Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

2017: Self-tune vs pro-tune Evo IX thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2017: Self-tune vs pro-tune Evo IX thoughts

I just came into a very mint Evo IX. Since obtaining it, I have purchased various mods that I have NOT installed, as I realize that I will be needing a tune for these (Cams, intake, LICP, Fuel pump, test pipe and down pipe).

I reside in Ohio, and the car was previously tuned with a catted turbo back setup, MBC, and not a whole lot else in terms of performance. I *believe* it was tuned at Moore Automotive in Virginia.

My question is this: is it even worth taking to a tuner these days? Who are the best tuners for the IX after over 10 years? I have called a few shops in my general area, and apart from being pretty rude/uninterested in my business, it seems a little pricey these days. It seems like if I wasn't buying parts from them, or having a GTR tranny rebuilt, they were not interested.

Is it worth it and if so, who is the best tuner around? I don't mind learning if that is the best, but it would be nice to have a base map for these mods.
I have a copy of Merlins guide, I'm sure if I spent some time with it, I could learn it.

Thoughts?
Search more?

Would like to stay in the "area" - Moore, Stm, AMS, Buschur, Cbrd, etc etc.
Who has the best tuner, but also the best CUSTOMER SERVICE for us guys
Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're having trouble finding a local tuner, tscomptuned (http://www.tscomptuned.net/) is a remote tuner on these boards that has a very good reputation.

I don't think it's worthwhile to try to learn to tune it yourself unless you're legitimately interested. There's a considerable learning curve, and a big time investment involved. If it does float your boat though, and you go through with it, please post any questions!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
"pro tune"? Are you coming from the Subie world?

There are lots of good tuners. I've used two for e-tuning with great results. I'm currently using BainsTuned and before him, Jay @ BoostedTuning.

If you have the hardware, I suggest going that route. It's a lot of fun being involved. Plus, I drive on the street.. so I like to tune there. Preference, though.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
It all depends on your comfort level, the amount of patience you have, and how well you are at troubleshooting and interpreting data. Some people are really hesitant to make mistakes which deter them from tuning. This is valid since an error in the wrong spot could be costly. As long as you do not fat finger anything you should be fine.

As butte said there is a learning curve when it comes to tuning, especially with our stock ECUs. However once you get used to all of the intricacies of the stock ECU, you will have a much easier time if you decide to jump to an aftermarket ECU. Refer to Merlin's guide, which you already have, and look up youtube videos on how to tune the stock ECU. Be prepared to do a lot of searching through old threads to find answers to your questions.

If you feel that tuning your own car is out of your comfort zone, any of the shops you mentioned will fit your needs. I do not have any experience with any of them but from what I've read on this forum you can't go wrong.