Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers Installed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers Installed

Continuing to make progress on the Evo. Got my PSS10 coilovers installed and couldn't be happier.

They are (imho) more of a "super street" coilover, designed to provide a reasonable ride but with enough adjustability to still handle all but the most extreme track work. The ride is perhaps even better than stock, the car is super flat through turns and even with questionable all season tires on for winter, just sticks to the road. Having had used these on both of my previous 911's, they were exactly what I wanted for a car that splits time between street and track. Highly recommended!

I did film the entire installation and will put it up in the How To section as soon as I can get enough nice weather to get some driving footage. There is the added bonus of cleaning up that nasty fender gap and making the car sit down properly.

Name:  16700421_10100554361893087_3445508821544057225_o.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.1 KB
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I had a set of PSS10's on my Fiesta ST and I really liked them.

However for the Evo 10, I have no idea why anybody would get them over the Ohlins, which offer much more for the same approx price.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:09 AM

The Ohlins are a super nice setup, for sure. Probably a touch more hardcore than the PSS10's. The big difference for me was being able to retain stock strut bearings/mounts and the associated ride comfort benefits. That, and having had been very pleased with the last two sets (both of which got a fair amount of miles put on them), I wanted to stick with a setup that had worked for me very well in the past. I know they hold up well to corrosion ( a real concern in the midwest) and lots of miles. I don't really think you can lose either way though.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't Ohlins have to be rebuilt in 20k miles or something like that? I assumed Bilstein PSS10 was offering stock-like longevity as one of their selling points.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
Don't Ohlins have to be rebuilt in 20k miles or something like that? I assumed Bilstein PSS10 was offering stock-like longevity as one of their selling points.
No, that is suggested service mileage but they don't fall apart every 20k. Proven over many owners and miles.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 02:13 PM

Haven't owned a set of Ohlins, but I know more than a few very satisfied users.

With that said, you can absolutely expect OE like wear on the Bilsteins. I put nearly 60k on my 996 turbo running them (including a lot of track time) and they were still strong when I sold the car.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
No, that is suggested service mileage but they don't fall apart every 20k. Proven over many owners and miles.
The ohlins are something I'd like to get. But my car is a true daily driver, 26k miles in 15 months so I think it might regret it if I go there.

Actually it's using my Evo X as a commuter is what has stopped me thus far from modding.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
The ohlins are something I'd like to get. But my car is a true daily driver, 26k miles in 15 months so I think it might regret it if I go there.

Actually it's using my Evo X as a commuter is what has stopped me thus far from modding.
ill let you know pm me next weekend or a week after , I give you my honest feed back on them as a DD.

I think the service every 20K miles is not a big deal . But for sure bigger inter volume is better between services. Although its a performance car so every two year to check on suspension is not a bad idea

I drove my car since 2014 , 46k miles.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph_mills
Continuing to make progress on the Evo. Got my PSS10 coilovers installed and couldn't be happier.

They are (imho) more of a "super street" coilover, designed to provide a reasonable ride but with enough adjustability to still handle all but the most extreme track work. The ride is perhaps even better than stock, the car is super flat through turns and even with questionable all season tires on for winter, just sticks to the road. Having had used these on both of my previous 911's, they were exactly what I wanted for a car that splits time between street and track. Highly recommended!

I did film the entire installation and will put it up in the How To section as soon as I can get enough nice weather to get some driving footage. There is the added bonus of cleaning up that nasty fender gap and making the car sit down properly.

I am sure they much better then the OEM
Old Feb 25, 2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I am sure they much better then the OEM
Definitely loving the improvement. Wish the roads would clear off so I could take it out to enjoy it a bit!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My cousin has B12's on his mustang. They do not ride well compared to my Ohlins, at all. And his car has 1/3 of the spring rate...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
My cousin has B12's on his mustang. They do not ride well compared to my Ohlins, at all. And his car has 1/3 of the spring rate...
Definitely a different animal between the B12's and the B16's. the B12 is a much more budget friendly kit, more of a slight bump over stock. Not bad for the money but definitely not a PSS10. I'm sure the Ohlins would be night and day.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:04 AM

Just got the video wrapped up! Most of this should apply irrespective of which coilovers you use:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-4k-video.html
Old Feb 10, 2020, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Bump

Not a ton of info on these out there for the Evo X, since overshadowed by the more popular Ohlins R&T. But, I ordered a set of these on sale, and looking forward to getting them on the car. I was swayed by their advertised corrosion resistance, and they seem to be a more "care-free" coilover setup in the maintenance department compared to some other more racy options that would undoubtedly require short service intervals. I needed an adjustable coilover setup that would provide a "better than stock" ride, and still be able to hold up to the elements, and future miles as well. Gravel is used on the roads instead of salt in the winter where I'm at, which is a current plus. I'm hoping to get better performance and some longevity out of these *****.

Spring rates were not listed anywhere, but a quick phone call to Billstein support sorted that out. For anyone else's future reference, here are the rates.

FRONT: 6.4 KG/MM (progressive main spring)
REAR: 6.1 KG/MM (progressive main spring)

Old Feb 10, 2020, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GSR 2K13
FRONT: 6.4 KG/MM (progressive main spring)
REAR: 6.1 KG/MM (progressive main spring)
Wow, those are soft!

Another "problem" with the Bilsteins is that there is no shock body length adjustment, only perch, so the more you lower it, the less travel you get. Just like lowering springs on non-adjustable struts.

They will probably be comfy on the street if you don't lower it by much.
The following users liked this post:
mecenasrally (Feb 12, 2020)

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers Installed