Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My tire got screwed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tire got screwed

Well, I was driving home tonight in my GSR when I pulled into a well lit parking lot to examine my nose and hood (its a bad habit, I find myself doing it after I get passed by gravel trucks). Call me paranoid, but while checking for paint chips, I noticed a friggin screw embedded dead center in the middle of my drivers side front tire.

Now, I have roughly 2600 miles on my Evo. I know that plugging would compromise the integrity of the tire, but should I plug to avoid purchasing 4 new tires?

And if at all possible to plug my problem, Im thinking I'm going to remove the tire, take it to the shop and leave my GSR on it's donut in the driveway while I get the plug. I really dont want to drive it to the shop.

I'm thinking this tire's under warranty, but replacing a single tire would mean newer tread than the other three tires...

damn road debris.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

ive had 2 so far, both pretty much in the middle since they're doing construction by my house.
both have been plugged, since i use diff wheels for the track i haven't had any issues with the 2 plugged stockers just dd'ng
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

get it plugged man, since the screw is in the middle of the tire, it can be patched and saved, its when screws puncture the tire close to the sidewall that makes it iffy after patching, and @ 2600 miles, your tread shouldn't be too much different from the other 3 if you decide to get a new tire
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:38 AM

Do what you said.

Put the evo on a donut. get the tire plugged.

I rather have the tire plugged than buy 3 new tires... if tire cant be saved than buy all 4. its just being unlucky
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Take the tire to get patched.. It's a much better and safer solution to a plug. And it's a permanent fix.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I remember hearing a spec on tire size variations on an awd. Something like 1/4" variation maximum in circumference. You want them as close to the same circumference as you can though.

If I would guess I doubt 2600 or 2800 miles (don't remember how many you said op) wouldn't make much of a difference. I doubt you have even taken off 1/64th of tread. Depending on if you have spun the tires any.

Measure the circumference with a tape on your worn tires and compare that with a new tire. Under 1/4" difference then good to go throw the new tire on and forget it. Over 1/4" then you can do two different things. Have the one tire cut down to meet the other 4 tires circumference or buy all new tires.

On the patch. Yeah patch it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the tire to a shop nearby and got it plugged. The screw wasn't horribly long, but enough to create a slow leak (quoting the technician). Just need to add some air and it should be good to go. I'll continue normal rotations and work on getting a second set of wheels. Thanks again!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:32 AM

and I forgot to mention:

I asked the dealership about plugging my tire. I have an extended warranty through them. A gentleman in maintenance told me that it would "take a week", even if I just brought them the tire. It's a certified Mitsu dealership and it greatly annoyed me. I'm canceling the extended warranty that I PAID for. Vultures.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you ever need just one tire we do shaving to match the others depth for $25 a tire.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
If you ever need just one tire we do shaving to match the others depth for $25 a tire.
That's awesome. I'm working on a second set of wheels man. I'm not all that confident driving around with a friggin plug lol