Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Main things to look for when buying an evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main things to look for when buying an evo 8/9?

Ive been looking at evo 8's for awhile but cant find any that im comfortable with buying, since most evo 8s in my area have over 60k miles, and most dealerships dont know if the 60k maintenance was done or not.

Lets say i get an evo 8 with 70k miles on it, for.. $14k. If the 60k maintenance wasnt done, how could i tell? When i do buy an evo, my main goal will be to have an evo that wont give me that much grief, my plan is to get an evo 8, with under 100k miles on it and get the belts, fluids, plugs, pumps..etc changed right away. What else should i look for? im scared im going to buy an evo and there will be a bigger problem than just needing a new timing belt, like a t-case problem or clutch problem.

Im aware theres tons of threads telling people what to look out for, but i also wanted to know replacing a transfer case general runs? parts and labor? because i have a mindset that any evo i get will bound to have problems

help me out if you know much replacing all the belts/ fluids/ plugs...etc will be, and what are other big problems i could run into, and how to avoid them, and if i cant, how much are they to replace/ fix. /

Thanks guys
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is really no 100% way to tell if the 60k service was done or not unless they have a receipt.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:54 PM

that actually helps^, would a dealership general have that? could i look it up through a background check/ carfax?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubt you could find it on a carfax. if it was done at a dealer recently it should still be on file i would think or they would atleast keep the receipt for such work. hell i keep the receipts and write the mileage down when i do my own oil changes.

if you do a 60k service yoursefl parts should be no more than $500 if that. at a dealer be ready to pay between 1k and $1500

transfer case around the same dealer cost maybe a little more. if you suspect anything wrong with the transfer case i would steer clear.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by awdordie
doubt you could find it on a carfax. if it was done at a dealer recently it should still be on file i would think or they would atleast keep the receipt for such work. hell i keep the receipts and write the mileage down when i do my own oil changes.

if you do a 60k service yoursefl parts should be no more than $500 if that. at a dealer be ready to pay between 1k and $1500

transfer case around the same dealer cost maybe a little more. if you suspect anything wrong with the transfer case i would steer clear.
thanks
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:44 PM

what kind of tests should i get on the car before i buy it? all i can remember is a compression test? where can i get that done and how much does that generally run
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:23 AM

I am looking for an EVO IX. I called the local performance shop around here that works on EVO's and they said they would do a compression test, boost leak test, check for any exhaust leaks, check all hangers, check fluids, etc. They said its about a 2-3 hours of labor, so a little under 300 dollars. He said many times private party sales will be looked over there to reduce buyer risk.

Good luck hope to be putting up a "just got an evo" thread here soon.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 01:55 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nickraft14

Lets say i get an evo 8 with 70k miles on it, for.. $14k. If the 60k maintenance wasnt done, how could i tell? When i do buy an evo, my main goal will be to have an evo that wont give me that much grief, my plan is to get an evo 8, with under 100k miles on it and get the belts, fluids, plugs, pumps..etc changed right away. What else should i look for? im scared im going to buy an evo and there will be a bigger problem than just needing a new timing belt, like a t-case problem or clutch problem.
You have two choices: Increase your budget to afford a great car from the start or look for something else. I know this isn't what you want to hear. The odds of finding a reliable Evolution for $14K are very slim. Good luck.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

It certainly is tough to be sure, you can always listen for the whine of the transfer case for one. Always check the oil for color to ensure bearings are solid and if you can even just push down on the belt to check play that might save you a headache. If it is too loose could have been a while since it was serviced.

Just thinking out loud.... good luck.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks all of you, Deffinitly helps me
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring a friend who knows cars mechanically very well and is experienced with purchasing evo's if possible. I helped my friend with his s2k purchase since I am very knowledgeable about the car.