Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hey guys, advice needed here!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, advice needed here!

Alright guys, my name is Cody and im in the market for an evo, kinda, sorta, maybe... im 17 years old and i actively participate in autocross and track days with my father in my '92 Miata. over the past year of being able to drive ive had an '03 Nissan Maxima, a Nissan z32 twin turbo and my '92 miata. another car that my dad and i have been working on for about 3 years now is our 1970 Volkswagen Microbus. i love cars and the idea of going fast, every since i got rid of the z32 i miss the boost and that is what i want back. ive been doing my research and an evo 8 is what i want, preferably '05. so with that being said, i need help convincing my dad that it is worth the money and better than a miata. im willing to get rid of the bus and the miata, that takes care of the initial financial issues. but insurance and maintenance is what he and i are worried about. i pay for all mechanical and cosmetic improvements at the moment. at the job i work i can make around 300 dollars in two weeks. which im assuming is going to be all put into the evo. so with all that being said, i need to convince him!

by the way here are all my rides except the maxima, that thing was gay and stock
Hey guys, advice needed here!-img_1865.jpg

Hey guys, advice needed here!-img_0730.jpg

Hey guys, advice needed here!-gopr2778.jpg

Hey guys, advice needed here!-pc011437.jpg

Hey guys, advice needed here!-img_1866.jpg
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

you make $600 a month? Believe me man I was in the same boat as you when I was in high school and dreaming big, but chose the responsible path and bought a low maintenance/cost car. If your miata runs good, keep her until you get out of school and get a solid job.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 406EVO
you make $600 a month? Believe me man I was in the same boat as you when I was in high school and dreaming big, but chose the responsible path and bought a low maintenance/cost car. If your miata runs good, keep her until you get out of school and get a solid job.
Thanks for your input, I understand the responsible path would be to keep the miata and use it as my daily/track/autoX car. But I am just objected to the fact that all the evos including the stock ones are faster than the miatas around the track, plain and simple. I can get my father to agree on me paying the difference in insurance from the miata to the evo. He knows I am a safe and responsible driver on the open streets as well.

But you don't think 600 dollars a month is enough to maintain a stock Evo?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Codersozer
Thanks for your input, I understand the responsible path would be to keep the miata and use it as my daily/track/autoX car. But I am just objected to the fact that all the evos including the stock ones are faster than the miatas around the track, plain and simple. I can get my father to agree on me paying the difference in insurance from the miata to the evo. He knows I am a safe and responsible driver on the open streets as well.

But you don't think 600 dollars a month is enough to maintain a stock Evo?
Personally, I spend almost $500/month just on gas for my X... but it's my DD and I have a 80 mile round trip commute.

If you're not driving a crazy amount and you can do basic maintenance yourself, I think $600 would be doable.

Then again, the "adult" in me says to wait and save your money for now until you're financially stable on your own and can afford it yourself.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:32 AM

I wouldnt get an evo yet..you have to think about it this way..no matter what used car you buy you'll never have that safety net of buying a brand new car with warranty..you'll never know what will go wrong with the used evo because is used..evos get beaten on like how they're meant to..and on a budget of $600/month i think its not enough yet..gas plus insurance will probably be more than $600 already..but if you really want one go for it..check the evo from the inside out..you'll be happy with one no doubt
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:30 AM

Just curious, what is the minimum budget per month for a stock evo, 1k including gas and insurance? This doesn't include tires for track/autoX and what not.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK well assuming you buy the car outright with no monthly payment...you can put the insurance in your dads name and put you on it as a secondary driver it should cost him under $100/mo.....how much you drive it will play a huge role in the $ aspect of it. Do you drive to school every day and how far is it? Either way you should expect no less than $500/mo of expenditures... is that something you can/want to handle?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by ogrenator
OK well assuming you buy the car outright with no monthly payment...you can put the insurance in your dads name and put you on it as a secondary driver it should cost him under $100/mo.....how much you drive it will play a huge role in the $ aspect of it. Do you drive to school every day and how far is it? Either way you should expect no less than $500/mo of expenditures... is that something you can/want to handle?
I can easily manage $500 a month, school is not even 2 miles from home. and i work 5 miles from home. and i really don't drive when i go our with friends. so i mean maybe 500 miles a month? i figure with a few minor bolt on's, it doesnt seem to be out of the budget for me.

now tracking and Autox may be a different story. lets Say 1 weekend per month for the track, and 3 weekends for autocross. is that a too much on the car for my budget? and for any minor mechanical issues my dad and i are pretty confident we can fix them.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$600 Dollars a month you should be fine to maintain an EVO. The only problem is, once you buy one you will get the bug to slowly mod it. Thats how it always is with these cars lol. But if you really don't Mod it for awhile and just drive it you will be fine. I suggest taking your time while searching. Find a clean one thats not beat and hacked up
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
$600 Dollars a month you should be fine to maintain an EVO. The only problem is, once you buy one you will get the bug to slowly mod it. Thats how it always is with these cars lol. But if you really don't Mod it for awhile and just drive it you will be fine. I suggest taking your time while searching. Find a clean one thats not beat and hacked up
i love this forum you guys have quick great feedback no plans on modding until i have a sufficient fund supports, that went wrong when i bought the 300zx and didnt keep a maintenance budget.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:25 AM

At least you are thinking ahead about having a maintenance budget. Nothing worse than having something break and having no money to fix it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check insurance!!! That will stop you...

A budget of $600 a month? Sorry man, I guess I'm old. I have had guys drop lots of money into cars just to have something come up and they get rid of the car to take care of unexpected bills.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Check insurance!!! That will stop you...

A budget of $600 a month? Sorry man, I guess I'm old. I have had guys drop lots of money into cars just to have something come up and they get rid of the car to take care of unexpected bills.
but in reality what is the percentage of people actually have to drop a ride because of an unexpected anonymous bill? maybe 15%

as for insurance i like the idea of asking my dad to be primary driver and me as secondary. i will have him get a quote for that.