Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Should I Shift @ Certain Speeds?

Old Sep 22, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should I Shift @ Certain Speeds?

What I mean is, if I shift from 2nd into 3rd, what speed should id be at. I was told:

1: 10mph
2: 20mph
3: 30mph
4: 40mph
5: 50+mph

not to be exactly like that, but pretty close... give about 5mph+ on each shift. Also if im coming to a stop sign and im in 4th or 5th, can I just drop it to neutral or 1st? This morning I was in 4th and I was comming to a stop light and before I made my complete stop I threw it in neutral and than tried to throw it in first and it wouldnt go in than it made this grinding noise so i just left it in neutral, came to a complete stop and than put it in 1st and she did with no problem.

Also Can I make a turn at a complete stop in 2nd gear? Or do I have to be in first? Also whats the best technique to downshift to a lower gear when your in a higher gear and ur trying to make a right at a light or a side street? I always brake, clutch, downshift, but the car still kinda boggs as im babying the clutch into the turn because if I left go to quick, she'll shut off. Im still learning stick (3rd day), when i shift into a gear, she has a slight hestiant, am i letting the RPM's drop to low before I press the gas? Kinda buggs me, because im really trying to get this clutch, shift, gas down patent and ASAP, I dont wanna dodge hills or traffic anymore.

Old Sep 22, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

You need to pay attention to the tach, not your speed, when you shift. If your just driving regularly and not aggressively, shift to the next gear around 3000 to 3500. It will sound like your bogging, but your really not. This will give you better gas milage.

Since your still new to stick, when performance driving (gettin it on), shift to the next gear around 5500. That should get you used to watching your tach and shift points and keep you out of the redline. When you get better at it, push closer to the redline before you shift.

if im coming to a stop sign and im in 4th or 5th, can I just drop it to neutral or 1st? This morning I was in 4th and I was comming to a stop light and before I made my complete stop I threw it in neutral and than tried to throw it in first and it wouldnt go in than it made this grinding noise so i just left it in neutral, came to a complete stop and than put it in 1st and she did with no problem.
Yes, you can go into neutral and stop, but its more effective if you downshift. The compression will help you brake. It ground going into first because the first gear is a straight cut gear, not helical (I think...). It doesn't like to go into first if your going very fast (5mph+).

when i shift into a gear, she has a slight hestiant, am i letting the RPM's drop to low before I press the gas?
Yes.

whats the best technique to downshift to a lower gear when your in a higher gear and ur trying to make a right at a light or a side street? I always brake, clutch, downshift, but the car still kinda boggs as im babying the clutch into the turn because if I left go to quick, she'll shut off.
Try using the downshift to help slow you down. That way you can better judge what your RPMs should be at when you turn and it should help with your bogging problem.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Personally I have no problem going into neutral when slowing down to a STOP; unless you need to slow down faster. other than that downshifting for a stop is only wearing your clutch more; and brakes are cheaper than clutches. Now when going around cornors thogh I downshift. Personally I try to slow down to the speed I want to go through the cornor at and in a gear that I can accelerate in, before I even start to turn; then I can accelerate out of the turn. As for the actuall downshifting, try to tap your gas quick and get your rpms up to where the engine should be for the lower gear before you let the clutch out; that will stop a lot of bogging and that jerky slowdown in the downshift. When it comes to putting the car in a really low gear at a high speed; I think the reasion you can't seem to get it in gear is that the gears are spinning really fast on the "wheelside" of the trans when coming out of 5th and 1st and 2nd's actuall gears are really moving, but the "engine side" isn't spinning at close to that speed and spining up the presure plate that fast isn't going to happen in a instant (or in any amout of reasionable time i believe) so the syncros make a bit of a cushion barrier; trying to speed up the "engine side" and stopping you from going in, but if you push through them you grind real bad (Of course I really don't know for sure, but it seems to make sence to me). And finanly.. you can start in 2nd, but you need to get the rips up higher than for a 1st launch and let the clutch out easy.

Last edited by quantum; Sep 22, 2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not good to go from 4th or 5th to 1st. in fact, i almost never go to first, even when comming to a complete stop. here is how it usually works for me:

if my speed is ~60, i can downshift to 4th
if its ~40, i can get to 3rd
if its ~25, i can get to 2nd

from there, use the break

also, learn to play it by ear. turn the radio down and listen to the engine. it wont take long before you can guess what RPM you are at /wout looking, just by the engine pitch.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 04:35 PM

The reason you can't shift into first easily when you are already moving is because 1st gear doesn't have a syncro like 2nd through 5th. It's the same as trying to shift into reverse when the car is already moving backwards...hence the grinding noise. I wouldn't worry about downshifting so much when you are first learning. the only advantage of downshifting when coming to a stop is if you need to slow down in a hurry...otherwise just shift to neutral and brake to a stop. Replacing pads is way cheaper than replacing a clutch. As far as a shifting range...follow PDXRalliArt's advice and shift based on RPM's not speed. If you want to save on gas shift lower than before MIVEC kicks in...which I think is around 3500 RPMs. That's just my 9 years of experience...but you'll have to find your own style.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Shifting From 4th or 5th can mess up your tranny bad.The Gears arent in Sync and therefore greate Grinding.The whole point of down shifting is to Synchronize the Gears.If you Stop in Neutral,Before moving again, Shift into second and then into first then go.This will keep it from popping out of Gear(Experienced this one first hand).Brakes are Cheaper than a Cluctch however both are Cheaper than a tranny or parts for one.As for Driving... Around Corners I usually Brake then Shift into Second then I press the gas.As long as you take a Corner at a reasonable speed ( I usually do so at 15-20 depending on the Corner).Like Squashzilla said,you will have to find your own style.You may not be an Aggressive driver, you might.. Only you can tell what style is yours.Thats something you have to find out for yourself.Just Avoid Hills and traffic until you feel you are ready to take them on.You will know when that is when you feel you are able to do it. Thats just my Perspective from the last 5 Years of being a licenced driver and before that I drove since I was 9(on my Friends Grandmothers Property learning to park,back up and steer)
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXRalliArt
You need to pay attention to the tach, not your speed, when you shift. If your just driving regularly and not aggressively, shift to the next gear around 3000 to 3500. It will sound like your bogging, but your really not. This will give you better gas milage.

Since your still new to stick, when performance driving (gettin it on), shift to the next gear around 5500. That should get you used to watching your tach and shift points and keep you out of the redline. When you get better at it, push closer to the redline before you shift.

Yes, you can go into neutral and stop, but its more effective if you downshift. The compression will help you brake. It ground going into first because the first gear is a straight cut gear, not helical (I think...). It doesn't like to go into first if your going very fast (5mph+).

Yes.

Try using the downshift to help slow you down. That way you can better judge what your RPMs should be at when you turn and it should help with your bogging problem.

All forward gears are helical cut and in constant mesh (the dog teeth and collar engage, the gears are always engaged with each other.) The grinding noise is the dog teeth trying unsuccesfully to engage the collar. Reverse is the only spur gear (straight cut) thus you get that whining noise in reverse.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I strongly recommend redlining every gear; just floor it dude. Gas isn't going to be around forever, so lets eat it up in style!
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving around normally, I shift in 15mph increments. 1-2@15mph, 2-3@30, 3-4@45, 4-5@60.

Driving aggressively, I shift somewhere near redline in every gear. Don't know the speeds, I'm paying more attention to the road than the speedometer.