Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pad Replacement. Did I just OVERpay ? ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Pad Replacement. Did I just OVERpay ? ?

Dear Forum Members,

I just had my brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced (42,000 miles) and felt that I got overcharged by the shop. Just looking to see if what I paid was fair in your eyes (for a shop to charge) or if they overcharged me.

I purchased a set of GiroDisc Magic Pads in order to save some $$$. The pads came HIGHLY reccomended from other forum members here for street use. I paid $180 for the pads on AMAZON. Since I moved into a new house AND have a newborn, I don't have time to do this myself. I called and FINALLY found an independent shop that would install the pads. They replaced the brake pads and resurfaced the rotors and the job job took 2 hours.

Lookin at the bill, th breakdown is as follows:

$144.42 - Remove & replace front pads. Resurface rotors.
$144.42 - Remove & replace rear pads. Resurface rotors.
$ 20.59 - Shop fees and tax
------------------------------------------
$309.43 Total

When you add the $180 I already paid, that brings my overall total to $489.43. I know this is STILL cheaper than if I went to the dealership and went with the OEM Brembo pads but still think it may be a BIT high.

So, you guys please be easy on me but I just want to know what you think about the price.

Thank You,
LandoCommando
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its at least 15.00 a piece to resurface rotors--so there is 60.00 of the price. Doesn't matter how long it took them to do the job--they charge flat rate hours by the book--so if it was 3hrs flat rate time x 75-100.00 and hr---there you go.
You need to understand that flat hrs rate is how mechanics get paid---, you cant bring your stuff to someone and ask them to do a job you didn't have time to do and them ( for lack of a better term) complain. Not saying that was you intention, just how it comes across.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by meckert
Not saying that was you intention, just how it comes across.
Believe me, I am not complaining. I just want to know IF I was quoted a "fair" price or if they were trying to rip me off since I didn't purchase the pads FROM them. The shop mgr is really into cars and has worked on several Evos in the past. I don't mind paying a fair price for a fair job. I just don't want to take my car back to him if he was trying to pull one over on me. I already told him once I hit 60,000 miles and my warranty ran out, I am planning on bringing my Evo in for some "upgrades" so I just think it would be bad business to try and rip off a potential future customer.

When I looked around online, I got around the same price. Most peope said rotor resurfacing costs about $15 - $30 depending on the shop. If you go with the high end, thats $120 right there. You add in flat rate for 2 hours of labor (say at $100/hour) that adds up to $320 right there and my bill was $309. So, I'm not saying that I WAS ripped off, I was just asking if that was fair to people who know more about this stuff than I do. I still feel like I've saved A LOT of $$$ compared to paying about $650 for a set of OEM Brembo pads + labor (whether it be from the stealership or from an independent mechanic). I feel I easily saved $500 already by going with different pads and an independent shop.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LandoCommando
When I looked around online, I got around the same price. Most peope said rotor resurfacing costs about $15 - $30 depending on the shop. If you go with the high end, thats $120 right there. You add in flat rate for 2 hours of labor (say at $100/hour) that adds up to $320 right there and my bill was $309. So, I'm not saying that I WAS ripped off, I was just asking if that was fair to people who know more about this stuff than I do. I still feel like I've saved A LOT of $$$ compared to paying about $650 for a set of OEM Brembo pads + labor (whether it be from the stealership or from an independent mechanic). I feel I easily saved $500 already by going with different pads and an independent shop.
You've answered your own question right there
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:49 PM

At my last place of employment we charged 1hr for the front and 1hr for the rear, at a labor rate of $100/hr.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:34 PM

I guess I got a steal of a deal because I got all four pads that I bought online replaced for $75 (the rotors were fine).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:51 AM
b3n
Evolving Member

I just had the same work done, pretty much paid the same thing.