very disappointing to know that posts like the above were written by people with Evos; it is scary to know that they were written by people with driver's licenses.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

first off.. .. if you plan to street drive those tires.. inflate them to the spec on the driver side door well. 32psi for the evo mr..
once you've driven a couple thousand km's or say 1300 miles ish.. check the tire.. see how it's wearing.. if theres major wear on the inside and outside of the tire.. then increase the pressure by 4-5psi.. this will cause the center of the tire to come out some. thus more even wear.. (if there's wear on just one side or another.. then you may need an alighnment)
-another tip is when at the track take a talcum stone to the tread (or cloth with baby powder) (get it all white on the tread and side walls).. and do a couple laps. If the powder has been taken off all of the tire and creaping down the side wall. increase the pressure.. if the white powder hasn't come in contact yet with the out side lugs of the tire.. then you'll want to decrease tire pressure. Tire pressures can and will get you seconds a lap, via increase/decrease grip.

Secondly!! Read the reviews on tire rack.. obviously take them with a grain of salt. however... if there's a pattern to what everyone is saying.. like "Death Trap in Rain conditions" and say it's rain in your city 1/2 of the summer.. then a word of advice is move on.. find another tire!

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure