Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Joined the club

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joined the club

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but first time poster.

Finally was able to get the car I have been wanting for a while now and joined the Evo owners. I picked up a 2008 Evo GSR over the weekend. Been loving it so far.

So as a new owner what should I be on the lookout for?

Any maintenance/checks I should have done?

I plan on bringing it in to a Mitsubishi shop to have it looked over but wanted a heads up. I need a few things for it.

• Interior lights not working (bulbs,fuse,etc)
  • Back up lights not working (bulbs, fuse, switch on tranny that completes electrical circuit to turn lights on)
  • Knob missing on navigation system (small joystick thing)
  • Trunk cover that covers battery section is missing.

I am pretty sure previous owner was a family guy as there was chick music and kids music on the hard drive still for the entertainment system and low miles. Figured that was usually a good sign since I know as a dad I try not to beat on my cars.

Keep in mind I knew all this stuff and was ok with it as I got the car WAY below blue book.

I plan to do a few upgrades and not sure where to start on this one. I'm new to Evos and don't know a ton. Was a previous Eclipse (non-turbo) owner and that wasn't half the car this is.

So thank you in advance for any advice you guys can give.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:54 AM

I only had one thing to look out for:

Vacuum Line. They're notorious for popping off on X's. When I first got mine, not too long ago I noticed it was always rough idling at stops. So bad to where I thought the car was going to stall on me. The RPM's were bouncing between 500-2000. It was pretty bad. They usually split easily or pop off. Either way..just keep your eye on it. I know that was my issue. Probably different with other people. But I've also heard the BOV recirc tube could also cause that by popping off.

Hope that helped somewhat
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by arievox
I only had one thing to look out for:

Vacuum Line. They're notorious for popping off on X's. When I first got mine, not too long ago I noticed it was always rough idling at stops. So bad to where I thought the car was going to stall on me. The RPM's were bouncing between 500-2000. It was pretty bad. They usually split easily or pop off. Either way..just keep your eye on it. I know that was my issue. Probably different with other people. But I've also heard the BOV recirc tube could also cause that by popping off.

Hope that helped somewhat
Def thanks. I'll take a look.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:27 AM

heres a picture of the new wheels

Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:57 PM

Brought my car in for a bunch of cosmetic fixes today. Back up lights weren't working and it turned out to be the switch that someone else ran into.

Would have done a lot of this stuff myself but currently working about 70 hours a week now during crunch so this was easier.

Also had them do the 30k or 40k mile maintenance since I don't know how well the guy before me treated it.

Every thing is looking good on it though except the tiny cosmetic things.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:11 PM

Got my car back today after the huge service. Runs great. Man these things are fast.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:42 PM

So looking at exhaust systems. Any advice on where to start? Which one to go with?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats dude! If you see a white RS in Santa Monica...thats me!

Anyway, check out RoadRaceEngineering for mods, tune, service. Great guys and have been doing it forever. RRE and Muellerized are the only shops I go to:

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/
http://www.muellerized.com/
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jessemoody
So looking at exhaust systems. Any advice on where to start? Which one to go with?

I recently just installed my ETS catback this past weekend. Not too loud and not too quiet. Just perfect for me. Personally I prefer ETS due to the fact that they're reputable and more affordable. But I'm sure whichever company you use it'll work great.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:24 PM

And to add on to mods...throw a intake on that beast. You'll hear your turbo spool louder and your BOV. always a nice start.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the forums and best place to get your brain dirty and filled with tons of knowledge. Not an EVO X owner but heck I got an 8 so it's all good yet I'm sure an evolution period I may help out.

Somethings to look for as mentioned previously by Ari are vaccum leaks by far, common areas are the BOV, throttle body and close to the IAC (idle air control valve). Low miles is a good indication, closer to the 60K make sure all the belts and water pump are done. That's how it is for our vehicles so I'm guessing the same for the X's. Lube all the belts up if the vehicle has been sitting outside or does, always a plus there.

Mod wise, start small with bolt ons such as aftermarket BOV, boost controller, fuel pump and etc. Obviously get a tune if you up your boost to get the most out of the increase of lbs gained and definitely get a tune ASAP if you install a fuel pump. Turbo wise depends on your goal, budget and what you want. I can give suggestions on some great turbo's out there at a good price. We do have a for sale thread on the forum so go have a look at it, any questions regarding your X go on google if you aren't sure if the search bar works and just type evom at the end of your question. It should pop up the site and give you other threads that people have posted if the problem is similar to yours.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by EVO'D8
Welcome to the forums and best place to get your brain dirty and filled with tons of knowledge. Not an EVO X owner but heck I got an 8 so it's all good yet I'm sure an evolution period I may help out.

Somethings to look for as mentioned previously by Ari are vaccum leaks by far, common areas are the BOV, throttle body and close to the IAC (idle air control valve). Low miles is a good indication, closer to the 60K make sure all the belts and water pump are done. That's how it is for our vehicles so I'm guessing the same for the X's. Lube all the belts up if the vehicle has been sitting outside or does, always a plus there.

Mod wise, start small with bolt ons such as aftermarket BOV, boost controller, fuel pump and etc. Obviously get a tune if you up your boost to get the most out of the increase of lbs gained and definitely get a tune ASAP if you install a fuel pump. Turbo wise depends on your goal, budget and what you want. I can give suggestions on some great turbo's out there at a good price. We do have a for sale thread on the forum so go have a look at it, any questions regarding your X go on google if you aren't sure if the search bar works and just type evom at the end of your question. It should pop up the site and give you other threads that people have posted if the problem is similar to yours.

Hope this helps!
lol so insightful.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by arievox
lol so insightful.
Lol hush it dork
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:12 AM

So being a huge Star Wars fan, 3d artist, gamer, etc I wanted to get a custom plate for my car.

I live in LA County (Santa Monica,CA) and had applied and paid for my custom plate but then after like 12 weeks got a letter that said it was denied due to using a number in place of a letter.

Plate was going to be

MF4LCON

the 4 actually is tied to my wife and I anniversary date and my sons bday.

The reason they said is they don't want to confuse law enforcement. WHAT? Really? It can be either a 4 or an A 2 possibilities. Pretty sure that wouldn't take long to figure out.

Was this bull**** and if so should I just go into a local DMV? or find something else?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:19 PM

That sucks

Quick Reply: Joined the club