Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Atx Introduction, LY VIII Pics

Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atx Introduction, LY VIII Pics

Hi everyone. For my first post, I wanted to share pics and info about my new VIII. I've been reading for the last month while searching for the right car, and now I speak up.

I know you want the pics first, so:

Complete with carbon fiber hood and wing. I was unsure of the yellow when I saw the ad on autotrader, but after seeing it in person, I quickly realized it was freakin sweet. Here it is with my other cars in view:

Yes, that's a 2008 Kia Rio5 with a Mary Kay sticker (wife's) and a 1991 GMC Sierra 1500 (mine since I was 15. I'm 25 now). The truck and kia were parked where they are before the evo was, attributing to my 1337 dr1v1ng skillz. On a related note, that was my twin brother who stalled it three times yesterday, not me, I swear.

You'll also notice the American Dream (TM) in that photo: 3 cars, 2 drivers, 1 cup, and the always-handy car in the driveway. At least the garage isn't full of useless crap.

Before you say it, yes, I bought a modded evo as my first evo. I would have liked to take the myriad of advice to buy a stock evo, but those seem to be even more rare than the customized ones. It's funny how, with the best enthusiast cars, the truly unique ones are the completely stock ones. Go figure.

Anyway, the autotrader ad had a nice list of parts that had been replaced right before sale with "brand new" parts, including:
- brakes
- clutch
- trans seal
- headers
- blow out valve
- and more!

As I said earlier, I've been reading these forums for a little while, so let me take my best guess at what was, at one point, modified from stock:
- brakes
- clutch
- trans seal
- headers
- blow out valve
- and more!

Dangit! Too much text, not enough pics..

Aaahhhhh, much better.

As hinted earlier, I still suck at driving it. If anyone in the ATX area would be so kind as to observe my leet driving skillz, and give me a few pointers, I'd much appreciate it. I'd also like to know what this stuff does:

The thingy by the tach appears to have something to do with O2 and displays pretty numbers on an LCD. The thingy by the radio appears to tell me the max throttle and RPM level I've pushed the car to since turning it on. While in my possession, the numbers haven't gone over 100.0 and 6988, respectively. Before you complain, as a University-educated Electrical Engineer, I can say with authority that "thingy" is in fact a highly technical -- although ambiguously broad -- term.

Also useful information would be advice on a more scenic drive home. I currently am stuck doing this:

... which as anyone from cedar park/leander can attest to, is crap for about 8 miles. My drive to my previous job was much more enjoyable, but unfortunately I didn't yet have an evo, and was stuck with the truck:

As you can see with the river in the mix, and the avoidance of major highways, this was a much nicer, just-keep-driving, no stop-and-go, route. I don't think there's much I can do now, other than going out of my way to recapture that route, but it's worth asking.

Before purchasing my evo, I talked to a friend who has a WRX. He claimed evo ~= wrx, wrx sti > evo, and that I should drive both. I would have, if there were any for sale, but after a while, I decided after driving the evo I eventually bought, that the evo was frikkin awesome, and his comparison was probably crap. And why would I want a car that looks like a rhino anyway? The only person who should be allowed to operate a mechanical rhino is Ace Ventura, and even he should be required to retain underwear at all times.

However, as a tribute to my friend's advice, I give you this picture of his subaru suffering diarrhea:

His caption: Fireworks just for my car courtesy of [redacted]. Que [sic] red carpet and motherf***ing trumpets dawg I be ballin'.

Confession: I actually like the pic. I just wouldn't pick that car.

And I'm far from convinced that a Sexually Transmitted Infection comes close to the awesomeness of my new EVO.

I say "new", it's a 2003 VIII, but it's new to me. According to the dealer, the previous owner (military guy from Killeen) traded it in for a 2008 evo X. Oh and by the way, they're having a sale on 2008 evo X's for "up to" $12k off sticker (read: after qualifying for 9 discounts). Tempted by the offer, and with the okay form the wife, I decided to test drive one. New car, warranty, etc, seemed worth the extra cost. To be kind, I was underwhelmed. First, my fat 270lb a** was squeezed uncomfortably by the seat. Second, putting the seat back far enough for 6'5" me left the steering wheel oddly far away. It was as if the cockpit was made for a 5'6" 150lb shorty. To be fair, I didn't really push it during the test drive, but it just drove like a fairy. Not to mention that the nose of an X looks like the car's about to start gobbling down kelp. Yes, yes, I know that all of these things can be modded/fixed, but I wasn't about to spend almost $30k on a car just to spend another $2k+ to make it usable.

Overall I'm quite happy with the car, pictured here:

It looks freakin sweet, sounds awesome, and is a joy to drive. In short, it's the car I've been wanting for a long time, and was finally able to get. And, it'll be able to handle the baby I have coming in August. It does everything I want, and I wouldn't have anything else.

A final interesting note, it came equipped with a nice decal below the rear license plate:

To the previous owner: If you're reading this, and can help me with the one complaint I have about the car, could you tell me how exactly, with a decent receiver and speaker set, you made the stereo system sound like such *****?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Hey man. Welcome...The car looks great so far. You need to get a front lip on there to complete the look. Looks like the 2 items you circled in the pic are a turbo timer on the steering column, and what looks like an Apexi S-AFC fuel controller or something like that.

Let me know if you want to meet up or something, I can help you learn how to drive her and probably identify most of the parts on it. Or if you need help with working on it, I'm not too far.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Nice Evo. Good luck with it. Keep up with the maintainence and i'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. ...not sure I would include a google map with the location of your house. Evos are one of the most commonly stollen vehicles (relative to the number sold).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by snowmants
...not sure I would include a google map with the location of your house. Evos are one of the most commonly stollen vehicles (relative to the number sold).
Good point. The map I posted is to a location near my house, (within a mile or two), not my actual house. And I keep it in the garage.

The car I don't keep in the garage? 1991 GMC Sierra, Texas's most stolen vehicle. On my watch, break-in count: 2. Stolen once. Recovered two blocks away, next to the police station . Not pictured: steering wheel lock, used frequently.

Something that does worry me is that nice carbon fiber hood doesn't actually lock down. Anyone could just walk up to it, pull the two pins, and open it up. That's something I'm going to look into fixing, even if it is just something as cheezy as putting locks rather than pins on there. I hate to do that though, because they can just be cut with bolt cutters.

JakeTheVIII: Thanks, I will definitely take you up on that.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Any reason you don't just take 2222 to Bullick Hollow and Volente home? If you're in no hurry to get home and just want to have fun in the EVO, I'd hang a left there instead of right and take it down to Lime Creek and take that to 1431 (via really Anderson Mill Rd).
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Enjoyed reading your post. Welcome.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha the one on the left is the Apexi turbo timer =] it keeps your car running a few mins after you take the key out of the ignition, i have the same one but in black =]
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:44 AM

Glad you enjoyed the post, FJF, and thanks!

Originally Posted by atxMR
Any reason you don't just take 2222 to Bullick Hollow and Volente home? If you're in no hurry to get home and just want to have fun in the EVO, I'd hang a left there instead of right and take it down to Lime Creek and take that to 1431 (via really Anderson Mill Rd).
its mainly getting from burnet/183 area to 2222. I'm under the impression that 2222 sucks around 360. In fact, 360 just sucks anyway. I might try that though, mopac -> 2222 -> Lime Creek. Will take longer but as you said, will be more fun. Thanks for advice!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:45 PM

Took this approximate drive home:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=12

Most enjoyment I've had on a drive home, and a nice Master of Puppets soundtrack to boot (amazing what 200W of bass can do to a sound system). Google says 61 minutes, I say 50 (with traffic on mopac and 2222). Almost exactly enough to enjoy the whole album, and plenty enough to enjoy the ride. ymmv
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on your new VIII. Hopefully I achieve a similar story to yours in the near future, upgrading from a 130hp civic to a monster!