Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Bye bye STi, hello new world

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bye bye STi, hello new world

Not really an Evo newbie, been on here for a while but went missing, like my ringlands in my STi. Worked on Evos in the past. Way easier than my vehicle of regret, but then again both have their weaknesses and the Evos have way more strengths. Sold my STi a while ago, now slowly looking for a new fun car. Have a few vehicles in mind but then again might just bite the bullet and hold of to get the car I wanted to get back in 07.

Thank you, and have a great weekend.

P.S. no, I don't like long walks on the beach, rather long nights in a garage. Cheers.
Old May 28, 2016, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
what evo are you getting? 8/9/x? either way, im sure you know you love it!
Old May 28, 2016, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know what it is about sti's, but every friend I have that's owned them has had dramatic problems. It's probably a coincidance, but they seem self destruct once you throw mods at them. 3 buddies had fully built motors with t3 turbo setups, and all of them stayed around 400whp. Sucks to think they spent all that money for 400 hp. And then they all had engine failure, not kidding.
Old May 28, 2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
what evo are you getting? 8/9/x? either way, im sure you know you love it!
Don't know. If I were to get an Evo it would most likely be beat up because I would end up having it as a track car. Rebuilt title wouldn't hurt, since they tend to go for way cheaper. X would be nice, but too new, plus I like the Iron block of the 4G, just in case I would like to go a little too much overboard with power.
Old May 28, 2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
I don't know what it is about sti's, but every friend I have that's owned them has had dramatic problems. It's probably a coincidance, but they seem self destruct once you throw mods at them. 3 buddies had fully built motors with t3 turbo setups, and all of them stayed around 400whp. Sucks to think they spent all that money for 400 hp. And then they all had engine failure, not kidding.
Yep, my 07 STi made great power for the mods it had done. But then I just didn't drive it because I felt like I had to treat it like a race car. Check the plugs to see if they are still good. Always got pulled over for having a straight pipe. Clutch was a PITA in traffic, quarter master twin disc, too bad the shop that installed it did not install it properly. Not to mention getting stranded with a timing belt that skipped due to a faulty tensioner. That was a fun tow and a tedious fix. Yep, that is why I moved on from the scoobie camp. Don't know if I want to join the Nissan camp or the Mitsu camp. The reason I sold my car was because I lost that spark that kept the fire burning and didn't enjoy it like I used to. Not to mention waking up my neighborhood at 6am Mon-Sat.....
Old May 28, 2016, 05:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Timing belt changes are the only thing I liked about my Subaru. Easiest I've ever done.
Other than that, it was more comfortable for longer trips and I liked not having frames around the windows.
None of those are really good reasons to pick it over an Evo. Mine was just a WRX, though. Full bolt ons and an upgraded (OEM) turbo = <300 whp LOL
Old May 29, 2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Timing belt changes are the only thing I liked about my Subaru. Easiest I've ever done.
Other than that, it was more comfortable for longer trips and I liked not having frames around the windows.
None of those are really good reasons to pick it over an Evo. Mine was just a WRX, though. Full bolt ons and an upgraded (OEM) turbo = <300 whp LOL
Yeah. Not having the window frame is nice. But when you consider on how much money spent to power ratio, well, it's pretty sad. For an Evo all you need is a built head and you can make 450awhp on pump. For my STI I had to fully build the motor. Mind you this was all way before E85. Once E85 came about no gas stations by me carried it. Yeah, the timing belt is not bad, but sucked because I didn't feel lie removing my radiator. Once you do more than ten, the small tricks you learn is a plus. Not going to lie. Feels nice driving a car and not having to worry about fouled plugs or if you are going to be stuck in dead stop traffic.
Old May 29, 2016, 03:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by SloSTi
Yeah. Not having the window frame is nice. But when you consider on how much money spent to power ratio, well, it's pretty sad. For an Evo all you need is a built head and you can make 450awhp on pump. For my STI I had to fully build the motor. Mind you this was all way before E85. Once E85 came about no gas stations by me carried it. Yeah, the timing belt is not bad, but sucked because I didn't feel lie removing my radiator. Once you do more than ten, the small tricks you learn is a plus. Not going to lie. Feels nice driving a car and not having to worry about fouled plugs or if you are going to be stuck in dead stop traffic.
450whp would take a bit more than that, but I know what you mean.

Last edited by kaj; May 30, 2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
whp would take a bit more than that, but I know what you mean.
Yep. Took more and was a more of a pain in the *** than anything. Except one good thing about going rotated and flipping the intake manifold, easier to change the spark plugs. But still could of had another vehicle more mod friendly and easier to work on. Lol
Old May 30, 2016, 08:35 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by SloSTi
Yep. Took more and was a more of a pain in the *** than anything. Except one good thing about going rotated and flipping the intake manifold, easier to change the spark plugs. But still could of had another vehicle more mod friendly and easier to work on. Lol
I meant on the Evo, sorry. Autocorrect deleted the "450" part of my post LOL.
Fixed.
I have yet to see a high-hp Subaru survive for long. I see lots of videos, hearsay, and claims...just nothing I can vouch for personally.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 01:52 PM

Welcome to the good guys!