Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Trying to confirm a Brembo OEM part fits

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to confirm a Brembo OEM part fits

So I went kinda mad from the volumes of reading there is on what to do when it comes time to first replace the front pads ('14 Evo GSR, 17k miles and they're toast already).

While laughing at the cost of OEM Brembo replacements I came across an interesting offer from the UK for what purport to be OEM pads... for less than $100 for the front set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231568374265...S:1123&vxp=mtr

It's Brembo part# "P54039"

It looks to me like the cheaper set is a UK-only item which doesn't surprise me that they would try and keep you from knowing it was available at a better cost OUTSIDE the US. Anyway I've seen the same set on other sites such as:

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-disc...rake-pads.html

These look like the right pads, and apparently fit UK model Evo's just fine. I'm not sure if this is the real deal, if it'll fit properly, or if there are any gotchas I'm not seeing.

If possible I'd prefer to just keep the OEM pads... but I'm not shelling out $300 for a front set that evaporates in 17k miles. This would wind up being just over $100 shipped which is plenty fair I think.

Anyone know if this is fine and should work (with relative certainty?)

Appreciate any input.

Last edited by nullcontext; May 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nullcontext
So I went kinda mad from the volumes of reading there is on what to do when it comes time to first replace the front pads ('14 Evo GSR, 17k miles and they're toast already).

While laughing at the cost of OEM Brembo replacements I came across an interesting offer from the UK for what purport to be OEM pads... for less than $100 for the front set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231568374265...S:1123&vxp=mtr

It's Brembo part# "P54039"

It looks to me like the cheaper set is a UK-only item which doesn't surprise me that they would try and keep you from knowing it was available at a better cost OUTSIDE the US. Anyway I've seen the same set on other sites such as:

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-disc...rake-pads.html

These look like the right pads, and apparently fit UK model Evo's just fine. I'm not sure if this is the real deal, if it'll fit properly, or if there are any gotchas I'm not seeing.

If possible I'd prefer to just keep the OEM pads... but I'm not shelling out $300 for a front set that evaporates in 17k miles. This would wind up being just over $100 shipped which is plenty fair I think.

Anyone know if this is fine and should work (with relative certainty?)

Appreciate any input.
Why do you want stock pads anyway?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 06:35 PM

Because I'm not in the mood for taking a risk on different performance with aftermarket pads. Eh, screw it I guess I'll just go for the Hawk HPS nonceramics and hope I'm satisfied with them.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Do some more research first before blowing money on what a lot of people would consider as pads that aren't great.

You are on the forums after all.

I also don't like HPS for the same reason why I don't like OEM. Too noisy for the latter half of their life.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 07:02 AM

Great, thanks, not terribly helpful.

Hell then I have no idea what to put in there. With as much money as I've blown on this car lately I might as well just suck it up and go pay the dealer for OEM replacement installation.

Unless someone has something constructive to add.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Girodisc Magic Pad

For something more biting and will work fine as a dual duty street / autoX pad
Ferodo DS2500
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the recommendation Roen. Just like every other pad I've explored though there are reports of the magic pads actually being squealy... though you never know what to believe based on reviews on the internet.

Since I'm not even sure if the rotors HAVE to be replaced/turned/whatever and there's a mechanic friend willing to help me do this I'm just going to go with a Powerslot set of ceramic pads and rotor discs that I can get for $165~...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k137

It's cheap enough to give a try and if it's not good enough then I'll know how to change the parts out again the second time.

That way I can make sure I'm happy with the noise/dusting and performance vs. stock.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nullcontext
Thanks for the recommendation Roen. Just like every other pad I've explored though there are reports of the magic pads actually being squealy... though you never know what to believe based on reviews on the internet.

Since I'm not even sure if the rotors HAVE to be replaced/turned/whatever and there's a mechanic friend willing to help me do this I'm just going to go with a Powerslot set of ceramic pads and rotor discs that I can get for $165~...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k137

It's cheap enough to give a try and if it's not good enough then I'll know how to change the parts out again the second time.

That way I can make sure I'm happy with the noise/dusting and performance vs. stock.
$165 for all 4 pads and rotors? damn.

Oh it's only for the front.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Roen
$165 for all 4 pads and rotors? damn.

Oh it's only for the front.
It does sound too cheap to be decent doesn't it? Anyway, the rears don't need pads yet at this point. The difference in wear between F/R is not huge but they do wear at different rates and will maybe need to be replaced at different points in time.

Another reason for me to figure out how to do it myself.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Evo's only need 1 piece rotors if they're not tracking.

$165 for just the fronts is ok. Look at Rock Auto, you can get cheap quality stuff there if you know how to brand shop.