Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Driver side front brake creaking....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side front brake creaking....

Got an odd one for you guys. Noise just started today.. at least from what I can remember. Anyway, stepping on the brake pedal, you can immediately hear a creaking noise coming from the driver side front wheel. Doesn't matter if the car is in motion, or is stationary; engine on or off. The harder I depress the pedal, the louder the creak. From what I can tell, it's just coming from that one area. Car has about 2800 miles on it now. The creaking has something to do with the brake line, or caliper. Any suggestions? Anyone experience a similar thing? Thanks.

P.S. The best way I can describe the creak sound is this: imagine walking on an old wood floor, and you step on a loose board and it creaks. That's pretty much what this noise reminds me off.

Last edited by amstel78; Jun 24, 2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:30 PM

the same thing happen to me except it was a loud squeek at low speeds, they told me it was normal for the brembos to make squeek noises, but in your case i would take it to the dealer and make them fix it!! its probably excess brake dust or something!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Well, just got back from Mitsu. Ended up being the brake pad shims. When the caliper heats up, the shims warp, and the piston makes uneven contact with it. Anyway, got it replaced under warranty.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Why was this thread moved here? The least you could do mods is move it to the brakes/handling section.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was moved b/c it has been asked before (hence to the FAQ section). The creaking is the pads groaning as they shift on the rotor. The pads can float on the pins and move even when stationary.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
it was moved b/c it has been asked before (hence to the FAQ section). The creaking is the pads groaning as they shift on the rotor. The pads can float on the pins and move even when stationary.
It wasn't the pads.

It turned out to be a bent pad shim. The creaking only occured when the rotors and calipers became hot. The heat caused the shim to expand at a crooked angle, not letting the piston make even contact.

Again, this wasn't something I found through the usual threads of "hey, my brakes are squeeling".. etc. This is not a typical brake sound expected from Brembo's... and I've used Alcon's and Brembo's in the past.