Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

evo 8MR/9 ACD vs. STI DCCD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8MR/9 ACD vs. STI DCCD

for the advanced users that owned or owns both EVO and STI, can you guys chime in?

i swapped in a JDM spec-c 6mt into my WRX and i use an aftermarket DCCD unit to control the center diff. it's 100% manual with a few auto features. nothing advanced as the OEM Auto feature tho. i'm really interested in the EVO9MR and i wanted to know as much as i can before i get my foot into one.

so how would you guys compare the evo's ACD to the STI's DCCD? all i know is that the evo has 3 settings but can you manually control it like the sti's DCCD?

*for those that were wondering if the STI's rear can whip out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4nFIyP-WOw
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

If you want a rear that whips out stay with the Subie. If you want a car that grips and handles well, get the Mitsu.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:00 PM

i'll be owning both cars hopefully. i won't get rid of my subie. i jsut want to know what owners have to say.

ie. using snow ACD on gravel or using gravel ACD on tarmac. any advatages or disadvantages etc.?

Last edited by Swift2Fly; Aug 20, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

there's a sticky here somewhere explaining exactly how ACD works.

edit: here u go. (better to give u this than to explain it in my own words lol)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=175195
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

thats a neat idea on subies side +1
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

the acd on the evo isn't 'controllable' like the one in the subie, but you can get it flashed or even get it to have several modes more than the original 3.

I would say that it's not as noticable as in the subie. I mean, if I lock it on my subie, it starts popping at full steering lock. As far as I know, the evo's system actually does quite a lot of sensing to work out what to do so it's virtually always in 'auto' mode - what mode you put is it just change a few constants used in the calculation of the 'auto' controller. The Subie system mainly has one 'auto' more and it works from there regardless of the surface (but it still takes info from the various sensors).

The main difference with regards to sliding and so on is really to do with the more rear-biased torque on the pre '05 sti's (35:65) while the '06 are more like 45:55 plus the wheel base on the evo is longer. Some people also do rwd conversions on them.

You might know already, but here's a good link to how the dccd work.
http://wallace.as.arizona.edu/~cgrop.../DCCD_FAQ.html
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

I've got both an STi and a IX MR. The DCCD feature is pretty cool if you take the time to learn which it sounds like you have. Then you also know that it is the only way to really get the STi to get the tail out. Mine is an understeering pig when it's set on the auto mode. When I set the control to the rear I can get the car to oversteer and feel more like a good rear wheel drive car.

The IX set on tarmac mode will oversteer without any problem. I've tried to on dry pavement in the gravel mode too with the same effect but IMO your best bet is to set it for the appropriate setting and just drive. The car becomes very predictable and the rear will slide out very easy. But it is controllable and predictable with the throttle. I used to own an E30 M3 which is the best handling car I've ever owned. The IX handles and behaves very similar to the M3. The steering is just as sharp and precise as the M and the car will oversteer just as smooth and predictable as the little M. I just wish the Evo could get into the sub-3000 lb weight class like the M3.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:34 AM

thanks for the response guys. i'll read more about ACD in the sticky.

Max-Q - you make me want to rush and get an EVO today! but i have to financially plan, in other words save up for a nice downpayment so i won't be butt hurt with high monthly payments.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

before i traded in my 05 STi i used to be able to get the rear end to slide out in auto mode with no problems at all....never really experienced understeer in the sti...and i haven't had the MR long enough to tell anything about the ACD
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golovko
before i traded in my 05 STi i used to be able to get the rear end to slide out in auto mode with no problems at all....never really experienced understeer in the sti...and i haven't had the MR long enough to tell anything about the ACD
Me neither. I've never had a problem with getting the *** end around or experiencing major understeer when the DCCD was set in "Auto." I just give the wheel a good flick when I feel the understeer coming on. I guess some people just have more skill than others......

The Evo is definitely more "fluid" in its maneuvers but grab the STi by the neck, give it a good wringing, and it will most certainly get up and dance.