Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2015 Evo X Final Edition Front End Suspension Noise Help!

Old Jan 8, 2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Evo X Final Edition Front End Suspension Noise Help!

Sup everyone, I drive a 2015 Evo X Final Edition. It's lowered on Tein Flex Z coilovers. Recently, I have noticed a Front End suspension noise or "creak" if you will. It's coming from the driver Front only and happens at full wheel lock at zero speed. Such as pulling into and or out of a parking spot I will notice it. There is ZERO noise while full lock and moving. Just makes this noise at no speed. I retorqued the top strut nuts as I thought maybe they got loose from install. Didn't change anything. I retorqued my lug nuts to be sure. Didn't change anything. My next step was going to check the torque on the lower strut mount bolts as maybe they became slightly loose since install?? They have only been on for a few months. This noise wasn't there from day one. It just has gotten more noticeable the past 2 months or so. I am in Wi and while I'm not really driving it in the winter, it is cold. I'm just not sure what to try next. Any thoughts or tips? Thanks in advance. Here is a vid of my car and the noise: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXh9J_tlK18
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
maybe some rubber bushings binding up. sway bar endlinks or something
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
if it wasn't a Final Edition I'd be able to tell you exactly what it was, but since the Final Edition is completely different from the other Evo X's I have no idea

on a serious note, it sounds like it could be spring bind. whats the top hat on your coilovers look like? does it have a separate bearing for the spring to rotate on or does the spring sit against the top hat?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Thanks for your response. My car has 4800 miles.. I would hope it wasn't an end link or some other stock Suspension part.. lol
Old Jan 9, 2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk
if it wasn't a Final Edition I'd be able to tell you exactly what it was, but since the Final Edition is completely different from the other Evo X's I have no idea

on a serious note, it sounds like it could be spring bind. whats the top hat on your coilovers look like? does it have a separate bearing for the spring to rotate on or does the spring sit against the top hat?
I will have to look. They are Tein Flex Z coilovers though.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea I'm not sure.. my Suspension is totally stock except for the Tein coilovers.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Strtracer522
I will have to look. They are Tein Flex Z coilovers though.
I don't know the kinda tops the Flex Z's have so that doesn't really tell me anything.

the more I listen to it the more it sounds like spring bind to me. how did you set your preload? did you make sure all the bolts are tight? is the top nut on the coilover tight?

spring perches have a tendency to come loose on McStrut coilovers, so make sure they're tight. but I don't see that making this kinda noise
Old Jan 10, 2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I don't know the kinda tops the Flex Z's have so that doesn't really tell me anything.

the more I listen to it the more it sounds like spring bind to me. how did you set your preload? did you make sure all the bolts are tight? is the top nut on the coilover tight?

spring perches have a tendency to come loose on McStrut coilovers, so make sure they're tight. but I don't see that making this kinda noise
Thank you for your help. I didn't mess with the preload. I left them the way they came out of the box. I will hopefully get around to try some things this weekend as my car is in storage. I will keep you posted. Thanks again
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:42 AM

Hey Everyone, just a quick update. I was able to figure out what my issue was! Turned out to be very simple which was good. It ended up being the Plastic Air Guides that are mounted right behind the calipers that direct air flow to the calipers for cooling. On each side, they were bottoming out against the calipers at almost full wheel lock. All I had to do was take them off, trim them back so they would clear at full wheel lock and it was good to go! I will post a few pics as well. Thanks for your input

Here is the Air Guide that was giving me issues.

Here you can see that they were bottoming out against the calipers

Here you can see the damage to each Air Guide from rubbing/bottoming out.

Here is after I trimmed them back to give them more clearance.
The following users liked this post:
migs647 (Feb 6, 2017)