Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why does the evo feel slow?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does the evo feel slow?

I've been babying the car for the break in, shifting before 4000rpms. The break in is already done, and i'm beginning to explore the rpms a bit more.

Today, i gave it a bit of gas in 3rd gear to 7k, and it feels really flat on top... The torque around 3-5 feels great.. but before 3, it's laggy, and after 5, it feels like it doesnt pull any longer.

My gsx will probably own it on top... it feels that way.

I know it's a quick stock car, or maybe because ive been spoiled by faster cars(mkiv supra, turbo celica, 1g gsx, 2g dsm's, sti's). Kinda dissappointed a srt4, or a sti will proabably hand me my *** on a roll. Straight line speed probably won't matter to you guys, but it's just nice to have, and from what i'm experiencing, the evo doesn't have any top end pull
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

depending on what ur gsx has done to it, yeah it will.

Evo is not a highway car. it's a drag racer if any kind of straight ahead speed. Look at it's 1/4 mile times...

If u get beat by a SRT4, u flatout can't drive, and and STi has more horsepower, what do u expect?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

that means you need more mods man ecu tuning would yield 15-20 hp right away or more depending on your cars reaction but since we do only run on 91 oct were kinda held back by that.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Get a mbc and you will be very happy. The boost hits 19psi around 3500 but then drops off around 5500, which is probably why you feel that it has no top end. It is still pulling just not as hard as the lower RPM's. It was designed to taper the boost, but that can be fixed with a boost controler. They are not expensive and you can even build your own. I have a buddy that built one and it is working like a charm.

Regardless - you should never get beaten by an SRT and you should beat an STI 0-60, but it will probably get you in the 1/4. The Evo is fast off the line if you launch it and can take courners better than almost any car out there.

Sorry you are not happy with your Evo, but if it is just straight line speed that is bothering you it can be fixed with a few cheep mods.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:38 PM

Question Loose Clamp?

Sounds like it could be this problem: loose BOV clamp

It's worth a look anyway.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chickenbrest
Get a mbc and you will be very happy. The boost hits 19psi around 3500 but then drops off around 5500, which is probably why you feel that it has no top end. It is still pulling just not as hard as the lower RPM's. It was designed to taper the boost, but that can be fixed with a boost controler. They are not expensive and you can even build your own. I have a buddy that built one and it is working like a charm.

Regardless - you should never get beaten by an SRT and you should beat an STI 0-60, but it will probably get you in the 1/4. The Evo is fast off the line if you launch it and can take courners better than almost any car out there.

Sorry you are not happy with your Evo, but if it is just straight line speed that is bothering you it can be fixed with a few cheep mods.
yeah, i know what you're talking about with boost tapering at the top. I have a electronic boost controller on my gsx, along with the alphabet soup of mods. I'm very happy with the evo, the handling is very godly. A comparison between the two probably won't be fair, it's just that the gsx costed 1/3 the price of the evo and it could hold it's own really well... haha
Top end pull is the only thing bothering me, but i suppose you're right.. some tuning and basic upgrades should fix that. I BELIEVE in the power of the 4g63 won't fail me in the evo
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your perspective is just all screwed up. I'm in the same boat with my cars. My 1G gsx is ruining me for the evo as far as acceleration is concerned becuase it's been modified already.

Appreciate the handling and braking capabilities of the evo, because the hp will come with time and mods, you already know that though.