Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension Advice

Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suspension Advice

Hey,

been reading post after post but can't lock it down. I want a 3-way suspension. My X GSR is 99% trackcar.

options are 3way Fortuneauto, 3way KW clubsport. Maybe AST. But....

Its a ton of money. I can get for half the TEIN Circuit Master (Super Racing) 2-way with EDFC active pro suspension computer.

Now, there are just no opinions on the FA, bad about the KW and none of the AST (though lots of praise for motons, which is almost the same).

No reviews at all about the Super racing, found only for evo ix.

My thought is that with the EDFC controller, I can make the 2-way TEIN to give me 3-way functionality for half the price.

I'm looking for help from someone that has actual experience with any 3-way suspension, I know no one will chime in for the TEIN sadly.

Old Dec 9, 2016, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Every Tein product I have bought has been garbage in the end don't bother. Always wears out fast and even when its within there own warranty period they still want to charge you for a rebuild. Just get ohlins and call it a day.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Every Tein product I have bought has been garbage in the end don't bother. Always wears out fast and even when its within there own warranty period they still want to charge you for a rebuild. Just get ohlins and call it a day.
Why is Tein's quality so bad? I don't get it. You mean Ohlins road & track? Because I go to 4 different tracks that do requiere fine tuning. I believe I need something more than R&T. Ohlins TTX or any other 2-3-4 way coilover is Motorsport spec and way over budget
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
If you are going to spend the $ for a quality set of coilovers, I would recommend MCS http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/

Give them a call and explain your goals, they are super helpful.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by nemsin
If you are going to spend the $ for a quality set of coilovers, I would recommend MCS http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/

Give them a call and explain your goals, they are super helpful.
Thanks, will give them a call. But, given where they are priced at, I would prefer to go with a household name like AST. BTW budget is $5k top

Last edited by Franco Saval; Dec 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Yea Ohlins is the way to go. There are many many threads already about how good they are as well as the reliability factor. Are you doing scca or nasa time trials? Or are you just hitting tracks for fun?
The following users liked this post:
Franco Saval (Dec 16, 2016)
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:56 PM

Yea Ohlins is the way to go. There are many many threads already about how good they are as well as the reliability factor. Are you doing scca or nasa time trials? Or are you just hitting tracks for fun?
I do clubracing, I'm normally against ttrs, cupras with the value of the car in mods, gt4s, all types of 911s and other ultra-modified hot hatches. I do need to at least adjust compression and rebound independently. I do run r-compound tires.

Yeah, R&T is a great coilover, but I'm looking to extract more performance than that.

On the sideline, I'm a rally copilot and have experience first hand AST and Reiger systems. If I had the dough I would certainly try Ohlins 2-way
Old Dec 14, 2016, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe you should post your question here, you will prolly get more relevant responses , in the motor sports section. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/
Old Dec 15, 2016, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ohlins are great for a street/track car. But with a $5k budget, and OP's car being 99% track only, there are better options, because, unfortunately, ohlins go from $2500ish for the R/T', up to the $10k range for their true motorsports offerings. AST, MCS, Moton, make good middle ground stuff that will be better for the OP's use of the car.

OP, I would stay away from KW, they aren't that great unless you get custom valving and spring rates from Robi-spec.
Franco Saval (Dec 16, 2016)
Old Dec 15, 2016, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Franco Saval
Thanks, will give them a call. But, given where they are priced at, I would prefer to go with a household name like AST. BTW budget is $5k top
MCS is top-shelf and based in the US so you get full support quickly. But its your money.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
MCS is top-shelf and based in the US so you get full support quickly. But its your money.
I'm putting FA and MCS on par. Can you point me to a review fo the MCS system on an evo? couldn't locate one on evom
Old Dec 17, 2016, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I'm putting FA and MCS on par. Can you point me to a review fo the MCS system on an evo? couldn't locate one on evom
Evom is not the best place for suspension reviews as most evo owners needs/budget tops out at a set of Ohlins R&T. For a true motorsport setup, you need to talk with people that have experience running/building/servicing multiple setups.

Give these guys a call, tell them your goals/budget, and ask them what they recommend and why:
http://www.vorshlag.com/shocks.php
http://www.anzeengineering.com/

Last edited by nemsin; Dec 17, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I would definitely call vorshlag for advice or input on the MCS stuff. They walk my cousin through getting his S197 chassis fully setup for aggressive/street canyon blasting (went with bilstien HD's and pretty much every single part whiteline makes for the car). And the car is perfect.
Franco Saval (Dec 20, 2016)
Old Dec 19, 2016, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
this is false, MCS is 2-3 orders of magnitude above FA. MCS is a fairly new name but the engineers aren't new to dampers, it was started buy a few engineers that left a Moton and JRZ.

if you wanna spend around 5k your options should be MCS, JRZ, Penske, and Ohlins TTX (not sure if you can get the TTX in your budget). and then from there base your decision which will give you the best/easiest access to service for where you live.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 08:10 AM

that's good to hear. TTX is definitely not in budget. I'm negotiating a second hand brand new set of AST 3-way in europe. Will let you know how it goes. In the rally team I'm in, AST and reiger are the suspension of choice. They also have run TTX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Advice