Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

difference between ralliart and Gts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx-319
If your objective is to have your car go as fast as possible, SST is the way. People traditionnaly picked manual transmission because they allowed them to get the most out of their car.

But, I don't know anyone who can shift faster using a standard trans than the SST does. So the argument that manual = more performance does not hold anymore.

But if you personnaly prefer manual and don't put perfornance as a priority, GTS is the way. You got a fun car that is manual.

But Ralliart bring you a lot:
-> Lot of powerful ( stock power and a lot of modding potential)
-> Shifts faster than ANY manual transmission (and retain the ability to manually pick your gear, and with GST Tune, it much more responsive than it is stock).
-> Offer you the convenience of an automatic in heavy traffic (while still having the opportunity to quickly downshift to take advantage of an empty lane )
-> Is comfortable as a daily driver (the EVO X is NOT a comfortable daily driver)
Etc... I could go on for a very long list.

And, driving manual does not make your more man... It simply used to be the way to go for real performance, but it no longer is... Manual is soon gonna be outdated (as soon as the market offer mods that will increase it Torque tolerance over the 450-500 WTQ we have right now).
generally, a manual trans can hold more power than a comparable automatic trans. I dont think Shep builds automatic race trannies lol

and also, manuals are usually cheaper, easier to take care of, less expensive to maintain, and less expensive to fix. it also lets you "feel" what the car is doing better than an auto car. yeah, an SST may be faster around a track or something, but manual transmissions are for the people that really want to enjoy their car all day every day.

thank you very much, ill keep my manual transmission

about your stuck in traffic situation, how often does that happen? I have a stage 3 ACT clutch in my car, its very heavy, and I've just gotten so used to it, it doesnt even phase me anymore. people get in my car, push the clutch half way down because its so hard, and think thats all the way down. im like "nope, keep pushing!"
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
generally, a manual trans can hold more power than a comparable automatic trans. I dont think Shep builds automatic race trannies lol
Yes, the generally is important there. Because the SST is not a conventional automatic transmission. It does not have a torque converter like automatic transmission, it's using 2 clutch packs similar to the ones used in high performance manual transmission.

From what I understand, clutch pack are able to sustain much more stress than conventionnal clutches.

Also, a lot of drag cars that I know that are doing less than 10 on the quarter mile are using automatic transmission because using manual transmission was actually negatively impacting their times. Which proves that even conventional automatic transmission can hold quite a lot of power!

The only real, concrete advantage to manual is just that it's more fun... That's it. But if you are going for power as most of you guys probably are, SST is the way to go. The time where manual was the best choice for track is past...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But if you are going for power as most of you guys probably are, SST is the way to go. The time where manual was the best choice for track is past...
Go to the Evo X section and let me know which transmission is making more power. The SST is limited in its max TQ capabilities. It is also limited in it potential for upgrades, not to mention the price of upgrading the clutch packs.

Also, let's see which Evo X track cars are running the best times. I'll bet you don't find the SST running the best times.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
Go to the Evo X section and let me know which transmission is making more power. The SST is limited in its max TQ capabilities. It is also limited in it potential for upgrades, not to mention the price of upgrading the clutch packs.

Also, let's see which Evo X track cars are running the best times. I'll bet you don't find the SST running the best times.
That is because the SST is fairly new and aftermarket upgrades are not widely available.

This is no indication of the real potential or limitations of the SST. Wait a few year once it gets more common.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Anyway, someone who is satisfied by the power potential of a Lancer GTS will definitely not be limited by the 300 WTQ of a stock SST
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Anyway, someone who is satisfied by the power potential of a Lancer GTS will definitely not be limited by the 300 WTQ of a stock SST
yea.... but the whole thing is I am not looking to make a track car... just want to pep up my gts.... I like driving standard transmission. I learned to drive in a standard so thats what I prefer to drive. not to mention if I need to fix parts in my car I'm sure it will cost a whole lot less that a car with the sst.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ozdriver
yea.... but the whole thing is I am not looking to make a track car... just want to pep up my gts.... I like driving standard transmission. I learned to drive in a standard so thats what I prefer to drive. not to mention if I need to fix parts in my car I'm sure it will cost a whole lot less that a car with the sst.
I understand your point, but mmy point is, if you're looking for performance (rather than just a kool economy car) and can't afford buying and modding and EVO X or similar inexpensive performance car, the Ralliart is a very good compromise because you actually get an engine with the same internal as the EVO X (so you can bolt on most of the bolt for or from the EVO X) and you get one of the best transmission in the world.

There's a limit to modding a car, a time when you should ask yourself if it makes sense.

If you want to keep you GTS but get a reasonable performing car, here is my opinion on aftermarket turbo kit for the 4B11 is, why buy a 4500$ turbo kit and kill your reliability when you could buy an engine + ECU from a wrecked EVO X GSR for just a little more and actually have the stronger internals and all the power potential of the EVO X? Plus, you get a spare working engine you could put back in the if you blow you 4B11T
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Wow does any of these dudes that love sst know how to drive a stick omg do you know what clutch means wow amazing
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:59 PM

I understand your point, but mmy point is, if you're looking for performance (rather than just a kool economy car) and can't afford buying and modding and EVO X or similar inexpensive performance car, the Ralliart is a very good compromise because you actually get an engine with the same internal as the EVO X (so you can bolt on most of the bolt for or from the EVO X) and you get one of the best transmission in the world.

There's a limit to modding a car, a time when you should ask yourself if it makes sense.

If you want to keep you GTS but get a reasonable performing car, here is my opinion on aftermarket turbo kit for the 4B11 is, why buy a 4500$ turbo kit and kill your reliability when you could buy an engine + ECU from a wrecked EVO X GSR for just a little more and actually have the stronger internals and all the power potential of the EVO X? Plus, you get a spare working engine you could put back in the if you blow you 4B11T
I dont think you can swap the 4b11t into the gts without putting alot of money in it
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by erikerwin
I dont think you can swap the 4b11t into the gts without putting alot of money in it
its possible, it would just take money. talked to a guy at my local dealer before and he told me you could buy a full evo x motor with turbo for 5k from the dealer. thats almost as much as the turbokit itself lol.

but even then at the end of the day you have an unreliable FWD turbo lancer.

but if the guy is convinced the manual ecobox will be enough for him then let it be. whatever makes the person happy.

me personally would have gotten the ralliart, and if it would have had to go to the GTS, i wouldnt even have considered it if i wanted performance. i would have got another car like a genesis or something that can be a real performance car. or at least at worst, a civic Si, something you can make good power out of.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

if i couldnt get an evo x, and it was between a manual GTS and automatic ralliart, id take the GTS. yes, i love driving manual transmission that much
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

awd>fwd ALL DAY
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

Every drivetrain has its pro's and con's. There is nothing wrong with FWD. It can also handle pretty well when properly tuned.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

haha @09_GTS_MITSU
he dont know what he is talking about
lol...a ralliart with a manual?
lol, what a lousy lancer fan
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:06 PM

5-speed lancer gts ftw all day errrrr day. those are the fun to drive cars for daily driving. i dont really need a track ready car for every where i go. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: difference between ralliart and Gts