Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I Finally got $1500 for coilovers! What should i get! or should?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I Finally got $1500 for coilovers! What should i get! or should?

This car is for show. No track use. Should i even bother with coils or just get lowering springs? I am not experienced with suspension work. I'm trying to get pretty low.. Eibach springs low.. What should i do guys? I know coils are very expensive but again, i am not tracking this car at all. I have another one for that. Suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If for looks, no point in dropping a ton of cash on coilovers, IMO.
If you can find a spring that puts the car where you want it, go that route. Then have $1000+ left over.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If for looks, no point in dropping a ton of cash on coilovers, IMO.
If you can find a spring that puts the car where you want it, go that route. Then have $1000+ left over.

I disagree 100%

Your ride quality on a low spring is going to be garbage as the stock shocks/struts won't have any travel left in them.

I've been super happy with the Fortune Auto Coilovers on my Ralliart and am thinking about a set for the X. Assembled in the US and rebuildable. What else could you ask for at this price point? Oh, and spend the extra $80 on the radial mounts.
http://www.dsgperformance.com/Fortun...rs-Evolution-X
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Then I need more advice...help guys!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, advice/opinions are plentiful. I've been through it and you'll get "buy springs", "no, buy expensive coilovers, everything else is crap", "there's some good product for $1500 but everything under 1k is crap", and "I bought X and they are great" followed by "you know nothing John Snow".

There's a 9 page thread about this already:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...coilovers.html

My take away was that Ohlins are sex, Fortune Auto and FEAL are passable, and everyone else has their own opinion.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortune Auto 500's man. They're awesome coils and well priced!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:30 PM
kaj

Okay, ill elaborate on my suggestion.
FA are great coilovers. I track my car and need parts that work. FA will build them to your specs with proper valving, etc all for a very, very good price. I know other people that track on them and do very well. Granted, these aren't their entry-level sets, but OP isn't looking to build a race car. Their customer service is the best I've seen. That's saying a lot, as KW is 20mins from me and I can't much support from them other than parts.
OP said this was a show car and didn't mention caring about ride quality or performance, so I suggested springs. IMO he doesn't need coilovers.
If someone can toss a set of Swift springs on their stock struts and do well on the race track, OP will be fine too. :-)
For lowering, any spring or coilovers will do. If you want a cushy ride, be ready to pay more. KWs ride excellent, by the way.
Rule of thumb: the more you pay, the better the ride. Keep the spring rates soft, like 8k rear 9k front (opposite of what track cars do).
I still vote a nice set of progressive lowering springs will do just fine.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Raceland coilovers. $1500 should get you like 3 or 4 sets.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard good things about KW!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

What does it mean when you guys say "travel"? Like I said, I know nothing about suspension.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:25 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
What does it mean when you guys say "travel"? Like I said, I know nothing about suspension.
travel = how much room your wheel can move up before it hits the bump stops. A good set of lowering springs shouldn't allow you to be too near that point, though.

technically, using lowering springs does put more stress on your struts so you may end up getting less miles out of them. i've never killed a set, so i'm not sure how much less they might last. the lower you go: the more stress.
unless you are hella tucked, i wouldn't worry about it LOL.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 6, 2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
This car is for show. No track use.
For show, you will likely need to spend more than $1500 on coilovers to impress any judges. Just get some lowering springs.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
For show, you will likely need to spend more than $1500 on coilovers to impress any judges. Just get some lowering springs.
i think actually for car show , he needs a coilover vs spring. Those coilovers are good for show, most judges i guess wouldnt give more points FA vs Ohlins, as long as teh FA has a better looking camber plates lol. As long as has a red or some shiny color they will add points for his car vs the very subtle springs look. Most cheapos are comes with camber plates which also would raise the bar, specially if he picks the coilover by the camber plate color. Like matching with a car or the engine bay etc. I am sure you got the idea.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He wants to go really low. Springs wont lower you as much as a coilover or bags can and will.

Quick Reply: I Finally got $1500 for coilovers! What should i get! or should?