Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Do I need new rotors when getting new break pads?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need new rotors when getting new break pads?

My stock break are getting thin so I called Mitsubishi about having them install new pads. The guy said he recommends new rotors as well when installing new pads.

This seems odd, why would he recommend rotors as well?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
You prolly don't really need them. How many miles are on the car? Any track days?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are trying to get an extra $300 (at least) off of you. Buy good pads online and change them yourself since it's not hard. As long as your rotors aren't under the minimum thickness (the spec is on the inside of the rotor) and there's no warping, you're fine. If you need help changing the pads, search for it on youtube.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Do it yourself if possible, if the rotors are within tolerances take em off and get them cut. way cheaper to do yourself. They are programed to upsell at shops
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have about 18k miles on the car and I never did any track days. The shop said that the rotors are such a hard material the are difficult to grind properly, that why the recommend new ones.

He also said they can just put new break pads in if that all I wanted.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mp72
I have about 18k miles on the car and I never did any track days. The shop said that the rotors are such a hard material the are difficult to grind properly, that why the recommend new ones.

He also said they can just put new break pads in if that all I wanted.
Is this just a street car? Dont screw around with your brakes if you are racing.

If it was my car (I dont race) id just put on new pads and forget the rotors. If they are warped you would know it.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yes this is a street car and never been tracked. I don't drive it hard, but once and a while I really get on it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to just get new pads and keep the original rotors.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Get the rotors turned though.

Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

There is not really a good answer here.

Rotors are worn when they are below minimum thickness or runout exceeds the spec. And this can only be measured w/ a micrometer/runout gauge.

There are other potential rotor issues. Excessive heat can create pad smear, hot spots, etc - these are all usually created by single overheating events where the pad material is carried significantly past it's operating range and the result is commonly referred to as warped rotors but is really judder - or uneven friction resulting from th epad 'smearing' on the rotors in places and screwing up the friction. This part gets a bit complicated.

It can be fixed - sanding/rebedding pads/light turn if need be.

The giant rotor on an evoX is not going to wear fast unless you work it hard and/or go to aggressive pads. We don't sell many - and I am not surprised.

We'll be there when you do need them though.

Last edited by EVOBrakes; Jul 23, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ this. A street-driven car just needs a few minutes with a ScotchBrite pad when changing brake pads.

> resolution of not responding to any threads about "breaks" broken in five minutes ... check
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

breaks!

Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:22 AM

no need to change rotor
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOBrakes
breaks!

lol. I figured that out brake pads after making this thread. At least it shows my question is legitimate. :/

Update.... I checked my rotors and they are not smooth. I'm going to take it to a brake shop to see if they can shave them. If not I'll put new rotors on.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, put new pads on and be done with it. 18k street miles on street pads didn't do crap to your rotors. If you want to **** about it then scrub them with Brillo pad or lightly sand them as above. You'll likely be fine with just throwing new pads in and gettin on with your life.

Also EvoBrakes (KNS Brakes) is a great vendor. They have been very helpful when I called them in the past.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you use the word "Brillo" in the same way that people say "Frito" for any corn-chip or "Coke" for any cola, but do not use actual Brillo pads to clean rotors. Brillo pads have soap in them. Use a green ScotchBrite pad (only).

Quick Reply: Do I need new rotors when getting new break pads?