Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Cat-back and turbo-back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat-back and turbo-back exhaust

What is the deffience between Cat-back and turbo-back exhaust?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:08 AM

The cat back bolts up to your catalytic converter, which is about halfway under your car. This leaves some of the more restrictive parts in place.

The turbo back replaces the cat and downpipe and bolts all the way up to the turbo. So, you'll get more power going this route.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Sure, why not I'll bite...

A cat-back exhaust is an exhaust that starts from the CATalytic Converter, a turbo-back exhaust starts at the Turbo. It includes a downpipe, and/or a testpipe/High Flow-Cat and ends with the exhaust.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

so the 02 housing is between the tbe and turbo right? Why does getting a new one of these help out so much?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

^ want to know answer too.
Installed 3" TBE today and didnt have test pipe so used stock catalytic converter(guessing 2.5inch?)
Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joon82
^ want to know answer too.
Installed 3" TBE today and didnt have test pipe so used stock catalytic converter(guessing 2.5inch?)

By doing that you have pretty much rendered you downpipe all but useless. When you put a test pipe in there you will pic up a noticable differece. Like 15 hp. The o2 housing is good for 5-10 hp. But its a ***** to install.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

i went to a muffler shop the other day, guy told me to get a cat-back because he saw my brand new car with about 2000 miles on the clock and said by going with a cat-back it would not void my powertrain warranty at all.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

From what I have read here on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if they voided your powertrain warranty for a catback.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
By doing that you have pretty much rendered you downpipe all but useless. When you put a test pipe in there you will pic up a noticable differece. Like 15 hp. The o2 housing is good for 5-10 hp. But its a ***** to install.
tell me about it...i have that set up...can't wait to get me a test pipe asap.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

The cat back is everything from the catalytic converter back it helps flow a little bit more air, but the cat is still your biggest downfall with this set up. A turbo back should completely eliminate your cat via a test pipe. With the turbo back set up you shouldnt have any bottlenecks from the turbo outlet hence increaseing flow and decreasing back pressure. the more flow the better, although some back pressure is always necessary. If you run a downpipe without a testpipe you are basically just wasting money because the system will still hit a major restriction before exiting through the rest of the exhaust thus decreasing overall flow. Hope this helps
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
A turbo back should completely eliminate your cat via a test pipe. With the turbo back set up you shouldnt have any bottlenecks from the turbo outlet hence increaseing flow and decreasing back pressure. the more flow the better, although some back pressure is always necessary.
Not true. Back pressure (after the turbo) is unnecessary and undesirable.

If you run a downpipe without a testpipe you are basically just wasting money because the system will still hit a major restriction before exiting through the rest of the exhaust thus decreasing overall flow. Hope this helps
Not true. A high-flow cat will flow better than the stock cat, and is, obviously, more emissions-friendly. A test pipe will be less restrictive, of course, but it'll also be louder.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:46 AM

The important thing is making sure your cat and downpipe are the same diameter. In other words, you don't wanna run a 3" downpipe into a 2.5" cat, testpipe, whatever. A 3" high-flow cat is still better than a 2.5" testpipe, though I can't imagine for the life of me why anybody would put a 2.5" testpipe on a 3" downpipe lol. The advantage of buying a full TBE is that it doesn't have to neck down anywhere, as opposed to adding a test pipe and down pipe to a CBE that was designed to fit on the stock cat. At least, that's how I understand it. As far as warranty goes talk to your service rep. Mine told me he was completely fine win breather mods like TBE and intake, even a dyno tune. It really depends on your particular dealership, since it is up to the tech there as to where something will void the warranty or not. However, I would think an 02 housing would be much more likely to void the warranty than CBE or TBE, since you risk damaging the turbo if something goes wrong. Can't imagine how a TBE would void your warranty, other than a claim that is exhaust related. They won't warranty any part that is aftermarket, for obvious reasons. But it shouldn't affect the rest of the powertrain warranty.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burchdc
Can't imagine how a TBE would void your warranty, other than a claim that is exhaust related.
I can. The purpose of a TBE is to produce more power. More power means more stress on the engine and drivetrain. That doesn't prove that the TBE caused the problem, but is possible.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshesh
so the 02 housing is between the tbe and turbo right? Why does getting a new one of these help out so much?
Improvded flow characteristics.

The reason why a turbo back is likely to void your new car warranty is becuase it's modifying the emissions systems of the vehicle - The emissions systems are a major component of the vehicle that interface with both the ECU and other engine related components. Hope that helps.

A catback should not and likely will not void your new car warranty (check with your local service manager). My car goes to the shop all the time with a catback and no part of my warranty is voided other than the part that was removed and probably the parts that it connects to (exhaust hangers). I suspect if anything in the exhaust section had a problem they would likely try to not cover it.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I have 3" dp with stock cat converter and 3" cat.
Do I really need 3" test pipe or hfc? That will be extra $100 on exhaust.

Quick Reply: Cat-back and turbo-back exhaust