Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC on '05 evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC on '05 evo

well, i'm completely stock except an intake and i installed a UTEC tonight. i set it on map 0, drove around a bit and took a few logs and then i set it on map 1, which was labeled "Evo 20 PSI Peak" drove around a took a few logs. nothing really interesting too much except when revving to launch at a standstill. i was expecting the usual factory rev limiter, but it revved all the way to 7 grand without a stutter. well, that is until i revved it up at a standstill at partial throttle, then the revs stuttered for a bit at around 5k like it was about to do the launch control thing, but then it ran up to 7k again. i'm assuming it has something to do with the issue in the other thread about the 5k rpm stutter. i'm kind of surprised that the UTEC got rid of the factory launch control, i actually enjoyed having it. well, i'll just have to explore the UTEC a bit more.

anyways, the UTEC runs without any real problems on the '05 ecu it seems. hopefully i'll be getting professionally tuned in a the next couple weeks and i'll know just how well the UTEC runs with my car.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It might have something to do with how the clutch switch is intercepted, or how the UTEC handles open loop fueling compared to closed loop..

I wish I could offer any advice, but I have absolutely no experience yet with an 05 model.. I haven't worked on anyone's 05's locally.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

hmm.. is there any advice on how i can make that portion of the coding passthrough? i actually liked the factory launch control.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 09:13 PM
Account Disabled

It is doubtful that it has anything to do with the utec. Sometimes I find that my stutter doesn't always work... without UTEC. You must have to come to a complete standstill for a second or so with no movement on the wheel sensors for it to work.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah good point, it may be conditional, I've been asking for a two-step rev limit on the UTEC that had a primary limit for launch, and a flat-shift limit when the car is moving.. Its easy enough to do, but a bit of extra coding..

I'm CERTAIN that all of these things are on their lists of to-do's.. They have alot on their plate with other TurboXS hardware developments and whatnot. I actually heard a rumor about a UTEC for the Dodge Neon SRT-4.. Though I'm not sure how factual that is, it would be very cool to see..
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

well, i tried a few times today while my car was on a flat surface and it still did the same thing. kind of worries me and i've returned the utec to 0. i know what you mean by the stutter not always working, but i've played with it before getting the UTEC and the conditions were set for it to work.

according to my utec manual, it does have a two-step rev limiter. i'd rather not deal with it myself as i don't want to mess anything up.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 09:25 AM
cmj
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HoLeeRay
well, i'm completely stock except an intake and i installed a UTEC tonight. i set it on map 0, drove around a bit and took a few logs and then i set it on map 1, which was labeled "Evo 20 PSI Peak" drove around a took a few logs. nothing really interesting too much except when revving to launch at a standstill. i was expecting the usual factory rev limiter, but it revved all the way to 7 grand without a stutter. well, that is until i revved it up at a standstill at partial throttle, then the revs stuttered for a bit at around 5k like it was about to do the launch control thing, but then it ran up to 7k again. i'm assuming it has something to do with the issue in the other thread about the 5k rpm stutter. i'm kind of surprised that the UTEC got rid of the factory launch control, i actually enjoyed having it. well, i'll just have to explore the UTEC a bit more.

anyways, the UTEC runs without any real problems on the '05 ecu it seems. hopefully i'll be getting professionally tuned in a the next couple weeks and i'll know just how well the UTEC runs with my car.
This is happening because the Utec takes total control after a set tps %. So under 25%tps the ecu is in total control and the 5000rpm factory launch control remains. At WOT or above 25% tps the UTEC is in total control and overrides the factory LC.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Again, I will re-iterate this.

The utec will switch to OLF when the car is revved above 5k rpm's but your are still under 25% throttle. Regardless of your throttle position once you are over 5k's rpms you are engaged into OLF. The slight stop in revs is due to the jump in Injector Duty Cycle.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old Feb 7, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

The UTEC offers two ways of setting up launch control, one by fuel cut and one by spark cut. Which does the factory '05 ecu use?