Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Recommeded offset and tire size for 18x9.5 rims

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Fixed it for you.
Noted.

But if he is asking what offset will fit with/without spacers on his evo, I am (maybe wrongly) that he is not looking to be nationally competitive in STU.

He hasnt even told us wheels/tires yet. If he is nat. comp, then I retract my statement.

Lately I have been fired up by stupid people putting hellaghey tires on the Vdub Evo crossovers with so much metal lip sticking out they look like there cars are wearing fricking braces. You got bullied as a kid, and your going to get bullied now. Welcome to EvoM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hear you. I struggle to suppress the urge to send more than half of these threads to Show and Shine because the ideas being floated make absolutely no sense from a performance perspective. However, if you and I (and others) are going to be hard- ...um... -tushes about it, we need to be very consistent. For example, there are (rare) reasons to run a 9.5"-wide wheel with 245s ... when all that you care about is low-speed lateral grip.

But, most of all, note how I wrote that last sentence. I talked about the proper-width wheel for a given tire. If nothing else, I would love to achieve that change around here. I would love it if people would start approaching their tires and wheels in the correct order.

To be clear: you choose your tires first and then get the wheels that you need to make them happy. Anyone who asks what tires should go on a certain wheel is approaching the entire question completely bass-ackwards.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Iowa, completely agree.

The normal process, it seems to be, is : I want some super wide low offset wheel.

then how can i (hypothetically of course) do something like "notch the frame rail" and justify it buying saying "I am only taking 0.5 inches out of it" Of course hypothetically ( <------ See sarcasm for anyone new )

Then after the car is made to fit the wheels, what tire will fit. Stupid.

There are specific applications for specific tires. Which is why, like you implied, the 9.5 wheel is awesome. Because you can go like some guys and stuff 285s + on there, or put a super stiff sidewall tire for low speed lateral grip (like you said) to do competitive in STU.

I have just found myself not posting much because I get so angry I would get banned. Hey, I am no expert by any means, and I was new once too, but people that dont search (google is a freaking word now, come on), read, or follow trends make me cover my computer in gas and light it on fire.

okay, anyway, thanks for the distraction Iowa! What tire/wheel combo(s) do you run?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
thanks for the distraction Iowa! What tire/wheel combo(s) do you run?
<- see picture: 215/65/15 on 15x7 +18

Not the most popular choice for an Evo X, I'll admit.

tee hee
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

oh wow. are you rally racing Iowa? What did you have to do to the brakes to run that small a wheel. I assume a brake swap.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:59 PM

No...I don't plan on having the edge of the rim sticking out past the tires...I'm not into that look - whatever they call that, I don't like it.

Looking at maybe Varrosten (sp?) or something like that with R888 tires to do some DE days...I have the Varrosten 2.2's as my drag setup for my GTR, and I like them...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:16 PM

All the enkeis you listed with high offsets will need spacers.
You've tried all those wheels out on the X, rly? I agree, some of them in fact may be too high an offset, but what about the +30? I'm still curious if those +30 Kojins would work w/o a spacer.

I've since found a couple of sets of 9.5s I'm interested in that are +23 and +25 and will likely buy one of those if nothing better comes out. I won't be upgrading wheels for like another 8 months to a year though.. I'm in no rush.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:03 PM

for the love of god please dont listen to whoever said the right size tire is a 245 on a 9.5 wheel. that is just simply wrong.

+22 is solid. +15 is good if your ready to work your fenders a bit or are not lowered.

255/265 is up to you. I ran previously 265s on a 9.5 and the grip was amazing. for DD, it was a lot of tire (on an 8 tho). When they were toast, i put on some track take offs that were 255. much better on the street, but lateral grip was decreased (power slides are more fun tho). I will prob go back to 265s.

On a X, get 265s. if you go lower than 255 please let us know so we can give an opinion

you havent said what wheels your looking at. if +22 im guessing Volks? GL to the OP whichever route you take

First off, I did not say I recommend a 245 on a 9.5. I originally wanted to do a 255 but couldn't because the tire would not clear the outer fender lining. What I was essentially saying is that if the OP wanted to do an offset in the +12 to +15 range, he could very easily do so and comfortably run a 245 due to clearance issues...

I would have to guess that you haven't actually seen a 245 on a 9.5 either, because it doesn't look ghetto or really even all that stretched (keep in mind that my wall is 40, not 35). Is there a little stretch? Yes, but I certainly wouldn't say the lip sticks out from the tire, I dare say it looks natural. In fact, I remember the stock tires we ran on our old Z06 looked a little stretched even on the stock rim. Stretch is not necessarily this horrible ugly thing to avoid...

There are certainly no handling compromises at all either, I'm continually blown away at how much grip there is even over the stock wheel/tire setup.

All that being said, if you don't have fitment issues with the offset you get, by all means go 265, all I was saying to the OP is that there are options open out there if he so wished.

EDIT: BTW OP, if the Varrstoen 2.2 was what you were looking at, the +22 offset will not clear the front calipers without a spacer (that's why I went +12, cause I think front spacers DO make a car look ghetto)

Last edited by Checkpoint24; Aug 1, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I briefly ran 245/40 on my 9.5 and promptly damaged the lips on 2 of my wheels from normal daily driving. They fit fine (a little stretched) but just wasn't enough sidewall for daily. Plus it looks whimpy lol.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
I briefly ran 245/40 on my 9.5 and promptly damaged the lips on 2 of my wheels from normal daily driving.
Curb feelers, dude. Curb Feelers!

ps. I did search for a picture of an Evo X with curb feelers. Odd that even my ninja search skills couldn't find one.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Lmao! I'll pick some up. It actually wasn't curb rash. Downtown ATL where I work has seriously crappy roads with chunks missing! U just can't avoid them all so 2 of my whelks got nicked pretty good, thank god they are cheap. But driving on the same roads with 265 makes a world of difference as I have not damaged them further.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've never heard of switching to a shorter sidewall protecting the rim, but, if it's working for you, then - [takes deep breath and tries to adopt a cool voice] - rock those bad boys.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

I should've made that clearer, it's not really the sidewall it's the width of the 265 PSS that hangs out enough over the lip of the wheel to protect the wheel from debris and such. When I had 245/40 on the 9.5 it was a tad stretched and left the lip unprotected.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 08:59 PM

What about forgestar f14s
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:37 AM

F14s 18x9.5

Quick Reply: Recommeded offset and tire size for 18x9.5 rims