Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2nd set of TPMS

Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd set of TPMS

Hey guys

I'm looking to purchase a second set of rims to put my summer tires on, and to keep my winter tires on my stock rims. Obviously the stock rims have the stock TPMS on them, and I don't want to see the caution light pop up every day when I get the new rims. My question is if I buy a new set of TPMS sensors to throw on the new rims do I have to take it to dealership to get them synched. I'm trying to keep my warranty as long as possible in case of a rainy day, but I don't want to have to pull off all my performance parts just for tire sensors. Am I able to take the car to a just tire or ntb to get them synched. Or I also saw that there is a new product out there call alligator sensors. Has anyone had any any experience with these?

Thanks again guys
Chris
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new set of sensors will have to be initialized either by your Mitsu dealer or a local shop. Many shops are starting to get the necessary hardware to do TPMS re-sets. If you can't find one then dealer is your best bet. We do carry the oe sensor if interested.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oven-work.html
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
The new set of sensors will have to be initialized either by your Mitsu dealer or a local shop. Many shops are starting to get the necessary hardware to do TPMS re-sets. If you can't find one then dealer is your best bet. We do carry the oe sensor if interested.
Not to ruin N.G.S.'s side-buisness (of which I've been a very satisfied customer), but you guys at Tire Rack really, really, really need to get a programmable system in house, Neil, and offer TPMS sensors that have been programmed to the IDs sent in by the buyer. It's a huge positive that you guys mount and balance for free when the customer buys both wheels and tires, but that's useless to those of us who want programmable TPMS. At a minimum, let customers send their TPMS sensors to you for installation in a new set of wheels and tires.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

What's the price on a set of oem sensors from you guys?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

They run $41 ea.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been running without tpms and it doesn't bother me at all. lol
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

They run $41 ea.
So that's about $164.00 just to rid myself of a light on the dash? *sigh*
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:32 PM

Don't forget that those aren't programmable, so you'll still need to reprogram them at every wheel change, that adds up.

I really don't mind the light on my dash, it's on right now as I have my snow rims and tires mounted.

Originally Posted by love9sick
So that's about $164.00 just to rid myself of a light on the dash? *sigh*
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewm
Don't forget that those aren't programmable, so you'll still need to reprogram them at every wheel change, that adds up.

I really don't mind the light on my dash, it's on right now as I have my snow rims and tires mounted.
I'm going to have to agree. A light on the dash, unless it's a check engine light isn't worth of 200+ dollars of spending. I'll just deal with my snow rims/tires having the light on.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:49 AM

I may be a little late on this but it's not just a light. Every time you get a warning message like for the freezing condition notice the Tire pressure warning will take over your display and you will have to click the info button to get back the display page you like. Repeat this every start up and it gets annoying.

If you are getting new rims it is worth going through NGS to get some sensors programed to clone your originalsls then you can switch back and forth as you please.

Last edited by yyzdnl; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:27 AM

I swapped wheels with someone in the forums and I got the tpms light. Two weeks later I got tired of the light. I brought the car to the dealer to have them reprogram the new set of sensors to my car. I was surprised when the invoice came and I didn't have to pay anything. The guy said all they do to reset tpms sensors was lower the tire pressure to below 10psi, and put air back in again. So far I've driven 30 miles and still no light! I'll update if the light comes back. These were a new set of tpms sensors that had never been on my car before.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by nautica2o3
I swapped wheels with someone in the forums and I got the tpms light. Two weeks later I got tired of the light. I brought the car to the dealer to have them reprogram the new set of sensors to my car. I was surprised when the invoice came and I didn't have to pay anything. The guy said all they do to reset tpms sensors was lower the tire pressure to below 10psi, and put air back in again. So far I've driven 30 miles and still no light! I'll update if the light comes back. These were a new set of tpms sensors that had never been on my car before.
I do not believe that at all. Get NGS cloned Sense-it Sensors. He programs them for free. I have them now and have not one problem. Now I just switch tires anytime I want. Stay away from discount tire they have easy sensor that do not work on Evo's. I had them and they did not work. Made them refund my money.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nautica2o3
The guy said all they do to reset tpms sensors was lower the tire pressure to below 10psi, and put air back in again.
My only question is whether, after telling you this, they all ran to the shop's computer and starting googling "set pressure to 10 psi" to see if you not only fell for it, but were silly enough to repeat it to others.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

I'm Guessing that the person who told you this was a service advisor and not a tech. GM's tpms sensors are learned by the ecu like this but AFAIK the Mitsubishi ecu does not have this ability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd set of TPMS