Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pad and Rotors. Can you tell me if this will work?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Pad and Rotors. Can you tell me if this will work?

Guys,

I have a 2010 Evo GSR with 40,000 miles I was at the stealership the other week for an oil change and they said (I have also heard them squeal as well) my brake pads probably have about 2-3 months left on them before they need to be replaced. I ONLY use the car as a daily driver so I don't want to drop a lot of money getting OEM or aftermarket high performance parts. I called the Midas Brake Shop in my area and they said that they will install any brake pads/rotors that I purchase. With that being said, after reading multiple threads, I think the Girodisc Magic Pads would be a good choice for me. They are cheap, don't squeak, and have low dust.
The guy at the Midas shop also said that the will install the Magic Pads and resurface the stock rotors for $170. If I purchase new rotors and bring them in, the price will be even lower since I will just be paying for a short amount of labor time.
So, my questions to the forum members are:

1. Are the Girodisc Magic Pads a DIRECT fit replacement for the OEM pads or would I have to purchase anything else to make them fit? I don't want to show up to have my car worked on only to be turned away because I don't have all of the necessary parts with me.

2. I don't need to but am thinking or replacing the stock rotors while I'm having the pads done. One, I really like the look of drilled rotors and two, I know I'll have to replace them at one point or another. Who knows if that will be at 55, 60, or 70K miles. With that being said, can anyone reccommend a good DRILLED rotor that will only be used for daily driving?

Any information you guys can provide would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You,

LANDO
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The answer is NO on all counts.

1). No, nothing extra will need to be done to make the Magic Pads fit.

2). No, just get a set of StopTech Premium Rotors and be done with it. Want a different look over stock? Get Powerslot rotors (same company).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
NFSLancerRA,

Thanks for the feedback man. I was searching online looking at rotor options and I came across the offering from the 88rotors website. $229 for a PAIR of front drilled rotors and $200 for a PAIR of rear. Anyone ever heard of 88rotors.com? Although I want to save $$ , I don't want to purchase some cheap sh*t that I'll regret. NFS, I'll look into the StopTech and the Powerslots.

Here is 88Rotors website :

http://www.88rotors.com/evo-x-front-...ke-rotors.html

LANDO
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My absolute favorite rotors are from DBA. Basically, if they don't come from Brembo, StopTech/Centric, Disc Brakes Australia (DBA), or RacingBrake, I will not buy them. If stock rotors were cheaper, I would probably have purchased another set of those.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
My absolute favorite rotors are from DBA. Basically, if they don't come from Brembo, StopTech/Centric, Disc Brakes Australia (DBA), or RacingBrake, I will not buy them. If stock rotors were cheaper, I would probably have purchased another set of those.

I have the DBA Gold rotors up front, mainly for their performance on the track. They perform and look marvelous. For the rears I have the DBA OEM replacements because it doesn't realy matter.