Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Best DD EVO 9 vs 09 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best DD EVO 9 vs 09 Ralliart

Hi Ive been browsing here for awhile and its time to get a real car I want a quick/fast Daily Driver to have some fun with friends on the weekends and to drive to work(22miles) I will most likely leave the cars fairly stock cause I want reliability of course. So whats my best bet?

Thanks, Miguel
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 AM

The EVO 9 will easily be the faster/quicker option of the two. Not to mention the most head turning. You have to keep in mind though the 9 is going to have a much more "raw" feeling than the RalliArt meaning that it won't be nearly as comfortable to daily drive. They are noisy, even with the stock exhaust (lots of road/wind noise) and have lots of drivetrain noise. On top of that the stock suspension can feel a bit harsh if you're not used to driving sporty cars. I'd drive them both to see which one you prefer. Both should be reliable if you're keeping them roughly stock just don't launch from every red light and keep up with fluid changes. For what it's worth mine has been modded almost the entire time I've owned it and aside from normal wear and tear items like the clutch and brakes it's been rock solid.. even with cams and 25+ lbs of boost. Gas mileage might be a factor as well. If you granny the car you can probably see 20-21 mpg average but that's the best case scenario.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the response, I think I'm just gonna save some more money buy something cheaper for now like a cobalt ss and then move on to an X in a few years
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:58 AM

O btw I'm an 18 year old machinist (cnc lathe operator) so I make decent money but for 5 yrs I rather get something cheaper
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:44 PM

Well DD shouldn't really mean Daily Driver in my opinion, it should really mean Dedicated Driver.. because it'll take some dedication to maintain BOTH cars. Yes as mentioned previously an Evo IX will be a head turner, hell any EVO if that that's clean looking. Remember one uses high oct and the other doesn't. MPG will vary on both cars yet you can't beat the Evo's AWD.. hands down its awesome to have an AWD car thus including a CRUISE lol

Besides, what's your budget? Both cars vary on range of money, so with all of that being said this should hopefully give you a good idea. OR maybe you've already made your choice coming to the EVOforums hmm lol
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:21 PM

I am getting something cheaper since this will be my first manual car I rather beat the crap out of a cobalt then a beloved Evo and so I can gain more knowledge overall so Ill be more ready for an evo in like ~3 years
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mac3194
I am getting something cheaper since this will be my first manual car I rather beat the crap out of a cobalt then a beloved Evo and so I can gain more knowledge overall so Ill be more ready for an evo in like ~3 years
If you're getting a turbo ss its almost 300hp also so its not like its any less difficult to start on. If you get a super charged one they're significantly slower at around 200hp.

I think you should get yourself a OZ rally lacer or a GST. If you wanna stay Mitsubishi.

Btw the evo really does lack a lot of comforts for daily driving. I barely drive mine. Gas millage sucks, long trips suck, tons of issues. A GST is the turbo fun, sexy coupeness and much more comfortable. Just vastly weaker stock.

Last edited by Clessy; Aug 22, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:06 PM

Evo 9 = Track oriented, not very comfortable, loud inside, pretty hard to find a clean stock one. But faster, more fun to drive, and a definite head turner.

Ralliart = Newer, more comfortable, more amenities, quieter inside, not as much drive train noise. But heavier, slower, doesn't give you the feel behind the wheel of a 9.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a weekend warrior as well as a car you can drive everyday...definitely the 9. Plus the 9 just looks better
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:08 PM

I'm gonna get a 06-07 supercharged one for now and I'm definitely gonna get an Evo as my next car X GSR
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:52 PM

After some thorough research and thinking i came to the point that I need AWD(Chicago weather=a lot of snow lol) So let me rephrase my question since i don't want to spend more than 14-16k whats best, Evo 8 with less than 100k or a 09 ralliart as a DD thats kinda fast with a few mods? I am friends with a guy that owns a used car dealership and he can get me practically whatever car i want at the dealer only auctions with a discounted commission i need to decide soon though, So here are my concerns since I want the most reliable what are the cons from both cars which cost the most to maintain or repair if something does go wrong?

Thanks, Miguel
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:18 AM

Is the trans a big problem on the ralliart??
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

If you are learning to drive manual then get the ralliart. Also, the ralliart will last you longer. they are quick enough and can get you learning about turbos/trannys, etc so that when the time comes, you will know for your X
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't buy an evo 8/9 in chicagoland unless you want it stolen from under you nose.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by xTiCkxMYxLaInTx
If you are learning to drive manual then get the ralliart. Also, the ralliart will last you longer. they are quick enough and can get you learning about turbos/trannys, etc so that when the time comes, you will know for your X
Thanks for the great advice I'm currently trying to get a ralliart, hopefully I'll have one by next week.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Goodluck! Hope you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Best DD EVO 9 vs 09 Ralliart