Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

home made turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2002, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question home made turbo kit

I got board one weekend and decided to turbo the wifes lancer out of some old turbo goodies from a 1G AWD manual. Everything turned out good I put bigger pump, rising rate regulator, and I am only running it at 4psi,but it still runs lean under boost. I am thinking about installing a fith injector in the intake piping before the throttle body to give it a little more under boost. Does any body have any thoughts on the idea?
Old Sep 1, 2002, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Adding a fifth injector might be to much trouble. Consider perhaps getting uprated injectors or having the stock ones enlargened. Try looking at RC Engineering or RPW for either or. Do you have any fuel management electronics and gauges so you can monitor this stuff, like an AFC?
Old Sep 2, 2002, 03:14 AM

your talking some big money for big injectors and an afc to control them. I have already built a circuit to run another injector just havent hooked it up yet. Have a pocket logger to record test runs, fuel pressure gauge, and boost gauge. Trying to keep the cost down this is why i built my own kit. I will get it fixed it is just a matter of tuning it right. thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Hey motojoe,great looking setup how about giving some detail on how you put your turbo setup together, parts.. mdifications to make them work... any problems encountered and what was done to surpass them I would prefer to build my own turbo setup due to a limited supply of funds and I am sure many others are interested allso
Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:28 PM

yes please do tell joe im sure many people will be interested im one also some dyno runs will be good thanks and nice setup looks very clean
Old Sep 3, 2002, 08:33 AM

well i have td05 1g eclipse turbo mounted to a custom header and downpipe. I am using a deltagate wastegate that is plumbed back into downpipe. I am using 1g blow off valve. I am using 2.5 piping and rubber connection fittings from road race. Also have road race rising rate regulator and high flow cat. Used a high flow fuel pump from extreme motorsports. The only problem i have come across is i am still running to lean (.86-.90) at only 3psi. Also timing is being retarded by ecu. I use 92 octane fuel or higher and spark plugs 2 heat ranges lower. I need to update my picts i have changed a few things, but for the most part it is the same. well as far as dyno results I need to tune first then play or that will be the only dyno run i get. well if you want to know more fell free to ask.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

did you make the welds on the piping yourself?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 09:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Considering how much money you may have to spend if you run lean for an extended period of time it'd prolly be very worthwhile getting some sort of fuel management.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:52 AM

A fifth injector setup is valid, but it'll be difficult to get a proper duty cycle to it, and the decision of when to activate it and all that of course is touchy.

He's working in a very old-school world. Gonna run really rich, but like he said, affordable.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 01:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I meant running lean as it is at present, not with the 5th injector. Personally I'd try to get it precise the first time. I've done too many projects and not realized I didn't have all the tools to finish until it was too late. (not on my car thank god ) I worry a lot about that kinda thing. Hey, at least it's his wife's car and not his own, right?
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:13 AM

well as far as not knowing running lean was going to happen, i new it was going to happen i just thought it would of been ok with some minor modes like fuel pump and regulator. That is the price you pay for building your first entire turbo kit from scratch give me a break. also yes i did weld everything my self and no i am not a professional welder but it did the job. Getting the duty cycle is easy, you just let the ecu control it by pulling a signal from two injectors at oppisite rotations. If it runs to rich then i will reduce fuel pressure to the fifth injector and/or slow down the pulse width, that just means alittle design change in my controller. I can e-mail you a scamatic of the circuit board if you want to really know how we did it. well the wife is very cool and would let me take as long as it took to make it right besides if i have to give up which i won't then i just take the whole kit off sell it to some one who has more money than me and start over.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 07:42 AM

use some sort of injector controller to take the guesswork out on how to control the 5th injector. brands include GReddy, Haltech, Link, etc. right now i'm using the PowerLink 200 and it works great! there's a potentiometer to control duty cycle of the injector.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:12 AM

hey i think what youve done to your lancer is great however if you take the time to email me the steps and parts to how you did it i would be much apperciative... geewoner@yahoo.com or here on this site
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the size of the stock Lancer's injectors?

I would go with getting larger injectors, but nothing larger than 30-40% from stock or you'll have idle problems. The stock ecu should be able to control injectors 30-40% larger than stock.

What's the rate of your rising rate reg.? Most are 8:1, maybe you could go with a 12:1 ratio reg. but if your injectors are already hitting .86-.90 duty cycles, it'll be worse with the higher rate reg. with the added fuel pressure you'll be maxing out the injectors at less rpm than now.

My suggestion would be slightly larger injectors maybe 280cc-310cc MAX. and an adjuistable FPR. Or if your willing to spend the money an AFC would be much more accurate.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Motojoe we all appreciate your time explaining your home brew turbo. It gives all us with out the $4000, but save enough here and there to start peiceing together and fabricating a turbo some insperation

Last edited by andenbre; Sep 5, 2002 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: home made turbo kit