Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Road and Track or KW V3

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Correct spring rates will help more than the roll center kit. The whiteline roll center kit is such a minute adjustment, it's barely worth it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Correct spring rates will help more than the roll center kit. The whiteline roll center kit is such a minute adjustment, it's barely worth it.
I second this especially for a street car. if you were racing and every last .001 second mattered sure. for a street car and maybe a track day or 2 a year, I wouldn't bother. I didn't feel any difference when I did it on mine.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
roll centre kit makes sense if you lower the car. People often talk to great lengths about the change in roll centre height vs CG centre but forget that by dropping the outer ball joint (which is what a roll centre kit will do) you are effectively changing the wheel camber curve in bump and roll, which is what will give you more front end grip in corners..
Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
roll centre kit makes sense if you lower the car. People often talk to great lengths about the change in roll centre height vs CG centre but forget that by dropping the outer ball joint (which is what a roll centre kit will do) you are effectively changing the wheel camber curve in bump and roll, which is what will give you more front end grip in corners..
yeah that is why I am asking. Just want to keep the geometry in a good shape
I will go as lower as 1.75 inch in front, and maybe 1.25 inch at the rear or rather leave it to 1 inch.
Also it does makes the suspension work happier doesn't it?
Whiteline think so:
"Raising the front roll-centre results in a substantial increase to front roll resistance and a significant reduction in suspension compression of the outside front wheel during cornering"

thanks
Old Jan 17, 2017, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I will go as lower as 1.75 inch in front, and maybe 1.25 inch at the rear or rather leave it to 1 inch.
Whiteline think so:
"Raising the front roll-centre results in a substantial increase to front roll resistance and a significant reduction in suspension compression of the outside front wheel during cornering"

thanks

short answer is Yes do use roll centre adjusting kit if you lower the car ...
Thing is, what you want to avoid is having front arms paralel to the ground when the car is at ride height... this will give you quite big roll centre location changes in roll. On thing X has different to 8 and 9 is higher front roll centre for start..

One thing I would not do is lower the car too much.. also have in mind that you need a comprehensive kit that chenges the tie rod ends too unless you want bump steer problems too (evos have toe out in bump just like any normal road car)

I tried several ohlins on X and I would not go lower than ohlins reccomendation, which is about 1 inch lower than stock IIRC.. Their adjustment range is officially +- 15mm although we did raise it more on one car for winter use.. (rears nedeed a spacer for that)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

so you think 1 - 1 would be a the best for lowering?
Hm.. i am still leaning towards the 1.5 inch front. I need a good rake
Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Whiteline think so:

thanks
"significant" is a significant overstatement. If you need new ball joints anyway, go for it. if you're ball joints are fine, don't waste your money.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The whiteline roll center kit is pointless. It changes the position of the roll center about 5mm, it doesn't do much. You'll see much greater benefit from getting heavier rear springs and having PSI revalve to match.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

so you think 1 - 1 would be a the best for lowering?
Hm.. i am still leaning towards the 1.5 inch front. I need a good rake
I built a e9 for a friend that has ohlins with 10k springs in the back an 8 in the front... that one needs no rake.. it just wants to go sideways all the time..

if I were you I would slap on a set of ohlins and fit stiffer springs in the back first.. .worry about ball joints later..

and I would not lower the car more than 25 mm in any case.. but it might be just me, because we have rough roads over here..
Old Feb 22, 2017, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

so I unpacked my Ohlins, there is not even a competition in quality between the KW V3 I had in 2008, and these Ohlins DFV R/T's
These Ohlins are a master piece for the price you pay for them.

Old Feb 22, 2017, 05:10 PM
EvoM Guru

are you gonna put the badges on your car? I'm going back and forth about putting mine on my Miata...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
are you gonna put the badges on your car? I'm going back and forth about putting mine on my Miata...
no i am not.
I am about to take off the red vinyl over the Mitsubishi symbol too.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

no i am not.
I am about to take off the red vinyl over the Mitsubishi symbol too.
but but they're like real badges, not just stickers...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Like I said, KW's are junk compared.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

word of warning.. they do not like road salt too much.. I use copper grerase on all threads which makes servicing them a breeze.. make sure you tighten the top mount central nut properly..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins Road and Track or KW V3