Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

2002 to 2006 Lancer Turbo's W/Automatics that tune their own ECU's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 to 2006 Lancer Turbo's W/Automatics that tune their own ECU's

I know there are a decent amount of us base model lancer guys with automatics that have added turbo's. I have already searched throughout the forums and have yet to find anything related to what I'm looking for. That being said, and saving myself the sanity of trying to ask every auto lancer guy here separately, I'll ask it generally and see if it draws out one of us that may be able to help...

What I'm looking for is if anyone with an auto thats turbo'd and tunes their own ECU's, regarding their shift points (SHIFT PRESSURE). Anyone thats looks into their own roms knows we have the ability to manipulate values in our automatic tranny's.

My tranny is actually in great condition, but since I shift manually with my selector, and plan soon to install a ratchet shifter, I would like to be able to make the adjustments in the rom to make the shifts themselves more responsive.

shifting from 1st to 2nd is already good, but 2nd to 3rd is actually the slowest. I move the selector from 2nd to 3rd and it can be a delay sometimes of 2 seconds before the gear itself actually grabs into 3rd which is kinda lame. and 3rd to 4th or drive, is close to the same.

Any Idea's/help will be awesome. And of course if one of you actually have gone in there and actually made changes that have had positive results and would be willing to help out myself and even others. Please comment here. Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone? lol
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm thats weird mine is very very fast to shift into the next gear but i did notice that at the factory rev limiter it does shift slow I rev mine to 6800 and shifts nicely with the stock values for it .
There is a slight delay to respond maybe half a second but it does not delay the actual shift from gear to gear just my command to it .
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Mine shifts tighter too if I'm at a higher RPM. Just not say around 4000rpm or less. Way more delayed at those RPM's . Thats why I'm hoping one of us Auto guys has messed with the values in their ROM to tighten up the pressure values. And if they have what the trim settings were, That way I could have something to work off of. Our Auto's are not nearly as talked about/discussed in forum. It may be something we just have to deal with. But I do think since we do have the ability to change values for our tranny in our roms, there is hopefully someone thats tapped into it that all of us can benefit from. Not just having it be responsive in high RPM's, but all.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Truthfully i have always thought my trans is perfect always very smooth fast shifts no matter what Rpm . I can post a video so that you can compare . I have always changed my trans fluid at 15000k
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Truthfully i have always thought my trans is perfect always very smooth fast shifts no matter what Rpm . I can post a video so that you can compare . I have always changed my trans fluid at 15000k
Not sure changing it every 15000 is needed, but at the same time, it can't hurt it
I did just flush mine about 3000 miles ago. So I'm good there. I did just think about this though. The EVO 7 had a decent amount of Auto Versions which also happens to be what my Speed Density ROM was based off of, and Maybe someone that owns one of those may chime in. I still say someone here has delved into that portion of their ROM with positive results thats willing to share with the rest of us. A video would be fine.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm auto but have never looked into the shifting points.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me either. Since nothing was known really on a desired number I've never messed with it. I have been curious though.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Me either. Since nothing was known really on a desired number I've never messed with it. I have been curious though.
I am very curious.... The one main reason I wanna get it figured out is, when its cold...(tranny). It has a tendency to be real jerky til its warmed up and once its fully warmed up it loses a little to much of its response. Actually an additional tranny cooler may help with it once its warmed up, but still want to fine tune it just like we do our engine mods. I want to get the most out of my cars ability with what I have up to this point.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm surprised that 02-lancer isn't changed with the way he rips down the track.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
I'm surprised that 02-lancer isn't changed with the way he rips down the track.
LOL...Well I might just have to Ginny-Pig myself and just mess around with very small changes in shift pressures and see what happens. And if I find something valuable that could benefit us, I'll definitely be sharing it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grind3r
LOL...Well I might just have to Ginny-Pig myself and just mess around with very small changes in shift pressures and see what happens. And if I find something valuable that could benefit us, I'll definitely be sharing it.
I've already confirmed they work.

Just ignore 5th gear thats just a sloppy copy and paste on my part.

As for the shift maps the units are in relation to output shaft speed the default and table are basically unknown for changing shift points but i have some theories.

I can tell from the code that between the 4 map sets (shift maps 1-4) that 1 and 3 are related and 2 and 4 are related.

The transmission logic is called INVECS which has a way of determining via input if the driver is aggressive, if it should brake going downhill, and downshift while uphill etc which is probably why there are 4 sets of maps which it interpolates from.

The maps are definitely setup to switch between 2 variables. In one variable the maps go from 1 and 3 to map set 2 and 4 depending if its set or not. The next one determines within those maps if 1-4 is used or 5-8. One of the variables is likely the brake switch. The other could be an incline/decline switch for downhill shifting.

The left hand side of the maps is throttle position most likely in volts and the right hand side is the output shaft speed in some hz measurement most likely.

Each set of shift point maps is in a set of 2 1-4 being a set and 5-8 being a set which are switched via some method. I'm not positive but for maps sets 2 and 4 the load may be something other than the throttle plate like brake pressure or maybe the incline switch is variable.

Each set of maps should relate to the four gears. Gear 1 being map 1 and 5, Gear 2 being 2 and 6, and so on. These tables may be minimum and maximum shaft speed ranges before the the car downshifts or upshift but that is unknown. It will take testing to find out which map set is currently enabled. I would start with gear 1 and set it to a high value, whatever the max of that table is and see how it responds to gas input, braking. Then we can by assumption find out where the incline/decline values are.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
I've already confirmed they work.

Just ignore 5th gear thats just a sloppy copy and paste on my part.

As for the shift maps the units are in relation to output shaft speed the default and table are basically unknown for changing shift points but i have some theories.

I can tell from the code that between the 4 map sets (shift maps 1-4) that 1 and 3 are related and 2 and 4 are related.

The transmission logic is called INVECS which has a way of determining via input if the driver is aggressive, if it should brake going downhill, and downshift while uphill etc which is probably why there are 4 sets of maps which it interpolates from.

The maps are definitely setup to switch between 2 variables. In one variable the maps go from 1 and 3 to map set 2 and 4 depending if its set or not. The next one determines within those maps if 1-4 is used or 5-8. One of the variables is likely the brake switch. The other could be an incline/decline switch for downhill shifting.

The left hand side of the maps is throttle position most likely in volts and the right hand side is the output shaft speed in some hz measurement most likely.

Each set of shift point maps is in a set of 2 1-4 being a set and 5-8 being a set which are switched via some method. I'm not positive but for maps sets 2 and 4 the load may be something other than the throttle plate like brake pressure or maybe the incline switch is variable.

Each set of maps should relate to the four gears. Gear 1 being map 1 and 5, Gear 2 being 2 and 6, and so on. These tables may be minimum and maximum shaft speed ranges before the the car downshifts or upshift but that is unknown. It will take testing to find out which map set is currently enabled. I would start with gear 1 and set it to a high value, whatever the max of that table is and see how it responds to gas input, braking. Then we can by assumption find out where the incline/decline values are.
Sweet.... I do remember a mention on this in your big maps for our auto's thread, Aaron from ER actually had questions related to it as well, since they are working on their auto evo's for racing, but in my last conversation with him, he had yet delved into it.

Ok...so I will test this out over the weekend. I like your test idea, cause it should give us a little incite as to where to go from there. I do honestly believe if this untapped area, (at least as far as i can find) can be helpful....
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

The oil cooler deff helps out alot!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I actually thinking oil and tranny cooler. Both would probably be a +

Quick Reply: 2002 to 2006 Lancer Turbo's W/Automatics that tune their own ECU's