Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which street pad has the least amount of dust?
Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads
40.00%
Girodisc "Magic Pads"
0%
Stoptech 309 Brake Pads
40.00%
Stoptech 308 Brake Pads
20.00%
Other (please specify in your reply)
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Hawk, Girodisk, Stoptech: Which street pad has the least amount of dust?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Wink Hawk, Girodisk, Stoptech: Which street pad has the least amount of dust?

I'm looking for a brake pad (for street use) with the least amount of dust, so I don't have to clean the wheels every other week!!! Here are a few brake pad options that have a reputation of having less dust:

Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads: ~US$250 (~C$340)+tax and shipping
I heard that they have greyish, lighter-coloured dust that are great for street driving, although they are probably the loudest and squeal like crazy.

Girodisc "Magic Pads": ~US$165 (~C$230)+tax and shipping
Supposedly a higher end competitor to popular inexpensive Stoptech 309 pads. They don't squeal.

Stoptech Sport/Street Perf (309) Brake Pads: ~US$120 (~C$160)+tax and shipping
I currently have these and I'm troubled by the amount of dust they generate. The dust often necessitate taking the wheels off for cleaning, which is a great waste of time and money. They are very noisy, but I somehow enjoy it as the squeal make the brakes feel more powerful than they really are.

Stoptech Street (308) Brake Pads: ~US$125 (~C$170)+tax and shipping
The latest offer by Stoptech that just came out. Not many online reviews yet, but my dealer is already recommending them. Stoptech claims these are "rotor-friendly, low-dust." I believe the correct part number for Evo X application is 308.10010 and 308.13680.

Do you have any other low-dust pads to recommend? Please kindly share!! I personally don't like the idea of dual-use pads and want my street pads strictly for the show and track pads strictly for the track, so don't worry about track performance if there is a low dust option out there.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from stock to girodisc rotors and hawk hps and it squeaks once in awhile but the brake dust is not that bad and they stop great
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junya1985
I went from stock to girodisc rotors and hawk hps and it squeaks once in awhile but the brake dust is not that bad and they stop great
I heard from mechanics that Hawk HPS is an excellent pad too, although some Evo owners don't like it for a few reasons including the squeal. I hope Hawk's ceramic offer has even lower amount of dust.

I'm open to ceramic pads for the street, but I'm unsure if I should go straight to the top-of-the-line offer by Hawk. Autozone has a ceramic pad for the street called the CMax (~US$90 or ~C$120) and I think the part number for Evo X application is DGC1001 front and DGC1368 rear. They've been getting positive reviews from Evo owners, see here and here. People say the Autozone's Duralast CMax brake pads have great street manners and are quiet and low dust. Some Lexus dude even gave it extravagant praise:

Originally Posted by anthongy
to be honest the duralast c-max pads were comparable to hawk performance ceramic, but then again i had brembo slotted rotors.

Just a reminder op, these are not meant to be race pads, and do overheat going down a steep incline, be aware of what you have and brake accordingly.
(Source: Reddit Cars)

Hawk Ceramic has been a niche choice of our community. Some think it simply doesn't do the job for aggressive stopping, but at least most agree that it is indeed low dust:

Originally Posted by logitech80
DD.. I used hawk ceramic pads before[. It] was ok.. Little brake dust and super long life.. U can get it for under $200 shipped from some online site or vendors here
I also recently saw a Ralliart for sale with Hawk Ceramic pads. The dust looks lighter than most performance pads indeed:

Hawk, Girodisk, Stoptech: Which street pad has the least amount of dust?-dbe1tjv.jpg

Last edited by Lightsaber; Aug 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added content
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
stoptech street will leave a lot of dust... I regret buying those.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll have the least amount of dust from a ceramic pad, however, you'll trade some higher heat range stopping ability. The Hawk Perf Ceramic pads are a happier medium. They have really low dust and hold a bit longer, compared to the other brands, in the higher temp range before falling off.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
You'll have the least amount of dust from a ceramic pad, however, you'll trade some higher heat range stopping ability. The Hawk Perf Ceramic pads are a happier medium. They have really low dust and hold a bit longer, compared to the other brands, in the higher temp range before falling off.
Expert inside!!! I greatly appreciate that, Neal! I haven't decided on the brake pads, but I recommended Tire Rack to my coworkers and friends and they all like it! You guys have insightful reviews and very good service.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem! Good luck