Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.

Sorry hardcore-types, but here is another "Should I buy and STi or Evo?" thread.
I'm sure they got old about 6 years ago, but I have such limited experience with both cars I am trying to find the best one that suits MY needs because I plan on having this car for a long time. So: Sell me on an STi/Evo based on my needs and wants.

Background: I can afford either brand new. I only desire a 04-05 STi or Evo VIII/IX. Reason for 04-05-only STi is the diffuser thing on the back glass. Either car will lose the big wing. STi will go to Limited wing, Evo to Mine's-style.

I know the Evo supposedly makes more power per mod and stands up better to high HP levels, but I am looking for 300-340whp MAX. This will be a daily-driven street car.

Either car will likely get black or bronze RPF1-or-similar wheels, wearing ~255mm tires. Both will be driven in all conditions, including the 2-4" snow we get here 2x-3x a year. During heavier snow my wife and I will share her SUV if needed.

I've wanted both cars since I went from middle-school-Lambo-lust to grown-up sensibility. I usually picture STi's in dirt/snow, near factory ride height, debris coming off the mudflaps. I usually picture Evos in time-attack trim.

Here are the advantages of how each car meets my needs as I see them now.

Dry street, Advantage: Evo. I know I would effectively build a "street-attack" car with the Evo. Do-luck lip and no fender gap.
Rain/Snow/Dirt, Advantage: STi. Probably only change the springs/sways on the STi to slightly lower and reduce body roll.
Rear passenger room, Advantage: Evo. Roomy even for 6" in front and 6" in back, but never sat in the back of and STi.*
Trunk space, Advantage: Evo. Never seen the inside of an STi trunk, but I've heard the Evo's is bigger?
Ground clearance, Advantage: Sti. Evo will be lowered, probably too stiff to enjoy, and have a low front lip.
Wheel/Tire, Advantage: Tie. As mentioned, I'll be rocking ~255, both should fit easily.
Appearance, Advantage: Tie. I like both for different reasons.
Short block replacement price, Advantage: Evo. From what I have read, STi unit is $2500, Evo is $2000?
Lighting, Advantage: STi. I like the stock lights of the 04-05. JDM MR lights are like $2K+ for Evos. I dislike the look of the chrome.
Transmission, Advantage: STi? STi 6-speeds and Evo 5-speeds are said to be stronger than their WRX 5spd/EVOMR 6spd counterparts. But I could end up with an MR.
Engine sound, Advantage: STi. Not to mention I would prefer to only use DP/UP with the stock cat-back/turbo-back, whatever.
Community, Advantage: STi. Edges slightly due to the sheer amount of Evo owners that think anything but "hellaflush" is "wack".
Interior, Advantage: STi. Evo felt... well... like a Mitsubishi.
Sunroof, Advantage: STi. Do not want. Do not have to worry about because I'm not getting a Limited.
Red color, Advantage: STi. Doesn't come in red, which is good because I don't want red.
Blue color, Advantage: Evo. 75% of STi's seem to be blue! I prefer White/Black/Silver. Blue STi better be a damn steal. Blue Evo's not for me.
Stealth, Advantage: STi. Dewinged and at ~stock ride height, might as well have a cover on it.
Timeless styling, Advantage: Evo. I'd buy an Evo III tomorrow. While I'd also buy a 22B, Subaru lost some points here when they went from sedan to hatchback-only STi's.

*note: rear seat room is in consideration for a child-seat. I may be expanding my family in the next few years. In the meantime, sometimes we take my car to lunch.

So now that you have read my perceptions on both cars from a non-owner, potential-buyer perspective, please give me your opinion on why I should buy either car, and CERTAINLY correct me if I am wrong on any of these points. In the interest of fairness, I will x-post this on both the STi and Evo forums. I know, I know. I already have my flame-suit on.

--J.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think you will need a flame suit for that post.

For having such limited experience you do have a decent amount of knowledge on both of the cars. With that said it doesn't strike me that either one would be a particular win for you. Like you could probably go both ways and you would be just as happy.

Based on that info I would drive them both and go from there as they drive completely different. It says you're in Raleigh. There might be some guys in that area that would be willing to let you drive there cars. If not we are a little over 2 hours away and I would be willing to let you drive my 480whp Evo. And I think I might be able to get my buddy to let you drive his 380whp STi. Just for comparison's sake.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Of course I'm an Evo fan, but will say I thoroughly enjoy STi's. Better DD IMO.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Based on the comments and their breakdown, I'd suggest a STi. Good luck.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as reading your HP wants, it is a lot easier to reach the 350hp range in an evo with very little mods compared to an STI. Plus the Suby engines confuse the hell outta me, evo engine is all nice and parts easily visible. LOL
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:01 AM
Account Disabled

well all I can say is the STI is a nicer daily driver. For a family in the making the STI is a more comfortable ride. My evo makes more sounds than any car I have ever owned. And its supposed to lol.

since it appears to be a toss up, my suggestion would be to NOT get an 04 sti but at minimum an 05 due to interior. the evo in 05 at least had an MR which is better for daily driving.

Finally get whichever car has LESS miles for LESS money at this point. I wouldnt get into one of these cars with over 65,000 miles, unless you are mechanically inclined and dont mind spending some money for regular maintenance.

best of luck
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

so your going on to evolutionm.net to ask whether you should buy a evo or a sti ? WOW .. well rocket scientist what do you think ...

To help a little .. the 4g63 evo 1-9 is prob one of the best motors around (iron block / alu head vs all alu) .. Sti seem to blow up just trying to make 350hp i have seen . Now i cant say one is better than the other but only based on opinion . I prefer an evolution . There are weak link in a evo , mostly i would say transmission / tcase area .
On to the sti i would prefer to drive that every day as a DD .. at least until the warranty runs out .. just something about Subaru and the cast pistons from the factory i dont find great . Now a good thing i hear is the transmission in a sti isnt as weak as a evo .
finding a tuner for a evo shouldn't be that bad , now finding someone who says that can tune a sti might be a hard one ..
Mostly going to come down to personal preference ... I DD my evo and go 50psi and it still in one piece (built motor) , could a subaru say the same..
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I don't think you will need a flame suit for that post.

For having such limited experience you do have a decent amount of knowledge on both of the cars. With that said it doesn't strike me that either one would be a particular win for you. Like you could probably go both ways and you would be just as happy.

Based on that info I would drive them both and go from there as they drive completely different. It says you're in Raleigh. There might be some guys in that area that would be willing to let you drive there cars. If not we are a little over 2 hours away and I would be willing to let you drive my 480whp Evo. And I think I might be able to get my buddy to let you drive his 380whp STi. Just for comparison's sake.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Of course I'm an Evo fan, but will say I thoroughly enjoy STi's. Better DD IMO.
Haha. Thanks for the generous offer! But I'm sure driving a 480hp Evo will do nothing but put stars in my eyes.

And you're right, both cars suit me for different reasons. What do you think makes the STi a better DD? The rawness of an Evo?

Originally Posted by FJF
Based on the comments and their breakdown, I'd suggest a STi. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll need it! What comments stood out as an STi filling that need better?

Originally Posted by PDCC_EVO
As far as reading your HP wants, it is a lot easier to reach the 350hp range in an evo with very little mods compared to an STI. Plus the Suby engines confuse the hell outta me, evo engine is all nice and parts easily visible. LOL
Yeah, I see this. I've never owned anything like a boxer engine so I would be going into it blind with nothing to help but forum DIY's for small repairs. With modest hp goals, I don't think I'll need more than bolt-ons, so should be easy enough. The problem I have with Evo mods is every one I have seen has what looks to be a 5" exhaust tip at a pretty big angle. It's kind of a turnoff appearance-wise.

Originally Posted by nomoreevo9
well all I can say is the STI is a nicer daily driver. For a family in the making the STI is a more comfortable ride. My evo makes more sounds than any car I have ever owned. And its supposed to lol.

since it appears to be a toss up, my suggestion would be to NOT get an 04 sti but at minimum an 05 due to interior. the evo in 05 at least had an MR which is better for daily driving.

Finally get whichever car has LESS miles for LESS money at this point. I wouldnt get into one of these cars with over 65,000 miles, unless you are mechanically inclined and dont mind spending some money for regular maintenance. I drive a 330i ZHP so I am looking forward to Subaru/Mitsubishi maintenance costs.

best of luck
your miles vs. money advice is appreciated. I've considered that, and 60k is where I'm setting a soft limit. Above that and it needs to be one owner, few mods and with complete records. And I'm definitely looking for an 05 STi over an 04, but for the right deal... There are always exceptions.

Originally Posted by Highboost26
so your going on to evolutionm.net to ask whether you should buy a evo or a sti ? WOW .. well rocket scientist what do you think ...

To help a little .. the 4g63 evo 1-9 is prob one of the best motors around (iron block / alu head vs all alu) .. Sti seem to blow up just trying to make 350hp i have seen . Now i cant say one is better than the other but only based on opinion . I prefer an evolution . There are weak link in a evo , mostly i would say transmission / tcase area .
On to the sti i would prefer to drive that every day as a DD .. at least until the warranty runs out .. just something about Subaru and the cast pistons from the factory i dont find great . Now a good thing i hear is the transmission in a sti isnt as weak as a evo .
finding a tuner for a evo shouldn't be that bad , now finding someone who says that can tune a sti might be a hard one ..
Mostly going to come down to personal preference ... I DD my evo and go 50psi and it still in one piece (built motor) , could a subaru say the same..
Heh, I posted this on here as well as two of the main STi forums. I want to hear from people who live with these cars daily. I'm not sure there are tuners for either here in Raleigh... It seems to be more of a VW/Euro crowd. And I'm definitely not planning on running 25psi, much less 50. Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping that with modest hp goals I won't have to worry about reliability with either car.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

you seem to nearly have it all down and from that i would recomend the sti.
but just you know you have a few things wrong. the biggest one is the community. no, most evo owners dont give a **** about hellaflush. and also, have you ever been to a subaru meet? glasses and virgins bro. that alone is a good reason to get an evo for that people that are around you.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Having come from the Subaru world first with a stage 2+ WRX, I can say with absolute confidence that if you're looking for a DD first and foremost, grab an STi. Just don't go with an obnoxious exhaust or you'll hate it. (Cobb's exhaust is just right)

With that said, if you're serious about doing 350 HP, Evos can land that on a stock turbo in most cases, however, unless you plan on running E85 exclusively, STi's will need a turbo upgrade to do so reliably. STi's can do gobbs of torque though. So in the end, if you want a 350HP daily driver you'll dump more money into the STi to do so reliably, but it will be a softer, more usable, more comfortable ride. As for mileage, my WRX had 80k on it and I had been running stage 2+ for 40k miles of autoXing and HPDE days, never ever ever had any issues with it. If you take care of either motor they should last. If you build either motor with cheap ebay/chinese knockoff ****, well, you get what you pay for.

Now if you should decide to take your ride and start racing it seriously, you'll automatically be at a disadvantage. Evos handle that much better.

Either way, AWD and turbos are ridiculously addictive. And hellaflush is hellagay.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same delimma when i was looking at both cars. what boiled down was which responded easier to mods. hands down the evo wins. i've worked on a few of my buddy's subies and damn it sucked. i come from a dsm background so mitsu was for me. good luck.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

You say 350whp, BUT are you sure thats it??? Power is addiciting, once you get used to 350, then you going to want 400, then 450 and so on....It comes down to this: The bads.

STI=strut noises, oil burning, cast internal, bad design of oil pump leading to starvation of cyl 4 leading to FAIL, uncomfortable seats, oversteer like crazy, american spec design engine (because the one in japan for STI's is 2.0).

Evo= cheap interior, fwd based car so it has a tcase, which tends to go IF you dont know how to drive and making over 500 whp. transmission can be weak if not maintained or driven properly (def not a glass transmission), but at 350 whp you will be fine. fading brembo color.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

On my sig I have the dyno result on stock turbo. Had My car for over five years no issues what so ever. It took Me a long time to make My a choice, I read both forums to see which cars would cost the least when Im ready to upgrade. The evo made sense to me plus I got lucky on the price for my car. At the end of the day its really up to you which car you want, Your the one that will either determine if you made the right choice or not. One last thing you will find the evo community is much nicer community than the subie community. lol
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01

STI=strut noises, oil burning, cast internal, bad design of oil pump leading to starvation of cyl 4 leading to FAIL, uncomfortable seats, oversteer like crazy, american spec design engine (because the one in japan for STI's is 2.0).
I would agree and disagree on some of those points. I like the STi seats just as much as the Evo's, though I wish the Evo had more of a side bolster, and if you went with an 06 STi you'd find it more reliable with probably less miles. Plus they just look better in the Hawkeye years. Also, both cars naturally understeer, but the STi has the motor placed over the front wheels retardedly, so the understeer is much more pronounced. Both cars can overcome this with the right mods, but it's easier to do so with the Evo.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the OP, I see you're in NC.

Check out this site, they sell ALOT of EVOs and STIs to the NC/SC/VA area.

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/

If it were my decision, I would be ready to buy, and go down to that shop and ask for a test drive on a STI you're interested in and conversely an EVO you're interested in. That should give you a good feel of what you want since you already have a good idea on the differences between the two cars.

Hope this helps your decision process.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
you seem to nearly have it all down and from that i would recomend the sti.
but just you know you have a few things wrong. the biggest one is the community. no, most evo owners dont give a **** about hellaflush. and also, have you ever been to a subaru meet? glasses and virgins bro. that alone is a good reason to get an evo for that people that are around you.
Lol. Very nicely stated. I'm anxious to people-watch at meets now regardless of what car I buy!

Thanks for clearing up my misconception about the community. I just got very annoyed going through most of the ultimate aggressive wheel thread. A lot of people in there calling "weaksauce" on some damn nice cars.

Originally Posted by Vehicle336
Having come from the Subaru world first with a stage 2+ WRX, I can say with absolute confidence that if you're looking for a DD first and foremost, grab an STi. Just don't go with an obnoxious exhaust or you'll hate it. (Cobb's exhaust is just right)

With that said, if you're serious about doing 350 HP, Evos can land that on a stock turbo in most cases, however, unless you plan on running E85 exclusively, STi's will need a turbo upgrade to do so reliably. STi's can do gobbs of torque though. So in the end, if you want a 350HP daily driver you'll dump more money into the STi to do so reliably, but it will be a softer, more usable, more comfortable ride. As for mileage, my WRX had 80k on it and I had been running stage 2+ for 40k miles of autoXing and HPDE days, never ever ever had any issues with it. If you take care of either motor they should last. If you build either motor with cheap ebay/chinese knockoff ****, well, you get what you pay for.

Now if you should decide to take your ride and start racing it seriously, you'll automatically be at a disadvantage. Evos handle that much better.

Either way, AWD and turbos are ridiculously addictive. And hellaflush is hellagay.
Wow, good post. I like the sound of the STi for the better DD, but when you say: Evos handle that much better, I like the sound of the Evo.

Not running E85. So it may come down to a 310whp STi vs. a 340whp Evo. Either way is enough power for me.

Originally Posted by whitedsm97
i had the same delimma when i was looking at both cars. what boiled down was which responded easier to mods. hands down the evo wins. i've worked on a few of my buddy's subies and damn it sucked. i come from a dsm background so mitsu was for me. good luck.
Thanks for the input. While my installs will be bolt-ons, I take notice when someone says working on a certain type of car sucks. I'm not into pissing myself off during a simple part-swap if something goes out.

You say 350whp, BUT are you sure thats it??? Power is addiciting, once you get used to 350, then you going to want 400, then 450 and so on....
I'm sure. I've taken off a supercharger on a car I owned because I felt the power was overkill for my street needs. The hp increases will be limited to those that can be done cheaply, easily, and without much impact to reliability.

It comes down to this: The bads.

Evo= cheap interior, fwd based car so it has a tcase, which tends to go IF you dont know how to drive and making over 500 whp. transmission can be weak if not maintained or driven properly (def not a glass transmission), but at 350 whp you will be fine. fading brembo color.
STi=first I've heard of strut noises and bad oil pump design starving the engine. I will search, thanks.

Evo=what causes the fading brembo color? Heat indicating signs of abuse or just poor finish quality or what? The interior was VERY cheap of the 03 I looked at. Any issues out of the transfer case if kept under 500hp?

Originally Posted by hmsevo9mr
On my sig I have the dyno result on stock turbo. Had My car for over five years no issues what so ever. It took Me a long time to make My a choice, I read both forums to see which cars would cost the least when Im ready to upgrade. The evo made sense to me plus I got lucky on the price for my car. At the end of the day its really up to you which car you want, Your the one that will either determine if you made the right choice or not. One last thing you will find the evo community is much nicer community than the subie community. lol
Hah. Thanks for the input. I will definitely always be on the stock turbo unless it fails and there is one out there that performs better, bolts on, and reduces lag. I'm not at all interested in peak numbers, just wider powerbands.

Getting lucky on the price will definitely have a lot to do with it. If I run across a killer deal, I'm going to jump on it regardless of which it is and do my best to tune it to suit. This is not for "fair price" cars, this goes for "steals".

Originally Posted by Vehicle336
I would agree and disagree on some of those points. I like the STi seats just as much as the Evo's, though I wish the Evo had more of a side bolster, and if you went with an 06 STi you'd find it more reliable with probably less miles. Plus they just look better in the Hawkeye years. Also, both cars naturally understeer, but the STi has the motor placed over the front wheels retardedly, so the understeer is much more pronounced. Both cars can overcome this with the right mods, but it's easier to do so with the Evo.

Thanks for the input! I like the 05 front clip more than the hawkeye. I thought all that the STi required to mitigate understeer was a rear swaybar... Your thoughts? What does it take on an Evo?

Originally Posted by mx4life85
To the OP, I see you're in NC.

Check out this site, they sell ALOT of EVOs and STIs to the NC/SC/VA area.

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/

If it were my decision, I would be ready to buy, and go down to that shop and ask for a test drive on a STI you're interested in and conversely an EVO you're interested in. That should give you a good feel of what you want since you already have a good idea on the differences between the two cars.

Hope this helps your decision process.
Holy HELLpful post! I will be sure to check out the site for that dealer and get over there, hopefully to drive these cars back-to-back. I'm ready to buy right now, and almost had a black Evo VIII yesterday. I was on the fence about it because it had a sunroof and a cracked headlight. I'm going to the site now.

Edit: Maybe not as helpful as I thought. I hope they are into negotiating...

Last edited by FERNO; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.