Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Selling Talon, Picking up an EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Selling Talon, Picking up an EVO IX

Hello all!

The time has come to sell the 1g Talon that I have owned for 10 years and finally pick up an Evo.

It started out with me trading a Toyota 22re engine for a non running complete hack job Talon. I spent some time fixing wiring, figuring out what parts were mismatched and getting it in general working condition.

Once I had it on the road I decided it was time to tear it all apart and have some fun. I had the car painted, upgraded the suspension with some coil overs and poly bushings and spent countless hours searching part out threads for the missing components I needed to complete the car. I work at a machine shop (13 years now) so I got my hands dirty with the engine and built a 9.0:1 2.3L. I had a 20g tdo5h that came with the car rebuilt and threw it on with plans for a fun street car for the winding mountain roads. Upgraded all of the usual supporting components and then purchased DSMlink and ran e-85 through some FIC950's.

I played with that set up for a few years and then ran into tough financial times and parted it all out but kept the shell. It sat for a few more years and then I began piecing it back together again. I ended up with a 1g rod 2g piston block powered by an evo1 "big" 16g. I've driven it for the past few years with that set up. Here is what I ended up with...

Well the time has come to move on to bigger and better things. I have a buyer for the Talon that left a deposit and will pick up the car in a week.

I found a Rally Red Evo IX that I should have in my hands this weekend. Waiting on the owner to get the title in his hands from the bank. I looked at several others and could tell that they had been raped, hacked or built with cheap parts. This one came along, very clean and it had the least amount of mods of the cars I looked at. Mostly consisting of a nice FMIC and piping, intake, exhaust and some PTE 1000cc injectors. Was tuned by a local shop for e-85 and 91 octane.

I dont trust romping on the car until I at least have a wideband and logging capabilities so I can tell if the tune is unsafe, conservative or possibly too aggressive. Ive been browsing this forum for a few days trying to take in as much as I can about the tuning options that are out there for the car. Looks like there is some good options but still need to do some research on what best suits my needs for daily driving and some auto cross.

Anyway, I look forward to learning the new platform!

Ill post a pic of the new car when its in my hands. I cant wait!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Welcome and thank you for the introduction! Your Talon reminds me of old country song about a Chevrolet....... you've got a 1992.... 93 ...... 94.... Talon. Many of us preceded our Evo with a Talon SE, mine was white and great fun to drive. Good luck and post a few pics when you have time.

Bob
Old Mar 31, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's hard to find a DSM that's in good running condition. I would have kept it and save up more for an Evo! :}
Old Mar 31, 2015, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome man, any idea where the IX was tuned?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 01:16 PM

The car was tuned by a shop called Tobz in Denver, CO. The owner said it was a safe tune but with out any way of monitoring a/f ratio or knock (that I can see) I'm obviously sceptical of that. I have no idea how or by what program it was tuned with. The only info I have from the owner is something along the lines of holding down the accelerator pedal for 5 seconds with key on before starting to switch between e-85 map and 91octane map.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pk303
The car was tuned by a shop called Tobz in Denver, CO. The owner said it was a safe tune but with out any way of monitoring a/f ratio or knock (that I can see) I'm obviously sceptical of that. I have no idea how or by what program it was tuned with. The only info I have from the owner is something along the lines of holding down the accelerator pedal for 5 seconds with key on before starting to switch between e-85 map and 91octane map.
My IX was tuned by Tobz about 6 years ago on 91 and all has been good so I would think it's probably pretty safe. His shop is always packed with Evo's so he must be doing something right. Was only asking because I'm in the process of going E85 and was curious of any other shops in the Denver area because Tobz is so hard to get a hold of because he's so busy.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:52 PM

Been pretty busy lately searching the forum and haven't made it back to update, but... I am now a proud owner of an evo! After a few ups and downs with craigslist people I also sold the Talon for my full asking price. I thought I would miss it but the Evo is just so many steps ahead of it, I haven't even thought of it.

Right now Im trying to straighten out a few things. I changed the HKS ssqv out with the synapse DV. Very happy with that change, no more surging under boost or flutter at any throttle lift.

I ordered the 1.3u cable so I can get on top of the tune. When I got the car the boost was set at 28+psi with 91 octane in the tank... Yikes! With my generic obd II scanner I came up with the fuel trims are maxed out and the car is definitely running rich (switching to the e85 map only makes it richer so Im pretty sure Im on the right one). Also had a random misfire code that Im pretty sure is related to how rich the car is running, it stumbles a little bit at idle.

Still trying to get my laptop connected with ecuflash but have not had any luck so far. Just purchased a charger to see if it is a voltage problem since the ecuunlocker had no effect.

Anyway I will post a few pics after I get a chance to wash the car.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, my searching has come up with some very useful info! I look forward to the day I know the tune is up to par and safe so I can really see what the car can do.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:35 AM

Welcome to EvolutionM forums !
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:16 PM

Ok, got ecuflash up and working but haven't made any adjustments yet. I did find some settings that I am not happy with. I will wait to make adjustments until after I get a few more parts installed. I'm going to try out a set of the FIC 1050SP high-z injectors with hopes that they will improve my idle. I also have a LC-2 wideband on its way so I can see where the AFR's are at. I ran a compression test (results ok) and installed a new set of plugs, changed the oil and filter and checked all of the fluid levels. Getting closer to being able to go WOT without being in the dark on the tune... its killing me driving around with out boosting, haha.

Anyway, still haven't washed the car but I got a chance to snap a pic. Here it is!

Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:30 PM

Nice.

That engine you had in the Talon is the same setup I had in my Colt GT.