Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question Raising Car 4 winter on Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 07:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Raising Car 4 winter on Coilovers

I'm sure handling will suffer, I'm also tired of replacing my underpanel every year too!
do you guys raise your EVO for winter use?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking a little higher 1/2" than stock.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
I'm sure handling will suffer, I'm also tired of replacing my underpanel every year too!
I want to know about this too, but also for when the car is towed! I have had to many damages!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
dont worry , just do a wheel alignment, that is all.

i have a raised and lowered Evo at a same time.
On public road/speed there is a very little chance you will feel anything different in handling.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
If you don't want to get two alignments per year, another option is to get a skid-plate and only use it during the winter ... until the freedom to drive where-ever you wish becomes too much for you and you leave the skid-plate on the car year-'round.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999

If you don't want to get two alignments per year, another option is to get a skid-plate and only use it during the winter ... until the freedom to drive where-ever you wish becomes too much for you and you leave the skid-plate on the car year-'round.
Good point about the alignments, I wonder how much Tires Plus or Firestone would like coming in that much with their lifetime alignment or do they have restrictions against doing that?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
i have NTB and i paid about 180 for a 2 year alignment. It was originally 150 but they charged extra because i have coilovers and im aloud to get as many as i want!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryukinevo
Good point about the alignments, I wonder how much Tires Plus or Firestone would like coming in that much with their lifetime alignment or do they have restrictions against doing that?
I have firestone lifetime alignment. I go in, on average, twice a year when I switch tires. Sometimes a couple more in between. Just be aware that the lifetime alignment comes with their "inspection," so they can try to find stuff to sell you on. I tell them to skip it because I don't need someone taking an hour out of my day to look for the battery and washer fluid.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sgtr275

I have firestone lifetime alignment. I go in, on average, twice a year when I switch tires. Sometimes a couple more in between. Just be aware that the lifetime alignment comes with their "inspection," so they can try to find stuff to sell you on. I tell them to skip it because I don't need someone taking an hour out of my day to look for the battery and washer fluid.
Firestone might be my answer then! They are national too! I was woundering what they would say? What do you tell them on the phone before you come in?

I need alignment ASAP, my steering is all loose from installing lowering springs.

I don't have time right now to put my new rear perrin end links on, does this part need alignment?

I also plan on buying ultra racing fender braces, rear sway bar, coilovers down the road which probably for each part I buy requires alignment.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have time right now to put my new rear perrin end links on, does this part need alignment?
The swaybar should have nothing to do with the alignment. But please note that I wrote "should." If there is a preload, then it can affect the alignment by rolling the car at rest.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:38 PM

i was thinking about raising it too, but i dont think i want to raise it and lower it again. I might just leave the car sitting there for the winter ..
Old Jan 31, 2015, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Firestone might be my answer then! They are national too! I was wondering what they would say? What do you tell them on the phone before you come in?

I need alignment ASAP, my steering is all loose from installing lowering springs.

I also plan on buying ultra racing fender braces, rear sway bar, coilovers down the road which probably for each part I buy requires alignment.
I am debating between Firestone and Tires Plus.
  • Issue is Firestone costs $180 for Lifetime and CARX has a 3 year for $100.
  • You never know if god forbid you wreck your evo and there goes your $180 lifetime alignment with the car! However, if you gamble and no wrecks, no sale for 3yrs you have to buy another $100 3yr alignment, but I guess you are only down $20!
  • Next problem I have to figure out is can CARX do alignment on lowered cars, I know Firestone can!
I settled on CARX, but I think that I made a decision that was only temporary! I had good luck with CARX on my dd, but I guess for lowered cars you can't go to them!
  • My evo 8 has a Kaminari body kit (2" ?) and oem stuts with Swift springs (1.5"?) so it barely fit on their rack. If your front bumper is perfect I would not recommend it!
  • On the phone they said, "Go to this CARX, it is the lowest", but I come to find out they are all mostly the same above ground lift. They don't take the effort to raise it up with boards or anything and I saw it touch my front bumper when they put it on!
  • Then it was too late, so like I said, if your bumper is perfect, I only recommend a shop that has a flush mount style alignment rack.

So my idea to pay $100 for 3 yr warranty failed for my evo and lucky it was on special for $50. Next time I get an alignment, I have to go pay the $180 for the lifetime at Firestone!

Also, buy at WORKS Croxx Plate II and a Beat Rush undertray like I have for winter! They are also both functional parts and will provide protection for the underneath of your car in the winter!

Good luck guys!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 07:21 PM

I try to do it every winter. Doesn't really take much time each corner. Lifetime alignment from Firestone FTW.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
lifetime alignment at brake check. I've been there 6 times within the last 8 months
Old Feb 13, 2015, 08:34 AM

Mine has been lowered all winter here in Michigan, no problems or damage.

Quick Reply: Question Raising Car 4 winter on Coilovers