Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo IX idle and black soot/smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX idle and black soot/smoke from exhaust

Hey guys I recently got my accessport for my evolution 9 MR and it's amazing. I was running it the first day and noticed I could not hit maximum boost of 22 psi tapering to 20psi by redline. I was only hitting 20 and quickly tapering to 17 psi. After calling Cobb and speaking to Parker, he told me I had to remove the secondary boost pill for the accessport maps to work and he'll send me the line. So I figured I'd just take it easy with the car and stay outta boost until I got the line (Thursday next week ). Today when I started up my car in 65 degree weather I noticed it was bogging and the idle was very low, about 600rpms. After researching I found out there was a revised map and I uploaded it and now my car idles perfect. The only problem i'm noticing is on idle it will spit a little black soot out, and when you rev it it will spit black smoke or a greyish white smoke (engine was kinda cold). Is this normal? Am I running rich? When I was entering boost the day before my friend said it was spitting a little black smoke. I have a 3 inch TurboXS Catless Turboback exhaust and Megan Racing 02 housing as my only mods. I tested it for boost leaks a couple times and it is not leaking at all. What should I do COBB? Please chime in someone.

CN: Car spitting black soot at idle and black smoke occassionally when revving. Stage 2 93 OCT V100a, No pill removed, and NO smell of raw fuel, no CEL.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

You aint got a cat so this is normal. Since I have had a TBE with a test pipe its always been shooting **** out. Your okay
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by denny424
You aint got a cat so this is normal. Since I have had a TBE with a test pipe its always been shooting **** out. Your okay
HAHA! Thanks for the help man! Catless FTW! It spooked me because on my STi I have a catless TBE with Cobb Stage 2 and it doesn't spit nothing at idle like the evo.