Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo 8 or 9?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2005 evo with SSL package. I have an ACD...I have very nice leather seats which i feel look better than those of the IX. I have full leather trim. i have a sunroof. Theres nothing that im missing from the ix, i dont like the stock bumper, it looks soft compared to the VIII. Mivec? I have gsc s2 cams. At the end of the day, theyre 99.99% the same car, i actually think its better to get a clean 03 and put a mechanical diff in it and if you wanna swap seats throw in some really nice brides. Just mu opinion.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I have a 2005 evo with SSL package. I have an ACD...I have very nice leather seats which i feel look better than those of the IX. I have full leather trim. i have a sunroof. Theres nothing that im missing from the ix, i dont like the stock bumper, it looks soft compared to the VIII. Mivec? I have gsc s2 cams. At the end of the day, theyre 99.99% the same car, i actually think its better to get a clean 03 and put a mechanical diff in it and if you wanna swap seats throw in some really nice brides. Just mu opinion.
I've explained this to you before: MIVEC if for the low-end and cams impact the top of the rev-range. Apples and oranges. Ironically, by installing the cams you depleted the car's low-end reach - the opposite of MIVEC.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:31 PM

meh, they're both fun. Can't go wrong either way. I would just wait for the right buy, if the person took care of it, snag it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:40 PM

IX looks better in and out to me but VIII plus the cash you save would probably be a better deal.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Evo ix with Viii front bumper = perfect. I remember hearing another member say this buy The two little circles on the ix bumper look like **** on a wildhog while the 8 bumper is flawless.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
IX between those two. just a better car.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

They're still 99.99% the same care lol.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
They're still 99.99% the same care lol.
nope its not, you cant count. lol

The IX has a better engine, turbo , ECU, has ACD (vs early 8's) - LSD , better transmission with different gearing etc. Among other tweaks. From factory the IX is just a better car.
For look is all about personal taste.
Then again, I also like the IX steering wheel a lot more , the seats looks nicer etc.

i had both, i did daily drive them so as race them. The IX hands down better car. Unless you are into drag, which i dont. There i can see why the 8 can edge out the IX. no need for turn or have a low to mid range power And you do only 13 sec race each time. lol

my 8:

my 2006 IX RS ( i personally think it is a best trim of all the CT9A model):

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 25, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
nope its not, you cant count. lol The IX has a better engine, turbo , ECU, has ACD (vs early 8's) - LSD , better transmission with different gearing etc. Among other tweaks. From factory the IX is just a better car. For look is all about personal taste. Then again, I also like the IX steering wheel a lot more , the seats looks nicer etc. i had both, i did daily drive them so as race them. The IX hands down better car. Unless you are into drag, which i dont. There i can see why the 8 can edge out the IX. no need for turn or have a low to mid range power And you do only 13 sec race each time. lol my 8: my 2006 IX RS ( i personally think it is a best trim of all the CT9A model):
This is highly debatable. I too own an 8 rs and a 9 gsr. I practically converted my gsr into an rs (minus the fact that it still has sound deadening) mivec was just annoying so I got rid of that, acd was a pita and abs is just stupid in any race car. Other than the heat sink in the late 8s and 9s trannys pretty much the same. Tcases is the best in the rs models.

The turbo is slightly bigger but not even noticeable when driving. I agree with you that the rs is the best model by far for the purpose that the evo was meant to serve. Which is rally. But the changes between the 8/9 are so small, most arnt even worth mentioning.

So I would have to agree with the post earlier I consider them 99.9% the same car. Think about it. Pretty much every part on both are interchangeable except the ECU.

Last edited by RallySport9; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkmambaVENOM
This is highly debatable. I too own an 8 rs and a 9 gsr. I practically converted my gsr into an rs (minus the fact that it still has sound deadening) mivec was just annoying so I got rid of that, acd was a pita and abs is just stupid in any race car. Other than the heat sink in the late 8s and 9s trannys pretty much the same. Tcases is the best in the rs models.

The turbo is slightly bigger but not even noticeable when driving. I agree with you that the rs is the best model by far for the purpose that the evo was meant to serve. Which is rally. But the changes between the 8/9 are so small, most arnt even worth mentioning.

So I would have to agree with the post earlier I consider them 99.9% the same car. Think about it. Pretty much every part on both are interchangeable except the ECU.
thank you...these cars are fully interchangeable, share the same exact chassis...Mod for mod they are the same vehicle also. guys with the 03 like to put in mechanical diffs and people who have acd/ayc alot of times swap them out. Most difference on 8/9 is interior cosmetic....99.9% the same car and even if they werent, its hard to justify the price difference for equal cars. given everything equal, an evo 8 costing 18k would be 24ish if it was an IX..
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

these guys lol
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I like the VIII, but I adore the IX.

A IX is a IX and although they are close, they are also quite different. A mostly stock IX with bolt-ons and a flash greatly outperforms a mostly stock VIII with bolt-ons and a flash.

And yes, you can make an VIII like a IX in every way possible- swapping parts, motors, ECU's, turbos, and all that jazz. But that car is still an VIII. You just now have a replica of a IX.

...And personally I don't like replicas for myself. A replica will never be the real deal. Some people don't mind being fake. Some people do. Regardless, the real will always outspend the phony.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

I personally own a IX and ive been hit up by people with 8s trying to buy everything off my car, from the headlights, bumper, wheels, seats and tails... I also drove both...the 8s seemed dated even when I was shopping in 2006
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
I personally own a IX and ive been hit up by people with 8s trying to buy everything off my car, from the headlights, bumper, wheels, seats and tails... I also drove both...the 8s seemed dated even when I was shopping in 2006
i know what you mean by dated but honesty it's just mental. From the headlights and tail lights to the front bumper (which I personally think the Viii is the nicest looking front end in evo history) and seats. Sure all these things are "updated" in the ix. But in my view doesn't qualify to make them "different" cars.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkmambaVENOM
i know what you mean by dated but honesty it's just mental. From the headlights and tail lights to the front bumper (which I personally think the Viii is the nicest looking front end in evo history) and seats. Sure all these things are "updated" in the ix. But in my view doesn't qualify to make them "different" cars.
but they indeed different.
even bov is metal vs the 8 plastic

anyhow the 9 is a next step in evolution. many many upgrades and differences. If the 8 would the better car, why the 8 guys usually the one who want to swap parts

it is a stupid and well covered debate years ago. around 8 years you guys late in this. lol