Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

"Oil Change frequency"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Oil Change frequency"

A few weeks ago I posted a concern regarding the inconsistencies between mitsu dealers and the owners manual re: oil change frequency and type of oil to use. I called mitsubishi motors and spoke to a rep who basically quoted what's in the manual.
For the record. Change oil every 3K and use synthetic. May affect the warranty if otherwise.
I appreciate all the feedback that I got. Thanks

gene
ruston, la
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Just out of curiosity, was there a reason why you didn't trust what was in the owners manual to the point where you went out of your way to contact multiple dealerships and eventually Mitsubishi?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:05 AM

Yes, very much so. Our nearest mitsu dealership is 75 miles away and really has not had an evo on their lot in about 5 years or so. I purchased my 14 MR in dallas, Tx which is 250 miles away and is the largest evo dealer in >/< 500 mile radius (don herring mitsubishi). I read the manual first, called dallas dealership to simply ask if I can use a local (certified) outfit here in town assuring them that I would use synthetic. First response by that service mgr is "does not need synthetic" (this was the first doubt that spurred my curiosity). Next, I called the mitsu delaership here in shreveport, la. They said synthetic, I said, good, I'll take it there. Took it there, had it changed and sticker on window showed that next oil change schedule was 5K miles! Again another deviation from the book, so I decided to post it here and got different opinions as well. This is what brought me to call Mitsu motors.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:35 AM

Always go by the owners manual unless there's a TSB from mitsu stating otherwise
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:49 AM

The short answer is that a 3000 mile change interval with a 100% synthetic 10W-30 oil and an OEM filter is absolutely safe for your car.

The long answer is you're going to get different opinions everywhere about motor oil brand, weight, and change intervals.

If you run a high quality synthetic like Amsoil (dealer probably put Mobile 1 in your car - most people around here aren't a huge fan) for example, a 3000 or 5000 interval isn't going to make much of a difference. Especially when your car is new and stock (I'm assuming you want to keep your warranty for awhile). Personally I wouldn't go over 3000 miles using an OEM filter, and my emotional argument regarding all this would be to never go longer than 5k miles for an oil change regardless of what you're using (see link below).

Now all that ^, is my opinion.

All of that said, a 3000 mile change interval is kind of ridiculous with a full synthetic oil. The point of a synthetic oil is that is doesn't break down as quickly as conventional oil. The reason for that is because of how synthetic oil is engineered with large identical molecules that will retain similar flow behavior at high and low temperatures. Basically they have a better viscosity index than conventional oil so they require a smaller amount of "viscosity index improvers," which essentially are a polymer additive that thickens the oil as the temperature increases. Polymer additives undergo a lot of thermal and oxidative degradation, and because of the nature of synthetic oils less of these "improvers" are required, so the oil doesn't break down as quickly. In my mind when using a synthetic oil your biggest limiting factor on change interval is what filter you're using.

Other people will argue other things like to only use high ZDDP oils and do more frequent oil changes (this is what I'd recommend for someone well above stock hp levels). Others will argue to run something like Rotella T3 15-40 (which has detergents, so it can be used for a longer interval) regardless of hp level. But I won't dive into that too much because it's not really what you're asking.

See this thread regarding filter choice:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...63t-4b11t.html

Last edited by wkarl; Nov 14, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

But there's certainly no harm in using those types of intervals.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:46 AM

it's funny you said that "karl". I had an 07 bmw33i prior to my evo. oil change frequency is dictated by driving habits. my avg oil change fell between 15K up to 20K miles! This was so hard to fathom since i would push my bimmer quite hard. Again, I called bmwusa re: this. They informed me that the key was not only in their synthetic oils but more so in their "filters" like you suggested. I personally kinda enjoyed the less frequent oil changes. Though bmw has free maintenance up to 50k miles, it still didnt take as much of my time to get the car serviced (40 miles away).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbud76
A few weeks ago I posted a concern regarding the inconsistencies between mitsu dealers and the owners manual re: oil change frequency and type of oil to use. I called mitsubishi motors and spoke to a rep who basically quoted what's in the manual.
For the record. Change oil every 3K and use synthetic. May affect the warranty if otherwise.
I appreciate all the feedback that I got. Thanks

gene
ruston, la
Mitsubishi corp always gives a bs story so does most of the OEMs, they have to tell you this to protect themselves ,, they are not concerned with the consumer but they are concerned about consumer law suits

You don't have to change at 3k, it depends how you drive the car, type of oil, type of fuel ect...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

They're concerned with frivolous lawsuits from idiots who can't protect themselves from their own stupidity... not saying that that applies to anyone here. But it's part of their procedure, just like flight attendants having to explain to everyone how to put on a seatbelt.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:49 PM

I did the same thing with my nissan. We just want answers right away.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:21 AM

And it gives them a window to void your warranty.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

So follow the owners manual and don't give them a reason to void it.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
So follow the owners manual and don't give them a reason to void it.
Im planning on it. Even bought extended warranty. 6 and 100. 80 bucks a pop.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 07:19 PM

Follow the manual. Save your receipts.