Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thinking about getting an EVO X

Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting an EVO X

Hey guys, long story short, I'm getting a new car soon and I've narrowed my choices to the EVO X and the Mustang 5.0. My main issue in deciding between the two is the long term reliability. Now, I realized that high boost will potentially shorten the life of the EVO's engine, but on the flip side, the new 5.0's are littered with transmission troubles.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the EVO X is because of the, relative, low cost of the bolt on's and HP increases compared to the 5.0's. Granted, the average stock EVO dyno's about 100HP less than the 5.0, but I can easily make up that 100HP and give a stock 5.0 a helluva good run for cheap (from my research). To make an extra 100HP in the Mustang, you're looking at about $3500 and you're maxing out the stock block in the 475HP range and is really the upper limit for N/A.

So, basically I want you to try and talk me out of the 5.0 and into the EVO. And also, I have a few questions.

1. About how much HP can the stock EVO block handle before I start spending the big bucks?

2. I've noticed that the stock plugs on the EVO's are prone to breaking and ruining pistons and, in some cases, the whole engine. Will a simple plug change when I get my car fix this potential issue?

3. Anything I should know about the EVO? Any problems that are well known that I may be unaware of?

4. I've already seen tons of EVO's at or around the 450awhp mark, about how much money will it take to get there?

5. The twin turbo kit for the 5.0's are ~$8500. The upgraded AMS 900XP turbo kit for the EVO is FAR less at about $4800 and looks to be making about the same HP as the Hellion kits for the 5.0 (granted the Hellion kit is running at 5.5 psi). How reliable are the AMS turbo kits? I've heard they're the best, but how reliable is the best running high PSI?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: About what HP should I start thinking about getting bigger injectors?

Last edited by bigmoney890; Jun 19, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks, but I'm not flying 2500mi to buy a car.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You live where it snows. Get the EVO.

Past that I've owned both a 5.0 and an EVO the evo is much more fun overall.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo mustang sucks.!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
You live where it snows. Get the EVO.

Past that I've owned both a 5.0 and an EVO the evo is much more fun overall.
Having an AWD vehicle in the snow is definitely a big plus for the EVO, although I graduate college next May.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ford's new 5.0 is done right. It could make crazy power with relative little money. It's just a very different car than the AWD system in the evoX. Buy the car for where you live as others have said. As soon as the road condition deteriorates the Evo becomes shinier and the Mustang will fade into the slow lane. :}
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by LB_Reddy
Evo mustang sucks.!
Bias much? What are you 12?

Honestly I think the Mustang is a better performance bargain overall. You are just not going to match the straight line performance of a mustang with an Evo without sinking a ton of money into it and at that point it is not going to be as reliable. I drove a mustang and honestly it was an awesome car. They have tons of power and don't handle that bad and can be made to handle great.

What drove me away from the mustang were my own personal reasons. I seriously live in the Redneck Ferrari capitol of the world. They are seriously everywhere. I also felt like the car was just a little too big for me and I have concerns about poking my eye out with a high power RWD car after never having owned one. The Evo was more "me" and you should drive both and make the decision on your own. They are both fantastic cars.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
evooooo
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by WinkleDinkle
Bias much? What are you 12?

Honestly I think the Mustang is a better performance bargain overall. You are just not going to match the straight line performance of a mustang with an Evo without sinking a ton of money into it and at that point it is not going to be as reliable. I drove a mustang and honestly it was an awesome car. They have tons of power and don't handle that bad and can be made to handle great.

What drove me away from the mustang were my own personal reasons. I seriously live in the Redneck Ferrari capitol of the world. They are seriously everywhere. I also felt like the car was just a little too big for me and I have concerns about poking my eye out with a high power RWD car after never having owned one. The Evo was more "me" and you should drive both and make the decision on your own. They are both fantastic cars.
I have a good friend with a new 5.0 and my parents just bought one last month. I'm actually going to test drive an Evo X today and see how I like it. The price is ridiculously high, so I'm just looking at it to get a feel for it, and I'll find something better online
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmoney890
Hey guys, long story short, I'm getting a new car soon and I've narrowed my choices to the EVO X and the Mustang 5.0. My main issue in deciding between the two is the long term reliability. Now, I realized that high boost will potentially shorten the life of the EVO's engine, but on the flip side, the new 5.0's are littered with transmission troubles.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the EVO X is because of the, relative, low cost of the bolt on's and HP increases compared to the 5.0's. Granted, the average stock EVO dyno's about 100HP less than the 5.0, but I can easily make up that 100HP and give a stock 5.0 a helluva good run for cheap (from my research). To make an extra 100HP in the Mustang, you're looking at about $3500 and you're maxing out the stock block in the 475HP range and is really the upper limit for N/A.

So, basically I want you to try and talk me out of the 5.0 and into the EVO. And also, I have a few questions.

1. About how much HP can the stock EVO block handle before I start spending the big bucks?

2. I've noticed that the stock plugs on the EVO's are prone to breaking and ruining pistons and, in some cases, the whole engine. Will a simple plug change when I get my car fix this potential issue?

3. Anything I should know about the EVO? Any problems that are well known that I may be unaware of?

4. I've already seen tons of EVO's at or around the 450awhp mark, about how much money will it take to get there?

5. The twin turbo kit for the 5.0's are ~$8500. The upgraded AMS 900XP turbo kit for the EVO is FAR less at about $4800 and looks to be making about the same HP as the Hellion kits for the 5.0 (granted the Hellion kit is running at 5.5 psi). How reliable are the AMS turbo kits? I've heard they're the best, but how reliable is the best running high PSI?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: About what HP should I start thinking about getting bigger injectors?
1. We made 680WHP on a stock bottom end for quite a while. Not recommended but I would say around 450WHP is pretty reliable.

2. Haven't had an issue with this personally but never a bad idea.

3. Keep on top of fluid changes and maintenance.

4. You can make 350WHP on bolt ons. 450WHP requires a larger turbo on pump gas. You can expect to pay around $7-10k to make the 450WHP mark with the ability to turn up the power level temporarily if you need a little more.

5. Check our kit out. They are a little cheaper and I am sure you will find it a very nice kit. We managed to be the first Evo X into the 9s and held the record for a long time.

I think you will find the Evo X a lot easier to drive. The RWD mustang will be a little more of a handful and can easily get people into trouble just like with any RWD car.

- Robert
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
1. We made 680WHP on a stock bottom end for quite a while. Not recommended but I would say around 450WHP is pretty reliable.

2. Haven't had an issue with this personally but never a bad idea.

3. Keep on top of fluid changes and maintenance.

4. You can make 350WHP on bolt ons. 450WHP requires a larger turbo on pump gas. You can expect to pay around $7-10k to make the 450WHP mark with the ability to turn up the power level temporarily if you need a little more.

5. Check our kit out. They are a little cheaper and I am sure you will find it a very nice kit. We managed to be the first Evo X into the 9s and held the record for a long time.

I think you will find the Evo X a lot easier to drive. The RWD mustang will be a little more of a handful and can easily get people into trouble just like with any RWD car.

- Robert
Thanks so much for the reply! What kit do you recommend to get the 450-500 hp mark without too much stress on the motor/turbo? Also, what other goodies will I need to reliably run whatever kit you recommend? Bigger injectors, fuel rails, fuel pumps, etc or does it come with everything needed? Thanks again!

Last edited by bigmoney890; Jun 20, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
evo for the all year performance.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:17 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmoney890
Having an AWD vehicle in the snow is definitely a big plus for the EVO, although I graduate college next May.
+1

I drive the hell out of my cars/motorcycles. They're not garage queens. I don't give a damn if they get scratched. I have fun. Thats why I bought the damn thing. I've always wanted both also (X, 5.0). Purchased the X and never looked back. First awd car. No regrets
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:27 PM

Im in the same boat as you! I cant decide! I can get a new base GT for about $26k new thanks to my Xplan or a 2011 X for $28k with the S&S package with about 35k miles. I already drove a 5.0 and liked it a lot now i have to test drive an evo and see how i like it, my only concern is the absence of height adjustment on the recaros ive sat in one and felt like i needed to be up higher for better visibility... Yea im kinda short lol

Last edited by mac3194; Jun 20, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mac3194
Im in the same boat as you! I cant decide! I can get a new base GT for about $26k new thanks to my Xplan or a 2011 X for $28k with the S&S package with about 35k miles. I already drove a 5.0 and liked it a lot now i have to test drive an evo and see how i like it, my only concern is the absence of height adjustment on the recaros ive sat in one and felt like i needed to be up higher for better visibility... Yea im kinda short lol
The struggle is real haha. I couldn't make it the hour drive today to go and drive the Evo X that's local-ish to me. The good news is I have to go down that way Tuesday anyway and they just got in another 2010 Evo so I get to test one out. They also have a 606rwhp GTO too, might just have to test drive that one as well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an EVO X