Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Good midrange coilovers for DD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good midrange coilovers for DD?

I've been searching around the forums, but seem to be coming up empty on what I'm looking for. I took a peak at the sticky, but I don't know much what all the numbers mean in real world terms.

I'm looking to spend about $1,000 > $1,500. My 08' GSR is still on its original suspension, and needless to say it isn't exactly as comfortable as it could be over bumps lol. I was looking at these tein street coilovers, but don't know if they would be good or not for DD. If you guys could educate me on what to look for in an ideal set of coilovers, or point me to some good reading on the subject that would be a huge bonus.

Right now my car is bone stock. The only mods I plan on doing outside of coilovers are a buschur stage 1 kit (CIA, CBE, Tune), and a UICP/LICP.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:00 PM

ordered some fortune auto coilovers today from awdmotorsports. did some reserach and most reviews were generally positive. i narrowed it down to stance v fa and ended up ordering fa+swift+bearings.

your going to have members who say fa/stance etc is garbage and you should save for ohlins/kw. ultimately it comes down to what you plan to do and how much you want to spend.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you don't want to change the height or spring-rates, for $1000 you can get the (used) suspension off an MR and have the Billies rebuilt before installing them. That will ride better than any $1000 coilovers and probably handle as well or better, too.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
If you don't want to change the height or spring-rates, for $1000 you can get the (used) suspension off an MR and have the Billies rebuilt before installing them. That will ride better than any $1000 coilovers and probably handle as well or better, too.
After thinking about it I would like to be able to adjust them. Mainly because I live in the NE, so our winters can get pretty fierce. That way I can keep it pretty aggressive during the warmer months, and raise it closer to stock in the snow months. I'd hate for my front lip to become a snow plow in the winter lol.

EDIT: Bored at work, so I did some research on how to pick out a good coil over. http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pr_CUSCO/suspension.html

That link had some great info on what to look for in a coilover. I think I may switch from the Tein to something that has some rust proofing to give me more longevity. I'll have to see what has the rust proofing, along with adjustable dampening.

Last edited by ChUt26; Jan 21, 2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Many people start out thinking that they'll be raising and lowering their car for the seasons. Then they learn that that means two new alignments per year and they leave the car at the same height year-'round.

Many people also grab low-end coilovers from Asia. Then they learn that the excessive high-speed compression damping is why they no longer have grip on packed snow and ice. One reason why good coilovers cost more is that it's harder to make a shock that is digressive in bump. But if you drive year-'round in a place that gets snow and ice in the winter, they are worth every penny.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Great points. I didn't even think about the whole alignment part of it. That'll be some more food for thought. Maybe I'll just pickup a set of Cusco Zero-1's and call it a day.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm considering suspension for my 2013 GSR as well. And like you, I'm trying to get it right the first time so the only thing I accomplish isn't just screwing up the already good stock set-up.

At first I was set on springs & shocks since I don't want to (for reasons already mentioned) and know I won't utilize the adjustment features of pricy coilovers.

That said, Iowa999 already addressed the other compromise faced by us all-season daily driver Evo owners, so pricy coilovers really are the only way to go?

At the moment I'm considering a mid-level coil from H&R. The more I read though I just want to go whole-hog and get Ohlins Road&Track so I won't have regrets later. I guess I've heard to contact MAP Performance for somewhat of a discount as well.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I have had Ground Control, JIC, Tein, and BC Racing coilovers. BC has been my favorite so far.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I have had Ground Control, JIC, Tein, and BC Racing coilovers. BC has been my favorite so far.
Thanks for sharing your experiences! At the moment though, I'm leaning towards Ohlins. ~$2800 from rallysportdirect or ebay is helping sway my decision...

Now, how to go about tuning them correctly...from what I read stock spring rates need adjustment. Noize's write-up has me intrigued...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lithe
I'm leaning towards Ohlins. ~$2800 from rallysportdirect or ebay is helping sway my decision...Now, how to go about tuning them correctly...from what I read stock spring rates need adjustment. Noize's write-up has me intrigued...
For DD, Auto X, Rally, Track or all of the above? Also, what kind of driver are you...do you love understeer, neutral, oversteer? Any other suspension mods besides considering $2800 coilovers???

Last edited by gr8dc2b; Jan 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

For DD, Auto X, Rally, Track or all of the above? Also, what kind of driver are you...do you love understeer, neutral, oversteer? Any other suspension mods besides considering $2800 coilovers???
For DD.

Ideally, the car would handle as close to stock as possible, I'd just like it a little lower (0.8-1.0" max).

Of course I'd expect some improved handling for such an investment, but really, as I mentioned, I just don't want to screw up the already good handling characteristics in pursuit of lowering the car a little to improve aesthetics.

I've heard the ride is less compliant with coils & increased spring rates, and I'd expect as much. For me, harshness (within reason) isn't a downgrade, as long as responsiveness increases.

From what I've read I'll also need a roll center kit, and perhaps a rear sway bar?

Winter tire set is OEM plus Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's. Summer set I'm thinking WedsSport TC105N 18x9.5 +35 offset with 265/35 Dunlop Direzza II.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lithe
For DD.

Ideally, the car would handle as close to stock as possible, I'd just like it a little lower (0.8-1.0" max).

Of course I'd expect some improved handling for such an investment, but really, as I mentioned, I just don't want to screw up the already good handling characteristics in pursuit of lowering the car a little to improve aesthetics.

I've heard the ride is less compliant with coils & increased spring rates, and I'd expect as much. For me, harshness (within reason) isn't a downgrade, as long as responsiveness increases.

From what I've read I'll also need a roll center kit, and perhaps a rear sway bar?

Winter tire set is OEM plus Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's. Summer set I'm thinking WedsSport TC105N 18x9.5 +35 offset with 265/35 Dunlop Direzza II.
lithe, you have been PM'ed...your desires are definitely possible....

Last edited by gr8dc2b; Jan 23, 2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: My Boo Boo...sorry Iowa999...but fixed
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

In that mid range, I have noticed a lot of people running Stance SS or FA 500's. Do you guys have an opinion of which is better for a DD/Street car? Looking for best ride and handling with an aesthetically pleasing drop.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:21 AM

I had stance on my Z and was very impressed, but have being hearing good thing on the FA's so might give them a shot
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:32 PM

I just purchased the FA 500 with the swift springs and bearing upgrades i read some pretty good reviews on them an decided to go with them over Tein.. i have megans now and can't wait to get them off

Quick Reply: Good midrange coilovers for DD?