Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Logging AFR via serial problems

Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logging AFR via serial problems

So I decided to go the serial route to log AFR with Evoscan.

I have:

installed, calibrated, and working Innovate MTX-L WB
Used the analog output #2 to pin #2 on a female serial connector, and a ground wire on pin #5 (as per https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...an-wiring.html , for AEM, but #2 is a universal data out for serial, "assuming" Innovate output could do the same)
Purchased the Gigaware Serial to USB adapter and installed drivers that came with it
Wired and tested output of the serial connector (there was a measured voltage when gauge was reading, know the output is working), was spitting out .3-1.4V depending on throttle applied
Used the formula "0.05925 * x + 7.35" in evoscan for external wideband A/F Ratio

I will start the logger, all data starts reading except for "external wideband A/F Ratio", it will sit at "0" reading the entire log, as if no input was received. I have tried other comm ports, selected the MTX-L option in the dropdown, all the stuff ive considered obvious. its an 03 evo 8, i have "openport 2.0 (j2534/CAN/EvoX)" selected with the "Mitsubishi MUTIII" checked. ECU selected is EFI.

If anyone has any ideas or guru knowledge, its much appreciated, i'm not around a tool filled garage much anymore, so the quicker i get this done the happier ill be!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:07 PM

Not sure how i ended up in evo X forums.. but i will request it moved, derp :S
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what the pinout is for your device, but based on your description of "analog output" and varying voltage, it sounds like you are trying to use an analog ranged voltage output for serial communication. They are two very different things. Analog outputs a range of voltage as you describe, serial would put out a high-rate pulsed signal at the same voltage.

You need to connect a serial output. I don't think the voltage is too high, but you probably don't want to be pumping whatever analog signal that is through any serial/USB devices.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou
I'm not sure what the pinout is for your device, but based on your description of "analog output" and varying voltage, it sounds like you are trying to use an analog ranged voltage output for serial communication. They are two very different things. Analog outputs a range of voltage as you describe, serial would put out a high-rate pulsed signal at the same voltage.

You need to connect a serial output. I don't think the voltage is too high, but you probably don't want to be pumping whatever analog signal that is through any serial/USB devices.
was the guide for the AEM wrong to use? they use the same thing to accomplish this, but with an innovate WB. Im lost at this point with getting it read into evoscan.

what is the downside to just using the microSD on the openport for logging?