Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

What you all NEED to know about motor oil in our Lancers. Read and be amazed!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you all NEED to know about motor oil in our Lancers. Read and be amazed!

Before I start I am going to post this in a few sections for our Lancer, as this is very very useful information, and you will all be amazed at my discovery.

Ok, first of all, I am not just pulling this out of my butt. I am currently attending UTI (Universal Technical Institute). And, if any of you do not know what that is, It is by far, the best automotive school in the world. Certain Companies such as Porsche and BMW will only hire people Who were at the top of there class at UTI. So, I am not just claiming to be an expert here, I got this info from the most intelligent techs there are. Don't believe me?? Give UTI a call and find out for yourself.

Anyways, this is about oil. We all need it, no doubt about that. Just a few months ago, I was searching these forums and came across a thread on oil. Supposedly, someones turboed Lancer OZ totally blew apart, and a bunch of people told him it was because of the oil he used... Wait a minute.... He used sinthetic, which is supposed to be the best of oils. Anyways, there are something like 20 or 30 pages to this arguement on this site about how our Lancer has bad tolerances in our oil pump. I am not disagreeing with this, but everyone was saying how Road Race, various techs, and Mitsubishi themselves were telling them to use conventional, because it was thicker or something. Now this made me wonder, because I was in the process of locating a turbo kit for my 06 Lancer. I thought about it for a while, and asked a few people (this is before I moved to UTI) about oils.... every single tech i asked said that sinthetic oil, like Mobil 1, Castrol GTX, and Pennsoil was far superior to conventional oils, bad tolerances or not. Synthetic is even called for more on a turbocharged car, because its heat qualities are much better, It breaks down at a much higher temperature than conventional. And a synthetic oil cannot be thinner than conventional, if the viscosities are the same. So, I knew something had to be up with this turboed OZ that just exploded. I watched as everyone on that disscussion were switching right there, saying something to he effect of, "wow, I'm gonna go buy some 15w-50 conventional and change it this weekend!" You can search "oil" on this site and you will probably be able to find it.

So, as some of you may know, I recently turboed my own lancer es... It is under the forced induction section, many have read it so far. So, for the last few weeks it has been on the back of my mind to maybe switch to conventional... I mean, if Mits is telling us that we need conventional, that must be it right?? Well, here is what I just found out....

We are all being screwed...... Thats it. I know as most of you read this, you will be going, aw, what does this kid know, I'm not going to listen to this idiot.... But please, hear me out. All oil is the same. It doesnt matter if you buy a 7 dollar a quart Mobil 1 or $1.78 a quart Wal-mart, it is all the same. Here is what is dissapointing. In late 2006, a law was silently passed that required oil companies to remove certain materials from there motor oil, such as copper. This was because the "experts" beleived that those substances were harming the catylatic converters on automobiles. So, every once of oil on the shelf today is the same.... A "full synthetic" oil, really isnt synthetic at all. All they need to do is put one ingredient in the oil that is man-made, and they are allowed to name it a "full-synthetic". So, conventional, blends, and "full synthetic", are all basically the same identical oil. No difference... all this time I had been buying the 7 dollar Mobil 1 thinking I was doing good for my motor..... Not the case at all. It is the same as the stuff for $1.78 at Wal-mart. It is all petroleum based. So, in other words, that Turbo OZ that blew up, absolutely cannot be because of the oil that he was using. It makes no diference... Conventional or "full synthetic", it flows the same, because it is the same. In fact, there is only one company that manufacturers the "additive packs" for the "synthetic" oils... So Mobil 1 is the same as Pennzoil, and they are the same as the cheapy stuff.

Now, you are probably at where I was about now... We are getting screwed, is there anything better than these fake synthetics? YES!!! The are in fact 2 companies that make a true, no BS full synthetic oil, and it is NOT petroleum based, and is actually far far superior to any other oil out there.... Perhaps you have heard of it.... Royal Purple and another brand that is not available to the public, only racing companies. Thats right, Royal Purple makes there own oil, there own additives, and they did not rid the oil of those needed substances the law took away. It is a 100% synthetic oil, and It is by far the best oil there is. I am not here to talk up Royal Purple, they are just simply the best.

Now, what about those additives you can buy to replace those lost materials?? Take a gander at this. Lucas oils, which you all know makes the "#1" oil additive available, came into the UTI campus a few years back. In one of there commercials, they show an engine treated with that additive, then drain all the oil and drove the car 100 miles from Vancuver, Canada, to Seattle, Washington. They then tore the engine down, and found zero wear. Well, when they came to UTI, the instructer that gave me all the info you just read, tried just that.... They treated an engine to that Lucas stuff, then drained the oil. The motor seized within 30 seconds. So, they are not allowed back at that school, simply on account that they made a false claim, and the school is not going to talk them up for making false claims. Royal Purple also came to the school. Again, the instructer threw a T-bucket on the dyno, made a few runs with "synthetic" oil, then replaced it with Royal Purple.... On every run, the increase in power was around 15 at the wheels... an incredible gain just for an oil change... also, Royal Purple reduces driveline friction, and runs about 10-15 degrees cooler, which in the tech world is a huge advantage. If you dont beleive any of this, go to Comp Cams website... If you do a little searching, you will find that in 2007, more than 100,000 cams.... yes, that is one hundred THOUSAND flat tappet cams, went flat in a period of 6 months.... 100,000 cams in 6 months!! Now, If you read in there tech forums, using any other oil than Royal Purple and that other brand we cannot buy, you will void the warrenty.

So, all this time we thought we were helping our engines using "synthetic" oils... exactly the same as anything else, except for Royal Purple. Hopefully this will help some of us who are wondering what to put in our cars. Royal Purple is the way to go, if you go to there website, you can watch where about 10 different independent shows test Royal Purple on dynos and everything.... Royal Purples claims are REAL!!! Those big oil companies, they don't care about our cars, they don't care about any of us... Royal Purple cares, and if I do say so, I want oil manufatured by people who care about my car. Do yourself and your car a favor and run Royal Purple.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:23 AM

well i am not here to support any particular brand, but i put royal purple synthetic oil in my 2000 pulsar vz-r, in december 07 and changed it august 08 and the car was running very dam good, so i am a testimony to a proven royal purple oil. will be using this in my evo for sure. thanks for the info boss as i suspected something like this long ago but didnt have full proof of it.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

on my next oil change im switching over to amsoil or eneos
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Castrol synthetic blend since day one.. I guess I'll just keep using it or switch to royal purple when I boost...
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah everybody, I'm not hear to market Royal Purple, I am here to discuss what i found out.... I am not trying to switch everyone over to Royal Purple... I never said the other oil is crap, it just isnt a full synthetic. And we have been using it noe for a couple of years, and nothing wrong yet.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well technically they aren't all identical. Some are better than others. I work at autozone and can say that our Valuecraft oil is far worse than castrol or penzoil. The oils have to meet certain criteria. The cheap stuff does meet that criteria and goes no farther. Some brands that cost a little more do have other additives that perhaps remove "sludge" like you see in the commercials. And synthetic is higher up than non synthetic. I have always known that the $7 per quart stuff like mobil wasn't really doing much better. But I have also known that royal purple is one of the top brands in synthetic oil. It depends on your motor needs. The quaker state Q synthetic or whatever has also been proven to put out slightly higher numbers in high revving vehicles than other synthetics.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drucea
Well technically they aren't all identical. Some are better than others. I work at autozone and can say that our Valuecraft oil is far worse than castrol or penzoil. The oils have to meet certain criteria. The cheap stuff does meet that criteria and goes no farther. Some brands that cost a little more do have other additives that perhaps remove "sludge" like you see in the commercials. And synthetic is higher up than non synthetic. I have always known that the $7 per quart stuff like mobil wasn't really doing much better. But I have also known that royal purple is one of the top brands in synthetic oil. It depends on your motor needs. The quaker state Q synthetic or whatever has also been proven to put out slightly higher numbers in high revving vehicles than other synthetics.
I like this guy... If you all go into the engine tech section there is a HUGE debate over what i wrote in there.... you are right, some have more additives, some are refined better.... but the MAIN additive package that makes it a "synthetic" is made by the same company. You are right though, some companies still use a lot of synthetic materials, but it isnt ONLY synthetic, there is son petroleum based substances in it.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackchiney-8
well i am not here to support any particular brand, but i put royal purple synthetic oil in my 2000 pulsar vz-r, in december 07 and changed it august 08 and the car was running very dam good, so i am a testimony to a proven royal purple oil. will be using this in my evo for sure. thanks for the info boss as i suspected something like this long ago but didnt have full proof of it.

I want to personally thank you blackchiney, you and the other mod that just posted right here are the ONLY 2 people so far that havent reamed me for thinking about this. I summarized everything on the last page in the tech forum. Thanks for not treating me like a dumbass.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

^Thing is though, who's to say that the car would have been exactly the same if he'd used a different oil? I've jumped back and forth between brands, but stick with synthetics. I go to Royal Purple simply because it's a little cheaper, and I do oil changes fairly often (I rack up kms quick). In your other thread you said that a brand like Motul isn't readily available to the public, and yet shops sell them. If RP was as good as you say it is, it would be getting used all the time in exotic cars, which it isn't.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Also you're in Canada right MadPatter? You probably have different oils available than her in the states. I've actually never heard of Motul. I've switched between shell oil, castrol GTX and even a cheap quaker oil because those are the specials we have each month at autozone and employees don't get discounts on oil. I've personally never noticed a difference. But then again I don't dyno test each one or race the at the track. Just normal driving wiht a lot of miles.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
OK I'm going to scrape this because you already have a thread (I think this is the third in fact) and we don't need another on the same subject. I'm sorry I came off harsh but I was not the only one so I do not see why you have felt it necessary to single out my comments when I was usually just reiterating or repeating what someone else said. I'm not going to get into it as it was beaten to death in the other thread and I'm already receiving PMs from you as well. I will say this, you need to learn to separate opinions on your comments from opinions on you as a person.

Edit: As a final note, if you wish to continue discussing this, feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to talk to you about it on a 1 on 1 level. Do not however go dragging my name through the mud simply because you do not like what I said. I reread the entire thread that you seem so jaded by and found that several people were making the same points I was.

Last edited by ambystom01; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:52 PM.