Notices

Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Xplosiv
So redline mt-90 would be more than sufficient since ive already bought it? Or should I pawn it off on someone and buy OEM?
I like MT90 personally, but I have had customers complain of notchy shifting when cold while using it on the street year-round. If that doesn't bother you, then no big deal, but it seems to bother a lot of my customers so we stick with the factory fluid which won't do that.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in central Oklahoma so it doesnt get really cold. Plus I allow the car to warm up sufficiently before I ever set it in gear. I think ill try the MT90 and if the notchiness becomes an issue ill swap back to the OEM stuff. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You can always try MT-85 which was made to meet Mitsu's viscosity requirements.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:37 AM

Well after reading this thread and the input from what joseph143 gave me on the thread I posted shortly before reading this, I will be purchasing my oil from Jacks! You guys were very helpful when I got my clutch and flywheel done on my BR350 at your shop back in August 2012 and not to mention for the lowest price I could find around the Colorado area. Thanks again for the knowledge and thumbs up!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So apart from possibly notchy shifting when cold, the redline MT90 is as good as the OEM diaqueen in terms of wear etc?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
So apart from possibly notchy shifting when cold, the redline MT90 is as good as the OEM diaqueen in terms of wear etc?
The OEM Mits fluid we sell seems to be the miracle fluid, but MT90 has worked well. It's not the same, but if you can't get a hold of the Mits fluid, the MT90 is a good 2nd choice.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

What about the newer Redline MT85 (75w-85)? It's what the redline site 'suggests' for an evo is there much info on how this performs vs the MT90 or OEM?

Regarding transfer case, heavy shockproof is pretty thick and I'm concerned it wont properly flow to/lubricate the pinion bearings due to the small passageways in the pinion housing. Is it suitable for road racing applications? What about the use of the Redline 75w-140 or the 80w-140 instead if the car is used for road racing rather than drag racing?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Sponsor

What about the newer Redline MT85 (75w-85)? It's what the redline site 'suggests' for an evo is there much info on how this performs vs the MT90 or OEM?

Regarding transfer case, heavy shockproof is pretty thick and I'm concerned it wont properly flow to/lubricate the pinion bearings due to the small passageways in the pinion housing. Is it suitable for road racing applications? What about the use of the Redline 75w-140 or the 80w-140 instead if the car is used for road racing rather than drag racing?
We have not tested the MT85.

Unless you want to have to rebuild or replace your t-case you must use shockproof heavy. Nothing gets clogged or plugged with heavy in the t-case. That's what it was designed for. Just don't use it in the trans.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks. Can shockproof heavy be used from day one with a rebuilt transfer case using a new ring and pinion? Will the gear surfaces 'bed in' properly etc?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
Gold Sponsor

Ok thanks. Can shockproof heavy be used from day one with a rebuilt transfer case using a new ring and pinion? Will the gear surfaces 'bed in' properly etc?
Yes! We very highly recommend Heavy from day 1. No wear-in needed.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jack thanks for your honest feedback,,,matter fact I need this because it helps us redesign to better the competition because of course we are in business to make money and serve our clients.

About the fluid not working Shep trans also has noticed this issues for along time ago, the issues is that those people are using the 75w90 lube while this is an ok fluid for cars not making more than 400 AWHP anything making more than that should be using the 75w140.
I have been working with shep on this for some time since this is the same fluid used in our nissan GTRs, however we don't have issues with our fluid in the GTRs,, Swietzer runs it, AMS and other shops on cars making sometimes 3x the amount of power an Evo does. Matter fact the AMSOIL 140 cures some issues in the diff of the GTR as Swietzer performance has discovered.

We have come to the conclusion that it is hard to say if the fluid is the issue,, maybe by coincidence a few of the units using AMSOIL broke, and or the other units using diaqueen did not. I don't know it's hard to say,, the questions are, did those customers using the AMSOIL treat their cars worst than the others, in what condition were the systems ect... Unless we have systemic failures and not random ones its hard to say.

Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
Hello! Thanks for posting.

I would stay away from Amsoil. I have a few issues with that fluid:
  1. Anyone can easily become a dealer so it seems there are a huge number of them running around promoting the product to make money.
  2. We have noticed if you use the oil in a trans which doesn't see much power, it seems to be OK. It's not great, but OK. If it is used in an application with a lot of power, we have noticed the gears get wiped out pretty easily.
  3. The fluid just doesn't have the cocktail required for gears which have a very long and heavy contact patch.
It's good quality fluid, but I wouldn't use it in a Mits trans, rear diff, or t-case. Considering the price, you can get far better fluid for the same price or less.

Your redline mix is something we don't like to do as mixing fluids takes away from what each is supposed to accomplish on its own. If the shifts feel OK, you are probably OK, but I would stick with 1 fluid for the trans and not mix them up the next time you do a change.

The best fluid we have found for both daily driving and race applications has surprisingly been the Mitsubishi fluid. We sell it at a large discount HERE. We just can't seem to find another fluid that is so friendly to synchros, bearings and gears like the Mitsu stuff.

I would say if you are happy with how the trans feels, and you are also using the OEM fluid in the t-case and changing it often, I would just stick to it. I don't see anything failing with what you have going on now.

Good luck!

Jack

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 20, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
Gold Sponsor

The ring and pinion in a t-case works completely differently than the rear diff in a GT-R.

With the EVO t-case, you have the ring gear power the pinion. In a rear diff, you have the pinion power the ring gear. This is a big difference.

When you have the ring gear powering the pinion you have a lot more pressure and a long contact patch. If you don't have a fluid with a lot of cling to it, the ring and pinion in the EVO t-case will get wiped out.

Redline Shockproof Heavy has unbelievable cling properties to it which is very important for long life of the EVO ring and pinion.

My brother purchased an EVO several years ago with a worn R&P. The whine was very loud. He put Heavy in the t-case and raced on it a full 3 years including daily driving to work. It never broke or got worse. He finally decided to replace the R&P to quiet the noise down, but that was the only reason. What was amazing is the wiped out R&P never got worse after he filled it with Redline Heavy after he purchased the vehicle 3 years prior. A pretty amazing testament to how unbelievably well that product works in the EVO t-case. It’s so good, that if you wipe your R&P down due to low oil or the wrong fluid, Heavy will prevent it for wearing further.

Originally Posted by apagan01
Jack thanks for your honest feedback,,,matter fact I need this because it helps us redesign to better the competition because of course we are in business to make money and serve our clients.

About the fluid not working Shep trans also has noticed this issues for along time ago, the issues is that those people are using the 75w90 lube while this is an ok fluid for cars not making more than 400 AWHP anything making more than that should be using the 75w140.
I have been working with shep on this for some time since this is the same fluid used in our nissan GTRs, however we don't have issues with our fluid in the GTRs,, Swietzer runs it, AMS and other shops on cars making sometimes 3x the amount of power an Evo does. Matter fact the AMSOIL 140 cures some issues in the diff of the GTR as Swietzer performance has discovered.

We have come to the conclusion that it is hard to say if the fluid is the issue,, maybe by coincidence a few of the units using AMSOIL broke, and or the other units using diaqueen did not. I don't know it's hard to say,, the questions are, did those customers using the AMSOIL treat their cars worst than the others, in what condition were the systems ect... Unless we have systemic failures and not random ones its hard to say.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:15 PM

So basically I shouldn't switch to Amsoil for the transmission? I was getting ready to do this switch today but now that I have read this maybe I should reconsider and goto OEM again. Hmmm
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

Fully agree on how much different is the GTRs tcase and rear diff an Evo ... But we use the severegear in both the tcase and rear diff of the GTR,, Sweitzer does as well, matter fact they are the ones who discovered that using the AMSOIL eliminates the issues..
Tim Sanders with one of the fastest Alpha GTRs, and ll of the Sweitzer customer and many of the Alpha customers.

Back to the evo's,, personal experience was my own Evo IX when I had it,, I drove that baby hard I mean hard,, all it used was SVG 75w90 25000 miles of abuse on 30psi and leaded 110 fuel.. And for the tranny MTG GL4 75w90. Also have many customers using these fluids others using the 140 they track the car constantly no issues.

Like I said before we have had this conversation before countless of times with many other shops,,, and since I am closer to John at Sheptrans there is where I take my questions and issues,, so the big question was do we have a systemic issue with the AMSOIL fluid,,, the answer was we haven't done metrics to see is there is a pattern,, and even then how do we know its due to the fluid and not the part, user, power level ect... Without doing some lab or real world testing tuff to blame fluids.

But we continue to reccomend AMSOIL severegear 75w140 and MTG GL4 75w90 to many cars running with success to back peddle.

Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
The ring and pinion in a t-case works completely differently than the rear diff in a GT-R.

With the EVO t-case, you have the ring gear power the pinion. In a rear diff, you have the pinion power the ring gear. This is a big difference.

When you have the ring gear powering the pinion you have a lot more pressure and a long contact patch. If you don't have a fluid with a lot of cling to it, the ring and pinion in the EVO t-case will get wiped out.

Redline Shockproof Heavy has unbelievable cling properties to it which is very important for long life of the EVO ring and pinion.

My brother purchased an EVO several years ago with a worn R&P. The whine was very loud. He put Heavy in the t-case and raced on it a full 3 years including daily driving to work. It never broke or got worse. He finally decided to replace the R&P to quiet the noise down, but that was the only reason. What was amazing is the wiped out R&P never got worse after he filled it with Redline Heavy after he purchased the vehicle 3 years prior. A pretty amazing testament to how unbelievably well that product works in the EVO t-case. It’s so good, that if you wipe your R&P down due to low oil or the wrong fluid, Heavy will prevent it for wearing further.

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 21, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by StreakGSX
So basically I shouldn't switch to Amsoil for the transmission? I was getting ready to do this switch today but now that I have read this maybe I should reconsider and goto OEM again. Hmmm
No you won't have any issues.... With AMSOIL your tranny will actually benefit from a synthetic fluid.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations