Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Rear Endlink Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whiteline Rear Endlink Issues

Update: 7/11/13

So Whiteline was able to send me a replacement set a couple of weeks ago and I installed the new links using red thread locker on every stud, used the supplied washers on the link side, and a set of locking washers along with the supplied nylon nuts on the bar/chassis side (2 types of nuts on each stud).

Everything was fine for about 300 miles city/highway driving with no track time or even spirited driving. A couple of days ago the noises returned and the things came loose again. I followed my mentioned procedure again and sure enough, within a mile of driving the freaking things start clunking again.

So at this point, I'm just over these endlinks as they're just not cutting it for me. I just e-mailed Whiteline about it and requested a refund so I can mail them both sets and move on.

Despite this ordeal, I will say the correspondence and customer support has been fantastic and am appreciative for the efforts given on their end.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Hello everyone!

I recently installed the Whiteline rear sway bar on my Evo X and have been running it on the middle setting. The stock endlinks broke shortly after that despite only daily driving so I upgraded to the Whiteline rear endlinks. Problem is, the freaking locking nuts keep loosening up no matter what I seem to do. They've come loose in as little as a mile of driving and consequently start making clunking sounds from the rear.

I consulted John Mueller of Muellerized suspensions in Costa Mesa, CA and he suggested that I use a second set of washers to use on both sides of the bar and chassis. So I bought 2 new sets of fresh washers, applied blue thread locker in the body of the endlinks, applied red thread locker when it connects to the bar and chassis, held the 14mm hex nut in place while hand tightening the heck out of the nylon locking nuts all at ride height. This last time lasted about 100 miles (mostly freeway driving) before the damn things came loose again.

I'm at a loss on how to address this issue. I've contacted Whiteline directly and they're just as puzzled by this. They are kind enough to mail me another set but I am skeptical if that will resolve the issue. Some people have suggested tack welding but that seems excessive and in my opinion, defeats the purpose of having an adjustable sway bar.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Last edited by jdizzle37; Jul 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jdizzle37
Hello everyone!

I recently installed the Whiteline rear sway bar on my Evo X and have been running it on the middle setting. The stock endlinks broke shortly after that despite only daily driving so I upgraded to the Whiteline rear endlinks. Problem is, the freaking locking nuts keep loosening up no matter what I seem to do. They've come loose in as little as a mile of driving and consequently start making clunking sounds from the rear.

I consulted John Mueller of Muellerized suspensions in Costa Mesa, CA and he suggested that I use a second set of washers to use on both sides of the bar and chassis. So I bought 2 new sets of fresh washers, applied blue thread locker in the body of the endlinks, applied red thread locker when it connects to the bar and chassis, held the 14mm hex nut in place while hand tightening the heck out of the nylon locking nuts all at ride height. This last time lasted about 100 miles (mostly freeway driving) before the damn things came loose again.

I'm at a loss on how to address this issue. I've contacted Whiteline directly and they're just as puzzled by this. They are kind enough to mail me another set but I am skeptical if that will resolve the issue. Some people have suggested tack welding but that seems excessive and in my opinion, defeats the purpose of having an adjustable sway bar.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?
Try usign star washers between the nuts or serrated washers. Alternatively you can source cupped serrated washers that grip across the face as well.

Lastly you can use flanged nuts that are serrated on the flat seaing side. And you can torque those....

Check the threads on the Whiteline sections. If they are slightly worn, they are not going to hold well. since you have new units on teh way. check them out by hand assembly first ...looseness is a bad sign.

Properly rolled threads and material selection should not have an issue.

I personally fixed an issue with custom endlinks after ditching some Whiteline ones ( not EvO ), had similar issues and resorted to the flanged nut trick. Use high quality ones though.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the suggestions WRC-LVR.

I finished installing the new set a little while ago. I used the washers provided at the base of the joints, used flanged nuts, and then used the provided nylon nuts on-top of the flanged nuts. Used red thread locker on everything.

The drive home was very smooth and noise free. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdizzle37
Thanks for the suggestions WRC-LVR.

I finished installing the new set a little while ago. I used the washers provided at the base of the joints, used flanged nuts, and then used the provided nylon nuts on-top of the flanged nuts. Used red thread locker on everything.

The drive home was very smooth and noise free. Hopefully it stays that way.
God, I thought it was just me! I had Whiteline endlinks installed a couple weeks ago. Two days after install I got the knocking sound...isolated it to the nuts backing out...re-tightened and was good for a couple more days only to have the same thing happen again! I just bought some nylon nuts today and am gonna stack 'em to see if that'll keep the originals from backing off.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

I also have had a problem with the Whiteline Endlinks and have come to the conclusion that there pieces of ****. If you read this thread do yourself a favor and don't get the Whiteline Endlinks.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PCShooter
God, I thought it was just me! I had Whiteline endlinks installed a couple weeks ago. Two days after install I got the knocking sound...isolated it to the nuts backing out...re-tightened and was good for a couple more days only to have the same thing happen again! I just bought some nylon nuts today and am gonna stack 'em to see if that'll keep the originals from backing off.
Yeah hopefully that'll help. I've been driving around with them for a few days nows on some crappy roads and so far no issue. I'll continue to monitor them.

Originally Posted by BlewBuYou66
I also have had a problem with the Whiteline Endlinks and have come to the conclusion that there pieces of ****. If you read this thread do yourself a favor and don't get the Whiteline Endlinks.
Sorry to hear you had a negative experience with them as well. This has indeed been quite a hassel to deal with. I wonder why this is an issue. My only thoughts is maybe they're not as resistant to NVH as something like Racing Line because the roads aren't as crappy as they are here in the California. I've never been to Australia so I don't know their overall road conditions.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Knocking sounds is supposedly because the bolts on the endlinks don't fit tight into the sway bar holes. That's what i was told at alignment place.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Knocking sounds is supposedly because the bolts on the endlinks don't fit tight into the sway bar holes. That's what i was told at alignment place.
That would make sense. I don't know if that was the case for either set of my end links because both were pretty snug. Maybe my first set had bad threading.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Any time a nut works its way out of something repeatedly, why nut just throw a little Loctite on it?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkromer
Any time a nut works its way out of something repeatedly, why nut just throw a little Loctite on it?
I did use red Loctite after this happened twice. It lasted longer, but still came out an additional two times despite reapplying thread locker each time; hence why this was so puzzling.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going back to alignment place on Friday i'll report back. See if those rocket scientist can come up with some answers. I emailed whiteline no response yet...
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going back to alignment place on Friday i'll report back. See if those rocket scientist can come up with some answers. I emailed whiteline no response yet...
Best of luck. Share whatever updates you have here.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Whiteline rear sway bar and endlinks are pieces of kakaa. Tightened every bolt along with the sway bar mounting bolts, locking washers, put on soft setting, and still get the clunking noise. Next i'm putting stock sway bar and endlinks back on to see if that does the trick.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Whiteline rear sway bar and endlinks are pieces of kakaa. Tightened every bolt along with the sway bar mounting bolts, locking washers, put on soft setting, and still get the clunking noise. Next i'm putting stock sway bar and endlinks back on to see if that does the trick.
Well I don't know what else you have to report but I'm putting in an update in the first post. Bad times...
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
now i'm scared to put mine on...

Quick Reply: Whiteline Rear Endlink Issues