Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

No EVO yet, but soon :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No EVO yet, but soon :)

Hi all, i'm from Houston, TX and in search for my FIRST Evo. I currently drive a 2014 Ford Escape (yeah, no choice, it's a FREE company car with free gas). i've read the faqs and researched and what not and decided that i'm going to get a IX MR, as I will only drive the car after work and mostly on weekends. Driving on street, no drag time, MAYBE autox when time comes. Mostly LONG highway driving.

I have owned an Integra GSR (2000-2002), S13 Silvia (2002-2003), GTR R32 Skyline (2003-2004) - (Stationed in Japan so that was possible), RX7 FC (2005-2011) and an SW20 MR2 (2011-2014). I sold my SW20 before moving to Houston as my wife was disabled and needed a bigger and higher vehicle to ride in. Before I lost my wife to cancer, she's been fascinated with the Evo's. And now that she's with God up in heaven, I think I'm going to get one in memory of her.

Please be gentle on this NOOB
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
good to have you on deck sir, do plenty of research, test drive em, undrstand the models and what they present, sometimes searching and testing cars change your mind in what you will end up, I started looking for an S2K, then went to an 8MR, then ended up with an IX which is now to be my weekender and track car. The connection these cars give you to the ground is amazing, I'm a bike guy and these are the next best thing
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:27 PM

I'm still trying to figure out if the 5-speed driving on highway (I-45 from Houston to Dallas) at 80mph tolerable. what's your opinion on this one, sir?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wttc
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dothacker81
I'm still trying to figure out if the 5-speed driving on highway (I-45 from Houston to Dallas) at 80mph tolerable. what's your opinion on this one, sir?

Depends on what you're use to, I would say with the cars you listed that it would be very tolerable. I'm a 9 MR fanboy though so I say go with that. Been pushing almost 400 WTQ now for almost 6 years and my "weak" transmission hasn't missed a beat. Obviously if you're going for 500+ WTQ get the 5 speed but even then you will probably break stuff. Damn I miss my STI transmission.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:28 AM

There's this Evo IX MR that's for sale in Dallas for $15950 but with a rebuilt title (rear end damage - the dealer disclosed it in their site). I have contacted them and will schedule a test drive and a look-see. I'm also thinking of driving it to an evo shop (evolution dynamics) if they permit me to drive it and have them look at the car before giving my money.

http://www.autofinancedallas.com/200..._251299604.veh
Old Mar 6, 2015, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

There's this Evo IX MR that's for sale in Dallas for $15950 but with a rebuilt title (rear end damage - the dealer disclosed it in their site). I have contacted them and will schedule a test drive and a look-see. I'm also thinking of driving it to an evo shop (evolution dynamics) if they permit me to drive it and have them look at the car before giving my money.

http://www.autofinancedallas.com/200..._251299604.veh
Sounds like you have a plan, if the dealer won't let you get it inspected or if they won't let you even drive it move on. Good luck!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Good luck with finding the Evo that best fits your wants/needs.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer last year, so I know what those last several months were like.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
5 speeds tend to take more punishment for high output motors, but there are 6's on here still hold up to 400hp so whatever you can get in the best condition, for the dealer car, full inspection or let it go,these cars can do alot of work and track day accidents come with them. Dont be in a hurry to get yourself in one. It took me about 8 inspections to get a good one, you'll get used to all the issues with them as you start looking and talking to the owners and researching in here. When you find the one, it will call out to you and you'll know
Old Mar 8, 2015, 08:09 PM

here's another issue:

Who here has an Evo and lives in an apartment?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Right here. It's not that bad.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

here's another issue:

Who here has an Evo and lives in an apartment?
I know it's a few days old but I did at one point. It was a pretty nice apartment complex as well, gated and patrolled at night. Bone stock IX MR rims lol. I found them on Craigslist a few weeks later and the police said nothing they could do. (Mine were Plasti Dipp'd bright red, it's how I knew they were mine). Don't leave your wheel lock key in the glove compartment; reason why they busted out my window. I had like $4k worth of golf clubs in my trunk, good thing they didn't check it.

No EVO yet, but soon :)-ykv1r1g.jpg
No EVO yet, but soon :)-fmpkwki.jpg
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:44 AM

Reviving my intro thread

Well it's been a few months since I started looking for an Evo and I have found the one I am buying. Currently, my plans are to fly to Minnesota, and drive this car home, E85 tune only though.

***STRAIGHT COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE CS AD***

PERFORMANCE:

OBX FMIC with aftermarket hard pipes and TurboSmart recirculated bov
Perrin Intake
OEM Evo IX turbo with TurboSmart WGA
MAP Short Runner Tubular exhaust manifold
MAP external dump 02 housing
Tanabe Concept Medallion full 3in catless turbo back exhaust
AMS fuel Rail
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
FIC 1100cc injectors
Walboro 255lph fuel pump
Grimmspeed Manual Boost Controller

Wheels/tires/suspension/brakes/misc

OEM EVO X BBS MR wheels wrapped in 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires *NEW tires, installed May 4th, 2015*
OEM MR Bilstein struts
Tein Lowering Springs
Centric Brake Rotors
Stop tech brake pads
WORKS short throw shifter
WORKS Grab shift knob
Buschur underhood shifter bushings
Mil-Spec throttle body shaft seal upgrade

Exterior/interior

Carbon fiber front Mitsubishi diamonds for front bumper
Rexpeed Carbon Fiber Oil Cooler Ducts
Rexpeed D Style Carbon Fiber front lip
Kansai Carbon Fiber Side Spats
Black housing custom painted headlights
"EVILUTION VIII" rear trunk badge and Mitsubishi Diamond badge in black (will include spare letters to say "EVOLUTION" if you want to change it)
Depo JDM MR style taillights
OEM EVO IX JDM Rear bumper
M2 black vortex generator
AEM Digital Wideband 02 Gauge
Autometer 30 psi boost gauge
Repainted calipers a Candy Red with black Brembo logos

The car has had a lot of maintenance performed and tasteful modifications to bring it to be the perfect Evo in my eyes. The brake rotors and pads have maybe 3000 miles on them and the struts/springs were installed at the same time, as well as fresh brake fluid. Full synthetic AMSoil oil with an OEM Mitsubishi Oil filter always (most recent oil change May 31,2015) and all drive line fluids (transmission, transfer case, rear diff) were flushed less than 4000 miles ago with Redline components. New NGK spark plugs. The sunroof works!! Already took the headliner down and got the screw put back in and secured with Loctite and the headliner was put back perfectly.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:46 AM

Pics